Organic IPA | Napa Smith Brewery

napasmithbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Added by DousedInStout on 03-09-2010

1.44/5  rDev -58.1%

I had this beer on tap a couple weeks ago. It's the worst tasting beer I've ever had. Have you ever bought a brand new inflatable raft, inflated it with your breath and then accidentally inhaled some of the air from the raft? Well, this beer tastes like the air from the inside of that inflatable raft. A new-plastic taste. This is the most honest way I can possibly describe my experience with this beer.

I find it hard to believe this beer went through a proper brewing procedure, but instead, I'm completely convinced it was manufactured by a toy company.
This drink tastes like a burning tire rolling away from a car explosion. Beware.

I understand how our taste buds differ among all appreciators of brews. But I passed this drink to the 4 or 5 people at my table and everybody gave this one a thumbs-down.
This is my first review of a beer on this awesome website. I promise I will follow this negative review with 10 positive reviews of delicious brew that I have had the honor of devouring! I'm not a hater. Cheers!

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Muddy, almost opaque light brown. Pours with a fleeting white head.

Smells strongly of acetaldehyde. There's slight earthy hoppiness beyond that, faint tropical fruit and a lot of toasted/caramel malt.

The palate is heavy on brown sugar, biscuit and granny smith apple. The hop profile is earthy with hints of tropical fruit. Ultimately it's a heavy, malty and earthy beer, far from quaffable. The malt profile is oddly dominant, and there's a ton of residual sugar here. The finish is moderately bitter, though it's balanced to an extreme by the caramel malt.

Even looking past the off flavors produced by fermentation, this is a poorly formulated IPA with a malt bill that verges on a brown ale, horrible attenuation for the style and a barely present hop aroma. I don't take much joy in trashing beers, but this is quite bad.

1.74/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Somewhat hazy copper body topped with a modest-sized head that retains pretty well. Some soapy lacing up top.

As this is a new offering from my local beer shop, I can only assume it's fresh (in absence of bottle dating). However, hop aromas are in short supply. Smells chiefly of caramel and brown sugar with an indeterminate woodsy undertone. Some citrusy notes float in and out.

In a blind test, I'd never had guessed IPA with this one. An awkward blend of earthy hops, a raw woody bite, buttery caramel and malt sweetness. A splash of vanilla and more than a splash of harsh booziness. Weird lingering flavor that's somewhat remiscent of the lemon/pepper stuff you'd find on the spice aisle. I'm confused, and would possibly be offended if I'd bought more than a single of this.

1.83/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours a cloudy, orange color with floaties, and a nice off white head...retains well. Smells of citrus and sweet malt. Tastes....weird. Lemon, slightly tart, pepper, biscuity, with a slightly bitter finish. Something about the flavor is extremely off-putting. Slightly dry in the mouth. I'm not a big fan of this IPA at all. My first drainpour in a while.

1.87/5  rDev -45.6%

Poor beer ! I was looking forward to having a good organic IPA, therefore, even without checking reviews I poured this one as soon as my friends brought me this from Indiana.Looks were a little deceiving, Orange-brownish color that made it look like a good DIPA, but when it gets to the nose all the points started flying out. Faintly floral , with even faintly citrus. Taste is bad, little or NO hoppiness,off-setting sweetness, out of all water-down taste of one of those Adjunct beers .Be it organic or not, it should not be this far from other IPAs. Sorry Napa Smith !

1.9/5  rDev -44.8%

I like big beers and I also I like IPAs. This was a tremendous (and pricey) disappointement. This stuff tastes like what I imagine gerbil food to taste like. The grassy aroma is not much better. If you have other options (including water), I recommend you consider them.

2.17/5  rDev -36.9%

Orange color, looks like it might be hoppy, excited. Hmmm. No hoppy aroma. Grain. Butter.

Taste, woodsy, buttery. No hops, bitterness should be paired with hops. Tastes like an old uk pale ale. Just kind of bland, notes of off taste and fusel alcohol. You need hops to make an ipa. Period. Sugar and malt don't do it. While the brewery likes to brag about finding balance and not smacking you in the face with hops, I find this to be a weak cop out for a far below average beer in style.

Call it an altbier already.

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Solid orange appearance looking like some good west coast ipas out there, 1/2" white head. Aroma lacked hops. In fact, it was a questionable development of buttery grain and bitterness to it.

Taste was more of the same, buttery malt lacking hops. Alcohol really pronounced. Look its fine if you want to stress balance in an ipa, but at least, shit man, make it decent and not questionable in terms of its amount of diacetyl rolling around.

2.19/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottle courtesy of JohnCoctosin. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear dark orange color with a moderate off-white head that is fairly fizzy but sticks around for awhile, leaving behind some spotty lacing. The nose is malt with some very faint citrus character; mostly bread, though. The flavor is all bread and no hops, with a bit of oxidation there as well. Body is medium and chewy without any bitterness. Not a fan.

2.19/5  rDev -36.3%

Never heard of this brewery. Suddenly it is all over Florida? Strange.

A - Brassy golden-amber hue, very rich looking, capped with a decent off-white head and depositing some lace. It is all downhill from here...

S - Smells like overripe citrus, rotting grass in the lawnmower bag, and a sourdough maltiness. Not very good.

T - Not very good. The nose plus a tad of redeeming mineral nuance. Still, not very good. The caramel-sourdough impression of the malt is bad, but the awkward clash of the poorly-melded hop bouquet with said maltiness takes the cake (and in this case, the cake may as well be a urinal cake.)

M - Somewhat oily, fairly big; it wouldn't be bad if the beer were any good.

D - Napa Smith, I may give you one more shot (against my better judgment), but I will not partake in this sub-mediocrity again.

2.24/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance - Very cloudy apple juice color. Off white head with decent size and retention. Left some pretty good lacing. Burnt orange and yellow highlights around the bottoms and sides.

Smell - Some organic, earthy, peat type of aromas. Some peach aromas. This beer may be past its prime. Getting some butter and some sour notes.

Taste - The taste provided a very earthy hop bitterness. Buttery and almost "cracker" like. A touch of alcohol flavoring. Sour tasting.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Almost chewy. Mostly smooth. Left a bit on the palate. Provided some decent warmth.

Drinkability - Not my favorite brew. It was drinkable, but I don't want another. Probably past its due date. I'm tired of getting bad beers with no dates on them.

2.28/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured out with a pinkish oranage color and a two finger white head. Smells very lemony and with some malt notes. Very lemony taste with a soured malt that is unpleasant. To much cascade hopss combined with a bad grain bill. Dude I love IPAs but this is bad. Mouthfeel is sour and astringent. I will not have another.

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

A- cloudy brown, looks sorta like a fresh unfiltered apple juice, pours tall head that falls fast

S- apricots, fig newtons

T- bitter but not hoppy and bright that i like in ipas. has a bit of a syrupy caramel flavor. as i sip it i really enjoy it but the after taste isn't my favorite.

M- light on the front end heavy in the butt

O- okay beer but it is kinda pricey and comes in a four pack. not the complexity i want in an ipa. too heavy on the malt and caramel for my taste

2.39/5  rDev -30.5%

This beer pours a cloudy orange-amber color. The head is one inch of rocky eggshell white foam that recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma has faint hints of citrus and pine needles, but they are very hard to detect. The taste is of sweet malt, with come citrus hop flavor, but no bitterness. This is the sweetest beer I've tasted that called itself an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with low carbonation, and an annoyingly cloying texture. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will not drink again. I'm not sure what style this beer would fit under, but it certainly is not an IPA.

2.45/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium reddish amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a tiny center patch of sheer surface foam. Sudsy, semi-resilient lacing.

S- Soapy aroma with a light hop presence and bready malt.

T- More of that soapy quality and then this really unpleasant bitterness starts to sink its teeth in and won't let go. More bready malt presence with minimal sweetness. All the flavors are so separated and clash with each other.

M- Very bitey and a bit oily with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- Crap. Just total crap. Whoever tasted this after it was brewed and said "Hey, this stuff is great! Let's put it in a bottle and try to sell it!" Doesn't know a good beer from a hole in the ground. Sorry to be so harsh, but this just is not good. So glad I got it for free so I can put the rest of it where it belongs: down the drain.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The color is a deep copper hue with a one finger head after the pour and a film of foam that lasts throughout all twelve ounces.

The aroma is a mix of lime and orange peels with unripened exotic fruit like guava, pineapple, and papaya. No malt aromas noted.

The taste starts with a tart exotic fruit, picked from the tree far too early. The alchol adds a spicey splash. to the middle and lingers as a sharp, faintly metallic feeling on the back of the tongue. The middel also has a little citric bitterness noted as well. I can't really pick out any flavors that would come from the malt.

This is a one sided, super tangy IPA that I will not buy again.

2.61/5  rDev -24.1%

I did not enjoy this beer at all. The taste at first is extremely sweet and fruity, like having a hard candy in your mouth. It makes the aftertaste thick and gummy. Overpowering to the bitter, hoppy taste that I need from an IPA. I was disappointed with this and would probably not drink it again. It tastes like someone put a Jolly Rancher in my beer.

Organic IPA from Napa Smith Brewery