Organic IPA | Napa Smith Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by DousedInStout on 03-09-2010

Reviews: 117 | Ratings: 258
1.44/5  rDev -58.1%

I had this beer on tap a couple weeks ago. It's the worst tasting beer I've ever had. Have you ever bought a brand new inflatable raft, inflated it with your breath and then accidentally inhaled some of the air from the raft? Well, this beer tastes like the air from the inside of that inflatable raft. A new-plastic taste. This is the most honest way I can possibly describe my experience with this beer.

I find it hard to believe this beer went through a proper brewing procedure, but instead, I'm completely convinced it was manufactured by a toy company.
This drink tastes like a burning tire rolling away from a car explosion. Beware.

I understand how our taste buds differ among all appreciators of brews. But I passed this drink to the 4 or 5 people at my table and everybody gave this one a thumbs-down.
This is my first review of a beer on this awesome website. I promise I will follow this negative review with 10 positive reviews of delicious brew that I have had the honor of devouring! I'm not a hater. Cheers!

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Muddy, almost opaque light brown. Pours with a fleeting white head.

Smells strongly of acetaldehyde. There's slight earthy hoppiness beyond that, faint tropical fruit and a lot of toasted/caramel malt.

The palate is heavy on brown sugar, biscuit and granny smith apple. The hop profile is earthy with hints of tropical fruit. Ultimately it's a heavy, malty and earthy beer, far from quaffable. The malt profile is oddly dominant, and there's a ton of residual sugar here. The finish is moderately bitter, though it's balanced to an extreme by the caramel malt.

Even looking past the off flavors produced by fermentation, this is a poorly formulated IPA with a malt bill that verges on a brown ale, horrible attenuation for the style and a barely present hop aroma. I don't take much joy in trashing beers, but this is quite bad.

1.74/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Somewhat hazy copper body topped with a modest-sized head that retains pretty well. Some soapy lacing up top.

As this is a new offering from my local beer shop, I can only assume it's fresh (in absence of bottle dating). However, hop aromas are in short supply. Smells chiefly of caramel and brown sugar with an indeterminate woodsy undertone. Some citrusy notes float in and out.

In a blind test, I'd never had guessed IPA with this one. An awkward blend of earthy hops, a raw woody bite, buttery caramel and malt sweetness. A splash of vanilla and more than a splash of harsh booziness. Weird lingering flavor that's somewhat remiscent of the lemon/pepper stuff you'd find on the spice aisle. I'm confused, and would possibly be offended if I'd bought more than a single of this.

1.83/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours a cloudy, orange color with floaties, and a nice off white head...retains well. Smells of citrus and sweet malt. Tastes....weird. Lemon, slightly tart, pepper, biscuity, with a slightly bitter finish. Something about the flavor is extremely off-putting. Slightly dry in the mouth. I'm not a big fan of this IPA at all. My first drainpour in a while.

1.87/5  rDev -45.6%

Poor beer ! I was looking forward to having a good organic IPA, therefore, even without checking reviews I poured this one as soon as my friends brought me this from Indiana.Looks were a little deceiving, Orange-brownish color that made it look like a good DIPA, but when it gets to the nose all the points started flying out. Faintly floral , with even faintly citrus. Taste is bad, little or NO hoppiness,off-setting sweetness, out of all water-down taste of one of those Adjunct beers .Be it organic or not, it should not be this far from other IPAs. Sorry Napa Smith !

1.9/5  rDev -44.8%

I like big beers and I also I like IPAs. This was a tremendous (and pricey) disappointement. This stuff tastes like what I imagine gerbil food to taste like. The grassy aroma is not much better. If you have other options (including water), I recommend you consider them.

2.17/5  rDev -36.9%

Orange color, looks like it might be hoppy, excited. Hmmm. No hoppy aroma. Grain. Butter.

Taste, woodsy, buttery. No hops, bitterness should be paired with hops. Tastes like an old uk pale ale. Just kind of bland, notes of off taste and fusel alcohol. You need hops to make an ipa. Period. Sugar and malt don't do it. While the brewery likes to brag about finding balance and not smacking you in the face with hops, I find this to be a weak cop out for a far below average beer in style.

Call it an altbier already.

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Solid orange appearance looking like some good west coast ipas out there, 1/2" white head. Aroma lacked hops. In fact, it was a questionable development of buttery grain and bitterness to it.

Taste was more of the same, buttery malt lacking hops. Alcohol really pronounced. Look its fine if you want to stress balance in an ipa, but at least, shit man, make it decent and not questionable in terms of its amount of diacetyl rolling around.

2.19/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottle courtesy of JohnCoctosin. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear dark orange color with a moderate off-white head that is fairly fizzy but sticks around for awhile, leaving behind some spotty lacing. The nose is malt with some very faint citrus character; mostly bread, though. The flavor is all bread and no hops, with a bit of oxidation there as well. Body is medium and chewy without any bitterness. Not a fan.

2.19/5  rDev -36.3%

Never heard of this brewery. Suddenly it is all over Florida? Strange.

A - Brassy golden-amber hue, very rich looking, capped with a decent off-white head and depositing some lace. It is all downhill from here...

S - Smells like overripe citrus, rotting grass in the lawnmower bag, and a sourdough maltiness. Not very good.

T - Not very good. The nose plus a tad of redeeming mineral nuance. Still, not very good. The caramel-sourdough impression of the malt is bad, but the awkward clash of the poorly-melded hop bouquet with said maltiness takes the cake (and in this case, the cake may as well be a urinal cake.)

M - Somewhat oily, fairly big; it wouldn't be bad if the beer were any good.

D - Napa Smith, I may give you one more shot (against my better judgment), but I will not partake in this sub-mediocrity again.

2.24/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance - Very cloudy apple juice color. Off white head with decent size and retention. Left some pretty good lacing. Burnt orange and yellow highlights around the bottoms and sides.

Smell - Some organic, earthy, peat type of aromas. Some peach aromas. This beer may be past its prime. Getting some butter and some sour notes.

Taste - The taste provided a very earthy hop bitterness. Buttery and almost "cracker" like. A touch of alcohol flavoring. Sour tasting.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Almost chewy. Mostly smooth. Left a bit on the palate. Provided some decent warmth.

Drinkability - Not my favorite brew. It was drinkable, but I don't want another. Probably past its due date. I'm tired of getting bad beers with no dates on them.

2.28/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured out with a pinkish oranage color and a two finger white head. Smells very lemony and with some malt notes. Very lemony taste with a soured malt that is unpleasant. To much cascade hopss combined with a bad grain bill. Dude I love IPAs but this is bad. Mouthfeel is sour and astringent. I will not have another.

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

A- cloudy brown, looks sorta like a fresh unfiltered apple juice, pours tall head that falls fast

S- apricots, fig newtons

T- bitter but not hoppy and bright that i like in ipas. has a bit of a syrupy caramel flavor. as i sip it i really enjoy it but the after taste isn't my favorite.

M- light on the front end heavy in the butt

O- okay beer but it is kinda pricey and comes in a four pack. not the complexity i want in an ipa. too heavy on the malt and caramel for my taste

2.39/5  rDev -30.5%

This beer pours a cloudy orange-amber color. The head is one inch of rocky eggshell white foam that recedes slowly into a firm cap of lacing. The aroma has faint hints of citrus and pine needles, but they are very hard to detect. The taste is of sweet malt, with come citrus hop flavor, but no bitterness. This is the sweetest beer I've tasted that called itself an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with low carbonation, and an annoyingly cloying texture. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will not drink again. I'm not sure what style this beer would fit under, but it certainly is not an IPA.

2.45/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium reddish amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a tiny center patch of sheer surface foam. Sudsy, semi-resilient lacing.

S- Soapy aroma with a light hop presence and bready malt.

T- More of that soapy quality and then this really unpleasant bitterness starts to sink its teeth in and won't let go. More bready malt presence with minimal sweetness. All the flavors are so separated and clash with each other.

M- Very bitey and a bit oily with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- Crap. Just total crap. Whoever tasted this after it was brewed and said "Hey, this stuff is great! Let's put it in a bottle and try to sell it!" Doesn't know a good beer from a hole in the ground. Sorry to be so harsh, but this just is not good. So glad I got it for free so I can put the rest of it where it belongs: down the drain.

2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The color is a deep copper hue with a one finger head after the pour and a film of foam that lasts throughout all twelve ounces.

The aroma is a mix of lime and orange peels with unripened exotic fruit like guava, pineapple, and papaya. No malt aromas noted.

The taste starts with a tart exotic fruit, picked from the tree far too early. The alchol adds a spicey splash. to the middle and lingers as a sharp, faintly metallic feeling on the back of the tongue. The middel also has a little citric bitterness noted as well. I can't really pick out any flavors that would come from the malt.

This is a one sided, super tangy IPA that I will not buy again.

2.61/5  rDev -24.1%

I did not enjoy this beer at all. The taste at first is extremely sweet and fruity, like having a hard candy in your mouth. It makes the aftertaste thick and gummy. Overpowering to the bitter, hoppy taste that I need from an IPA. I was disappointed with this and would probably not drink it again. It tastes like someone put a Jolly Rancher in my beer.

2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

cloudy hazy orangeish color with thick 2 and a half finger head. had a grapefruit taste and harshness in it. real hoppy and strong. taste was good in general but left a ranging and deep after taste. still interesting beer though. flavorful as any thing of this style that is out there.

2.76/5  rDev -19.8%

Disappointing - my second beer from this brewery. Selling it in 4 packs here in Chicago. I got from a store selling singles so cut my losses.

Pour is deep golden and a nice lace of head. Nose has a suspicious sour note (simlar to my experience with the Red Ale). Same sour bite. This is a big beer - alcohol present, but the backing of sourness/tart is just not right. Maybe if you did it with one style - but it is a theme. I thought it could be the yeast choice...no - there is an infection issue here.

An overpriced beer that lacks quality but wants to sell for big price based on using Napa in name. Sad. Bad.

2.97/5  rDev -13.7%

part of a 6 pack mix run

A - sort of a brown orange color, pretty thick and lasting off-white head, some loose sediment evident

S - super sweet malt mixed with pineapple citrus hops. easily the best part of this one

T - falls apart in the taste department. decent initial taste of hoppy goodness gives way to a massive overly sweet blast of stale tasting malt. after that is an unpleasant malt and alcohol taste, and a finish of pure pineapple stickiness. came close to drainpouring it part way though after the cloyingness almost became too much

M - thick and sticky, and with the rough taste, this means it stays around on your palate for a while

D - I've seen other people say they liked this, so this is possibly just not my thing at all. I suppose it's worth trying, but I don't think I'll be going for it again anytime soon

2.99/5  rDev -13.1%

Thick creamy white head. The color is a touch darker and denser than most IPAs. Carbonation is pretty minimal but at over 7% that's somewhat expected for this beer.

An almost vanilla note to open after the pour. I'm sure I'm missing it on this but I'm a bit surprised by that aroma mixed in with the expected hops. Grapefruit hops and caramel malt...wow I feel like a broken record describing IPA's and imperal IPAs. Think of more of an east coast malt IPA nose though.

Heavy bodied, and very fruity. The hops aren't really the showcase that they should be. I have no idea when this was bottle but I haven't seen Napa Smith on the shelves more than a few months so I am thinking this beer is worse case just past its prime but far from old. The beer packs a bit of lemon zest and has an apricot flavor as well. There's certainly some grapefruit hops in there as well. It's tasty but I can't even begin to list better examples.

Very drinkable. I'm not sure what it is about this beer but this glass is vanishing as fast as I can type.

A touch of a hop/alcohol bite in a really smooth and well enough carbonated beer. I'd say good it is.

Organic or what ever this is a tasty beer that at 9 bucks for a 4 pack is well worth the time. I should warn people that next to this was a 5 dollar 22 oz so stay the hell away from that over priced joke.

All and all not the "west coast" hop forward IPA I wanted but tasty enough and priced very reasonably.

This was one of three Napa Smith beers I had on a recent trip to San Francsico and I have to say that in general i was not very impressed with the brewery. Of the three, IPA, organic IPA and Lost Dog Red, this was my least favorite.

Color was a murky light brown, carbonation was there but almost lost in the haze.

Aroma was not very good, not nearly enough hops and some other off flavors in there.

The taste as well was a strange mix of malt, yeast and something else that I couldn't pinpoint but which didn't seem to belong.

Overall I was not thrilled with this beer and probably won't try it again.

22oz. bottle poured into tulip. Thanks again for the sharing, Chris!

(A)- Pours a hazy apricot color. Produced some white froth.

(S)- A figgy orange citrus with bits of pine and caramel.

(T)- Again, a figgy orange fruit citrus with bits of caramel and pine.

(M)- A good carbonation level and a decent balance. Almost barleywine-like with that fig and orange malt profile. Rather sweet for the style.

(D)- Not bad. Very sweet for an IPA. Not a whole lot of hops to speak of, though I have no idea the age of this bottle due to no bottled date.

3.01/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A. Deep hazy copper with average head and lacing.

S. Sweet malt, fruity, herbal, sour funkiness.

T. Sweet caramel malt, granny smith and citrus like hops, some dark herbal earthy bitterness. Finishes with a weird funky dirty sock, bad parmesan flavor. If it weren't for the weird finish this would be a good beer.

M. Good carb, medium to heavy body.

O. This beer is good up front but once it gets to the back of your taste buds the funky cheese ruins every thing.

3.02/5  rDev -12.2%

12 ounce bottle - $2.79 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: A gusher upon carefully opening, we're left with a clouded, darkened amber body with, despite the initial active, mess-making carbonation, only a very thin, whitish head.

Smell: Earthy, woodsy nose with some notes of oven-toasted biscuit tops, dried grasses for fodder, pithy citrus peels, and vague, ill-defined spices.

Taste: NAPAIPA tastes heavily of lightly toasted biscuits in the fore, with a brushing of lightly sweet, cooked sugars lending a slight caramel presence. Once it enters the scene, there's a staunch grassiness throughout backed by a woodsy resinous quality. Pithy white grapefruit. Moderately bitter. Dry, earthy, woodsy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Took some work to get down. Maybe it's the beer, maybe it's the mess I'm sopping up, or maybe it's just me, but I wasn't too taken by this one.

Organic IPA from Napa Smith Brewery