Organic IPA | Napa Smith Brewery

napasmithbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by DousedInStout on 03-09-2010

4.75/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one just tastes great. If you are looking for a California west coast bitterness weaponized IPA, look elsewhere. This is just a good, solid, delicious IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +38.1%

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've had. The floral and citrus notes explode! I was surprised how clean the taste was with such a cloudy pour. Wonderful flavor! Sweet, hoppy, & a bit of a floral note. Clean finish.

4.72/5  rDev +37.2%

After trying the Lost Dog I saw this OIPA on BA and couldn't wait to try it. Had a buddy send me some bottles and I couldn't be more happy about it!

Poured a nice golden copper into a pint glass with very good head retention.

Aroma is citrus and spice, I may have been hallucinating but I think I got some honeydew?

Taste was twice as good as aroma, several flavors complementing each other.

This was arguably one of the best IPA's I've tried, great balance, not too overpowering, but enough of a kick to keep you awake.

4.47/5  rDev +29.9%

I accidentally got this beer as a rogue member of a 4pk of Hopageddon. not sure how it got mixed in... Normally I intentionally avoid anything with an "organic" moniker due to the associations with social groups/political factions that I don't really like.

Let me begin the actual review by saying that I really like Hopageddon. It is easily one of the best tasting beers I drink. It is just a little more expensive than I like. Normally a 4pk of Hopageddon is around $12 where I can find it. Is it worth it? Yes.

So the Organic IPA is great. It is smooth, it tastes good, and it smells terrific. If you like hop-forward IPAs I would venture to say that you would like this beer. It is not as hop-forward as Hopageddon...almost seems like a smoother or "light" version. The taste does a great job of masking the alcohol content, which frankly is not that high anyways.

I recommend it to anyone that likes IPAs. You won't be disappointed.

4.43/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice hazy copper color ipa. Hoppy with nice citris. On tap at Henleys Augustine.

4.36/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

White fluffy head and a slightly hazy amber body. The head rose to be rather large. Very floral in the nose. The lacing is ridiculous. Sides of the glass are thick with foam. It almost seems like this beer is infused with actual flowers.

It's pretty awesome stuff and at a great price for a 22 ouncer. Definitely recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This be my 1st review. Felt compelled to speak up since the beer only makes a 78 and I think it rates 85-90. Not savvy in all the lingo but here goes.

Pours a deep-orange copper with noticeable sediment. Head is moderate.

Smell is unique in my experience -- most prominent is SWEET CARAMEL, and fruity hops.

Taste matches smell with a sweet, creamy, delicious party in my mouth :-) Like other full-bodied beers I've had, it's like a meal-in-a-glass. Usually don't experience this kind of body with less than 9-10% alc.

Finishes with caramel stuck to the top of the palette, and a slightly bitter, grapefruity finish.

This is the BEST ORGANIC I've experienced -- and makes it onto my favorite beer list as well. It's unlike most IPAs I've had as hops aren't as in-your-face.

4.32/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured a bright, pale orange color with white head. The foam dissipates slowly with the lacing lasting all the way to the end.

The aroma is a beautiful bouquet of citrus fruits and flowers - mostly dominated by tangerines, ruby red grapefruit, a hint of fresh pine, and geraniums. This smells incredibly fresh, and with no expectations, I'm excited at the possibility of finding an unknown gem.

The taste that follows is spot on - the citrus melds well with a hint of caramel malt, and the bitterness seems perfect to me. It's crisp and snappy, but not overwhelming, and very drinkable.

Overall, a great west coast IPA, and one of the finest organic IPA's I've ever had.

4.31/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A solid IPA. Just slightly not as good as a Stone IPA.

4.26/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy amber color, with a medium-to-large, sudsy light tan head. Certified organic. Fresh, sharp, spicy hops aroma, with toffee and caramelly malt tones in the background. The hops provide notes of hemp and pine. Full, thick, chewy body with low CO2. Smooth, pleasant flavor. Tons of toffee/caramel malt flavors, with, of course, a lot of fresh, spicy hops. Malt predominates up front, then the hops hikes up gradually, until you have a pronounced, spicy (but not sharply bitter) hoppy finish. Oily, resinous with hops, it seems, but again - not harsh. Like the nose, the flavors are hempy and piney in character. Very fresh despite its trip from the left coast to me in Connecticut. Subtler than, say, a Dogfish Head IPA (which I should note, I love), tho similar in some respects. Rather like Dale's IPA with the darker malt profile than Dogfish Head 60 Minute. I like this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +23%

Had on draft for happy hour at Carolina’s... served in a standard shaker pint.

A: Slightly hazed copper / orange; half-finger of cream head; nice lace sheet(s) and head retention; they don’t look much better than this! (mine doesn’t seem to be as dark as other reviewers’)

S: Big grapefruit aroma; some sweet caramel and bready malt notes, too; very fresh and bright in the hop department; a smidge dank.

T: Grapefruit and citrus rind bitter (I’d guess plenty o’ Cascade); some resin in there, too; a fair touch of malt sweetness for show.

M: Medium-bodied; moderate to high carbonation; cleanses the palate very well.

D/O: As with any big IPA, they get tough; really good, though - glad I tried it and found it on draft; had never heard of this brewery but was impressed with this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +22.1%

Arrived a hazy orange-apricot color with two fingers of rich off-white head.

Aroma of pineapple, white grape, and rich earth.

The taste was quite tangy with orchard fruits, caramel malts and a hint of floral spiciness.

Medium bodied and lightly sticky with a moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this IPA from Napa Smith.

4.17/5  rDev +21.2%

Comes out of the tap a slightly hazy golden with a thick, creamy, off-white, fine-bubbled head that sticks around. Strong, hoppy, evergreen aroma has a firm undertone of grapefruit. Flavor is quite hoppy and somewhat bitter, with evergreen hints and a citrus undertone that is mainly grapefruit. Tingly, lively texture makes for a very pleasing finish.

Organic IPA from Napa Smith Brewery