Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter | Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Porter

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is an original specialty beer that has been brewed expressly for tavern owners and family trade since 1829. We are proud to be recognized as one of the largest porter producers in the US. An authentic craft-style beer, our Porter calls for a generous portion of caramel and dark roasted malts, which deliver a rich full-bodied flavor and creamy taste with slight tones of chocolate evident in every sip. It pours dark, topped with a thick foamy head, and imparts a faint malty aroma. This smooth and robust Porter has a unique character that complements any meal from steak or seafood to chocolate desserts. Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is enjoyed by even the most discerning consumer for its flawless taste and unwavering quality.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Ratings: 1,041 |  Reviews: 398

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

2.19/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

First off, look where the brewery is. Fun! I have actually been to Pottsville. I have heard rumors then named the town after me. But I will leave that for you to decide. Also, we have to thank Scott for this. He brought us two bottles of this on his last trip to the Valley. He actually handed them to us after a pint at Fate Brewing Company right here in Scottsdale. He will be vital in the success of our list as much as he travels. Cheers, Scott!

I haven't had this beer before, but I am a HUGE fan of Yuengling. We couldn't get it in Indiana, but every time I went to Florida I would grab some. There were times I wouldn't make it out of the airport before I grabbed a pint. We moved to Arizona, and can't get it here, either. We have a bottle of Yuengling left, and thanks to our good friend Dennis, he snagged us a can of Yuengling Light the last time he was on vacation. We will be doing an "off the wall" review of those two beers next. Sad we can't get them here, but it makes the beer that much more enjoyable. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer is pitch black in the glass. It has a nice thin white head with a carbonated lace. Hearing how thin this beer tastes has me concerned about my overall enjoyment of it, but the fact this recipe dates back to 1829 is pretty exciting. That, and it comes from the oldest brewery in the United States.

Nose: Not much going on here. There is a subtle malty aroma, but nothing to write home about. It's actually quite bland, to be honest. If I am getting anything it's a nice dark chocolate aroma. Granted, I have a glass of hops sitting there that I have been sipping on. Beats the Rolling Rock and Natural Ice I had at dinner! By the way, Culinary Dropout is a great restaurant if you are ever in the Valley.

Flavor: What flavor? There isn't much going on here. It is lightly carbonated, but the flavors don't really come out until the aftertaste. To be completely honest, this beer is boring with very little character. This is NOT a typical porter, that's for sure. I wonder what makes it "dark brewed"...

Mouthfeel: There is a light carbonation up front, but the beer is easy to drink. It is quite thin on my palate, offering very little body. If i was doing a blind taste test with this, I would never consider this a porter. I know that is the point… but add a little creaminess to it, or something. You do get a little bit of chocolate malt character toward the finish, but it comes and goes just as fast.

Aftertaste: There isn't much aroma on this. There isn't much flavor. There also isn't much in the aftertaste. I am not getting much of anything, really. I get this is an old recipe… but maybe they should consider changing the recipe to keep up with the modern craft beer revolution.

They might have named Pottsville after me, but this isn't a beer that I would approve them brewing in my town! (I am kidding… they didn't really name Pottsville after me. Or did they?) I will stick with my Yuenling and leave the dark brewed porter for the birds.

1.75/5  rDev -47.9%