Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter | Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Dark Brewed PorterYuengling Dark Brewed Porter

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is an original specialty beer that has been brewed expressly for tavern owners and family trade since 1829. We are proud to be recognized as one of the largest porter producers in the US. An authentic craft-style beer, our Porter calls for a generous portion of caramel and dark roasted malts, which deliver a rich full-bodied flavor and creamy taste with slight tones of chocolate evident in every sip. It pours dark, topped with a thick foamy head, and imparts a faint malty aroma. This smooth and robust Porter has a unique character that complements any meal from steak or seafood to chocolate desserts. Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is enjoyed by even the most discerning consumer for its flawless taste and unwavering quality.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 1,030
3.51/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really like Yuengling's flagship lager. I saw this in the store and was quite surprised. I had no idea that Yuengling also brewed ales (dark ales at that!), so I had to give this a try. Here goes:

A: I liked it a lot. Pours black (but not too dark); great head with good retention time. I was actually shocked at the size of the head and how long it lingered. Very good for a porter.

S: I liked it. Heavily-kilned dark-chocolate malts; almost no hop character. Hints of caramel and butterscotch. Overall very good for the style.

T: Again, pretty good. It's very light, but that's to be expected given the style (if you want a full-bodied dark ale, try an imperial porter or stout). Chocolate is present throughout. Caramel, toffee and butterscotch lightly grace the palate. No hop character. The beer is somewhat creamy, but again it's a little too light-bodied to be characterized as such.

M: Very light. Nothing special but nothing lacking if you drink this beer with the right expectations.

O: Good. I probably wouldn't go for it again, as I like the regular amber Yuenling lager a bit more. However, for the price it's a very good beer. If you want a cheap porter, I would highly recommend this one.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real thick and off tan to light coffee colored head, big and three fingers tall, and a huge styrofoam swiss cheese top. Dark brown walnut body and some nice red hued edges. Some faint rising tan carbonation as well. Pretty good looking porter.

The aroma comes off a bit wet and clean. Very light grains and airy. Minimal roasting character and char if hardly any. Not bad, but not real solid either.

Palate seems to match the nose quite a bit. Light bodied wetness, and a bit of sticky yeast. Bags of decomposing leaves a bit on the roast and bitterness, with minimal dryness. Quite wet and minimal sensing chocolate a bit.

Overall it doesn't have much going on, but it's pleasant and drinks easily.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Yuengling Porter 6pk $6.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date.

pours almost black. a good sign of a good porter. Light does show through the glass, but no more than Guinness draught. A nice two and a half finger creamy tan head, it doesn't last long however gives way to decent lacing.

i can smell roasted malts, caramel, coffee and a slight hint of cocoa. Pretty good, nice and inviting.

taste follows the nose but much more flavorful and robust. Starts with a nice roasted taste, followed by a hint of caramel and coffee. Ending with a bitter-sweet slight chocolate taste. No complaints here.

mouth feel is rather light, but most porters are. Has a nice feel, good carbonation. Not as rich or as creamy as some porters, but this brew is at a bargain price.

Overall this brew is excellent, for it's price range. An amazing bargain porter that everyone should try once. Not my go to porter but for the price i like it and will not complain.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Dark brown with a mahogany tent when put up to the light. Soapy one finger tan head. Looks the part!

Smell: Faint roasted malts and caramel

Taste: More notable than the nose. Subtle roasted malts and enough earthy hops to balance it out. Dark fruits (prunes, raisins) are present as well

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side; Slight hop bitterness. Not as creamy as I hoped for.

Overall: Pretty much what I expected a yuengling porter would be like. I don't know if it's a result of caramel coloring, but all Yuengling beers that I've tried look better than they actually are. Very mild for the style, but like the lager, you can't do much better for the price.

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a near black in color with a tan head fades to a thin skin, but with clinging side glass lace.
Aroma, brings some caramel with some coffee and cocoa and some cold metal
Taste brings some sweetness, along with the caramel and burnt notes. Hop bitterness brings in a semi-dry good finish
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and creamy.
Not a big Porter guy, but this one works for me as a dinner beverage.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This porter is a great value.

The appearance is dark with tan head. Has a malty flavor. Not too strong. Feels a little thin, but it has good carbonation.

If you are looking for a decent porter at a bargain price, Yuengling hit the nail on the head.

3.93/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Typical dark dark amber porter appearance.

Smell: Slightly sweeter smell than most porters.

Taste: This I was rather surprised of for a super cheap in-the-area porter. It has a balanced sweet roasted character with a well put together bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation, surprisingly smooth.

Overall: for a cheaper porter, this is stunningly delicious. Completely recommend this to anyone looking for a drinking porter that you wont get sick of!

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark black color with a thin head with short retention but leaving laces.
Creamy chocolate aroma with notes of cherries and licorice
Taste follows nose, flavor of roasted malts with notes of coffee, cocoa, licorice, earthy hops, dark fruits and nuts. Slightly lactic and sour. Quite dry aftertaste with a long bitter roasted note.
Light, but deceiving body with medium carbonation.
Very decent Porter from the oldest brewery in the US. This was surprisingly tasty and not as plain as I expected. I did like its light lactic twist and prolonged roasted profile.

3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

DATE TASTED: December 19, 2013... GLASSWARE: Guinness pint...OCCASION: prep for The Desolation of Smaug with a review of another old favorite... APPEARANCE: as expected dark black with a dragon's red eye when held to the light; head is two-fingered at the start; brown slush settles quickly; zero lacing.. AROMA: caramel, chocolate, and vanilla with some peaty notes--a rugged and ready mix of winter scents... PALATE: slick, medium-bodied; drinkable and soda-esque...TASTE: sugary slightly chocolaty and smoky, with some lactic presence too--a balanced, pleasant experience...OVERALL: like The Hobbit\, this beer doesn't disappoint, despite repeated viewings--er, tastings--and though the critic in me knows bigger, bolder, more unique porters exist, I find Yuengling's version more sessionable, less demanding and in line with the spirit of the genre--fortified ale for the working man...

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer has become a staple for me. While it falls short of many of the other porters out there, at this price point, you really can't do much better.

This is certainly my favorite yuengling offering. An attractive pour, mild scent, but flavoral in comparison to other yuengling beers. The porter is roasty, with an easy moutfeel. At 4.7%, a nice session beer.

Overall - nothing to write home about...a bit boring, but satisfying none the less.

4.94/5  rDev +47%

I love this porter. Again not the best porter i have had but very drinkable. Dark and rich in color and little to medium head. Tastes of malts and hints of chocolate. Very irresistable taste that the average drinker will enjoy cant get enough of this porter

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, with a beige thin head.

Smell: Nutty and fruity, maybe some toasted malts.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of malts and nuts, some fruits as well but mild, sweeter than bitter.

Overall: Not really a porter drinker, but I am a fan of Yuengling so had to try this one out. It was ok.

2.49/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is dark brown with very thin head that does not last.
Slight Smell of roasted malt.
Taste thin sweet with very little bitterness
Mouthfeel is lacking the heaviness usually associated with porter style.
Wife purchased this dark because of lack of cash.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Was talking about Yuengling's various offerings with my girlfriend's father, so I decided to pick up a few bottles of this to test out. Not that familiar with the style, but here goes...

A- A thing of beauty. Black and opaque, deep crimson highlights if held up to the light. 1.5 finger creamy brown/tan head that dwindles to nearly nothing.

S- Kind of smells like regular Yuengling, but maybe with sweeter malts.

T- Nothing much up front, and then: BAM. Boozy coffee. Has some hop bitterness but mostly derives flavors from malts. Has a sort of bitter aftertaste unfortunately. Definitely not a rebottled Yuengling lager with some brown food dye, this is an entity of its own.

M- Heavy, but with some definite carbonation happening.

O- Yuengling's lager is one of my favorites for everyday style drinking, so I'm kind of bummed out that I don't love this. That being said, I'm pretty unfamiliar with porter, and will drink this one again in time... maybe when the air gets cooler.

4.36/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Taken fromhttp://snailstales.blogspot.com/2006/01/friday-nites-beer-review-yuengling.html

The Yuengling Brewery at Pottsville, Pennsylvania, claims to be the oldest one in the U.S. It was founded in 1829 by David G. Yuengling, a German immigrant. The original spelling of his last name must have been Jüngling, meaning "young man". In fact, the English word youngling comes from jüngling. But, despite what they say at their web site, jüngling is not pronounced "ying-ling". That certainly makes it sound oritental, doesn't it?

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a dark opaque brown with a nice bit of frothy tan head. Clings to the edge of the mug. Great lacing.

Smell is not very distinct, some dark malts and hints of caramel.

Taste is a bit more complex but not much. The dark roasted malt flavor is there but it never really develops. Maybe some caramel, coffee, and chocolate notes, but this is nowhere near the complexity of Founders Porter.

Mouthfeel is nice enough but not really what I look for in this style. Light bodied and heavily carbonated, which makes for easy drinking but does not allow the flavors to linger.

Overall a good session porter, if there is such a thing, but this does limit the appeal to drinkers looking for more complex flavors.

2.19/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

First off, look where the brewery is. Fun! I have actually been to Pottsville. I have heard rumors then named the town after me. But I will leave that for you to decide. Also, we have to thank Scott for this. He brought us two bottles of this on his last trip to the Valley. He actually handed them to us after a pint at Fate Brewing Company right here in Scottsdale. He will be vital in the success of our list as much as he travels. Cheers, Scott!

I haven't had this beer before, but I am a HUGE fan of Yuengling. We couldn't get it in Indiana, but every time I went to Florida I would grab some. There were times I wouldn't make it out of the airport before I grabbed a pint. We moved to Arizona, and can't get it here, either. We have a bottle of Yuengling left, and thanks to our good friend Dennis, he snagged us a can of Yuengling Light the last time he was on vacation. We will be doing an "off the wall" review of those two beers next. Sad we can't get them here, but it makes the beer that much more enjoyable. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a nice thin white head with a carbonated lace. Hearing how thin this beer tastes has me concerned about my overall enjoyment of it, but the fact this recipe dates back to 1829 is pretty exciting. That, and it comes from the oldest brewery in the United States.

Nose: Not much going on here. There is a subtle malty aroma, but nothing to write home about. It's actually quite bland, to be honest. If I am getting anything it's a nice dark chocolate aroma. Granted, I have a glass of hops sitting there that I have been sipping on. Beats the Rolling Rock and Natural Ice I had at dinner! By the way, Culinary Dropout is a great restaurant if you are ever in the Valley.

Flavor: What flavor? There isn't much going on here. It is lightly carbonated, but the flavors don't really come out until the aftertaste. To be completely honest, this beer is boring with very little character. This is NOT a typical porter, that's for sure. I wonder what makes it "dark brewed"...

Mouthfeel: There is a light carbonation up front, but the beer is easy to drink. It is quite thin on my palate, offering very little body. If i was doing a blind taste test with this, I would never consider this a porter. I know that is the point… but add a little creaminess to it, or something. You do get a little bit of chocolate malt character toward the finish, but it comes and goes just as fast.

Aftertaste: There isn't much aroma on this. There isn't much flavor. There also isn't much in the aftertaste. I am not getting much of anything, really. I get this is an old recipe… but maybe they should consider changing the recipe to keep up with the modern craft beer revolution.

They might have named Pottsville after me, but this isn't a beer that I would approve them brewing in my town! (I am kidding… they didn't really name Pottsville after me. Or did they?) I will stick with my Yuenling and leave the dark brewed porter for the birds.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Yuengling Brewery Porter (Dark Brewed), American Porter 4.70% alcohol by volume. First time having this brew poured into a pint glass with a little vigor.

A- Vigorous pour lands a one inch tan-brown head that eventually falls to a ring of froth that sticks to the glass with some passion in a star-like method.

S- Scent is slightly disappointing with a small amount of caramel and oak hinting in the forefront and maybe a little brown sugar and maple syrup in the back end of the nose.

T-M- Taste is noted with mild smokiness and hints of caramel chocolate. A light watery mouthfeel pushes the flavors to the back of the tongue and doesn't allow for the body to fully evolve but all and all the flavor is smooth and tolerable and a session at that.

Overall I like this beer and it would pair up to many dishes without breaking the bank when chosing a beer to do so. Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Got this in a make your own 6 pack at the local grocery store.

Smelled some wintery carmel notes, and hops, maybe a little chocolate

Taste actually surprised me, it is surprsingly a mooth initial taste but then the after taste was a little bitter. Was expecting a completely bitter beer. The mouth feel was a little bitter but balanced. Very complex need to have another in order to get a better feel for the brand and style but this beer made me want to have another.

Another solid brew from a solid brewery.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, one of my friends gave me a bottle to try. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head that didn't stay around for too long. There isn't much lacing, either. The brew smells like roasted malt, caramel, bittersweet chocolate and some grain. It tastes like roasted and grainy malt, and some light coffee, chocolate, and dark fruit. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a little bit slick with good carbonation. It's not exactly a robust porter, but it is smooth and easy to drink. For the price, it's a decent, drinkable brew. If you're looking for a porter that's very easy to drink, this is a good pick.

Yuengling Porter gets a bit of a "bump" in my rating because it is the brew that got me into craft beer way back in 1999. For that, I'm forever thankful. I make it back to PA a few times each year, and I always have a YP as a tribute to the beer that started everything for me.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark brown in color with an aggressive head that noisily dissipates to a mere patch of tine bubbles on the surface.

S: Aroma is primarily breadiness, with slight hints of sweetness and dark fruits, and almost a molasses type of smell with little else going on that I can pick up.

T: Ah, slight hints of dark fruits, a little bit of yeast, slight notes of burnt caramel and little else.

M: A little watery, it is very clean with an amount of carbonation that seems just a bit much for the flavors going on here.

O: Overall, not too impressive, this isn't like most other porters I have had, it's a little easier going and could potentially make a good session beer.

2.71/5  rDev -19.3%

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Try Before You Die" -- #12 of the ones I've reviewed here.

A disappointment -- it's been awhile since I had this and I remembered this being tastier than it in fact is. It pours very nice indeed, a very dark brown with a fluffly brown-tinged head that nonetheless is quite resilient. It looks as though it's going to be something special. Unfortunately the nose is light -- malt syrup over cooked grain -- and the taste is even lighter, maybe very light sweet malt but even that's stretching it a little, maybe it's closer to a light sweet "beer" taste. Body is quite watery and the finish is non-existant, so what little it manages to cook up in your mouth disappears quick.

A prime example of how a beer can look "strong-tasting" but not in fact taste like much of anything. The fact that a very popular beer here in Philadelphia is Yuengling's Black and Tan, which cuts this with their (IMHO overpraised) Lager, is endlessly amusing to me.

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%

A - extremely dark and clear. I had to put a flashlight behind the glass to see how clear it is. Head is tan and settles quickly.

S - Metallic and dark fruit. Burnt caramel. No noticeable esters or diacytl.

T - Thin. Light chocolate notes. Very clean.

M - Thin and overly carbonated.

A nice casual porter. No bold flavors are present. No real English character. A porter for those who want something simple rather than complex.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Yuengling Porter

LOOK: Clear dark brown colored brew with a light tan topping that retains well.

SMELL: Faint cocoa like malty ness and a bit of grain.

TASTE: Grains, roasted malts, vague herbal hopping and a bit watery. Mild cocoa and coffee. Also has a little twang to it from the house Yuengling yeast.

FEEL: Light to medium bodied, well carbonated , but thin and kind of watery.

OVERALL: Not a bad brew from Yuengling, a bit roasty but also lacking a solid body. About average porter.

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter from Yuengling Brewery