Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter | Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Porter

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is an original specialty beer that has been brewed expressly for tavern owners and family trade since 1829. We are proud to be recognized as one of the largest porter producers in the US. An authentic craft-style beer, our Porter calls for a generous portion of caramel and dark roasted malts, which deliver a rich full-bodied flavor and creamy taste with slight tones of chocolate evident in every sip. It pours dark, topped with a thick foamy head, and imparts a faint malty aroma. This smooth and robust Porter has a unique character that complements any meal from steak or seafood to chocolate desserts. Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is enjoyed by even the most discerning consumer for its flawless taste and unwavering quality.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

3.4

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,059 |  Reviews: 406

I always try to have a case in the fridge.I love porters and Yuengling is my favorite.Bottle or tap!

This is my go to beer year round.
I enjoy one or two every evening.
I have tried Porter beers from around the world. But, this Yuengling Porter is my all time favorite.
I enjoy drinking it very cold.
The taste satisfies me. Very refreshing, with a good mouth feel.
I cannot recommend this Brand, Yuengling Porter enough.
Nice mellow malt flavor, not harsh, not overwhelming, no strange after taste.
I highly recommend this American Made beer. Try it.

4.94/5  rDev +46.6%

I love this porter. Again not the best porter i have had but very drinkable. Dark and rich in color and little to medium head. Tastes of malts and hints of chocolate. Very irresistable taste that the average drinker will enjoy cant get enough of this porter

4.87/5  rDev +44.5%

4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

For many years, I thought if I were marooned on a desert island with only one beer to drink, Yuengling Porter would be my beer of choice. Now a few years later in life, Yuengling Porter has been nudged out for this personal choice, by a few European beers such as Salvador Doppelbock & Corsonke Christmas Ale, I still consider Yuengling Porter to be the best American mass produced beer.

I can relate many good times to this Porter and have yet to find any consistently produced American Porter to match it.

4.75/5  rDev +40.9%

4.67/5  rDev +38.6%

Revisiting this beer again after many years. I notice the label has been redesigned.

Pours a dark chocolate color. A beer in a grey flannel suit.

Smell is cool seashells, carob, slate, and a pure mist of carbon dioxide. A hint of iodine peeks through as well -- this is a directed, clean, determined beer.

Taste is wonderfully controlled, with the slight cheese of Hershey's Milk Chocolate, a backboard-straight malt center, and a firm finish from the lager yeast. This is truly minimalist expression in a glass, and beautifully done; it is steady, sedate as a rock garden, and perfectly pleasing. This is a complete package, with no frills, no excesses, no missteps. Not too much, not too little. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel is fairly good -- solid, supportive, and active. There is the sensation of many sliding, tightly-packed bubbles, never too stiff, but certainly with a full presence.

Drinkability is quite good; this beer particularly shines when paired with very spicy food. It puts out the fire, refreshes the palate, and even adds its own savory note. In particular, I can think of no better tipple with numbingly-spicy Sichuan cuisine.

It's funny how time changes our perception of what we imbibe. It doesn't seem that there have been major changes made to Yuengling Porter since 2003, when I last reviewed it, but my appreciation has grown immensely. The austerity of this beer, the flavor profile of this lager porter, one of, if not the, last of its kind, speaks to me. Who needs lots of alcohol, and overwrought flavors, and all those other high-octane tricks?

This is back to basics. This is, in an ideal world, what should capture the imagination of the craft movement. This is a beer to be meditated on. Consider it, and consider yourself.

Original Review, September 2003:

Hints of a chunky, fudge-y, chocolate-y taste to this one, but it never totally follows through on its promise. Major drawbacks are that aroma isn't really there, and the mouthfeel is pretty thin.

As a porter, I think this has great potential, but it's just a bit short. Still doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

I'm a sucker for their lager, having grown up on it, but I have to say, this is Yuengling's best beer -- a journeyman baseball player in the world of brewing. For a solid, consistent, very cheap dark session beer, this is what I'm probably going to pick up

Try this with some dark chocolate at the same time -- not bad.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

I am new to the beer tasting game but to this point I must say that Yuengling Porter (Dark Brewed) is my favorite. On the palate the flavors consist of chocolate notes, and coffee flavor. Goes down very easy and feels great in my mouth. In a word; SMOOTH!

4.58/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +35.6%

Pours a deep, dark brown with a mocha head and a decent amount of lacing.

Smells mostly of malts, maybe some coffee or chocolate. Loved the aroma

Taste matches the aroma well. Very good could drink a few in one sitting.

If I could make it over to PA or know someone going that way would definitely buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I love this brew, and think its an absolute steal at the $6.99 price point. Smooth, silky, creamy and very drinkable. In fact, possibly the most drinkable porter on the market. Very dark, even darker than many stouts, and the hints of chocolate and coffee are just right. The only thing that is holding me back from giving this fine porter a perfect 5 is its low alcohol content. I generally prefer my porters and stouts to be at least be over 6%, but I'm willing to overlook the 4.7% ABV just because this brew is an absolute pleasure to drink. This brew is a must try for all porter fans.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Yuengling Porter has a thin, beige head, a very dark brown (with ruby highlights) appearance, and minimal glass lacing. The aroma is of cream, dark-roasted, but not burnt, malts, and brown sugar. Taste is of bread crust, an acrid note, some char, peat, and cream. Hop bitterness is low. Mouthfeel is medium, and Yuengling Porter finishes mostly dry.

RJT