Trung Latte Milk Stout | Al's of Hampden / Pizza Boy Brewing

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by orangesol on 10-29-2014

Reviews by smokeypeat:

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Valley Road Enterprises / Pizza Boy Brewing Co. "Trung Latte"
Sampled from what seems like a 16 fl. oz. can but which is not labeled as such. "TASTE # BEANS 11/8/17 18:06"
$3 at the brewery

Notes via stream of consciousness: The sticker on the can reads "3% ALC. BY VOL." It pours an opaque black body beneath a two-finger thick head of dark tan. The aroma is distinctly coffee-like with a nuttiness, some underlying chocolate, and a soft roastiness. It smells like fresh, oily coffee beans. Very nice! In fact I think it's one of the best coffee aromas I've ever found in a beer. The flavor follows but it's not quite as authentically coffee-like, and there's an additional note that I'm not exactly sure of, something earthy, or even lightly vegetal. I know it has to be coming from the coffee beans but I'm not used to it. I was expecting some chocolate and there's a light touch, mainly appearing in the finish, giving it a kind of mocha coffee feel. The nuttiness that I found in the aroma doesn't quite come through as fully either. The roastiness remains the same: softly roasty. It's not very bitter, nor is there any acidic bite, but it's perfectly balanced. For coffee lovers this has got to be a great treat. For stout lovers it seems a little light though. It's light-medium in body and just lightly crisp. As a low alcohol beer though it's hard to complain about. Given that, yeah, there's a lot of flavor there.

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

Latest version is only 2.7% abv. big coffee aroma and taste. Super drinkable, if you enjoy coffee like I do. Almost more coffee than beer. A breakfast beer for sure

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Too thin and not as much coffee as I'd prefer

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good, but not at the level of Vietnamese Coffee Sunny Side Up. Could use a bit more coffee presence and a thicker milk stout presence. Recommended, but maybe my hopes were too high after having my socks knocked off by Vietnamese SSU.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Interesting low ABV stout.

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This was a recent gft from a fellow member of the FGBS Drinking Team in support & furtherance of The CANQuest (tm). I find that it behooves me to drink & review these gifts quickly so that people don't think that I am trading them away or some other reason to stop getting beer for me.

From the CAN: "Handcrafted in Enola, PA"; "Pizza. Beer. Happy."; "Milk Stout with Vietnamese Coffee"; "Proudly brewed in Pennsylvania".

The Crack! of a CAN is music to my ears & when I get a spritz across my fingers, as in this case, it usually means a brimful craft CAN, which it was. This, coupled with it being a pint CAN, meant that I would be employing a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. Following the Glug, an in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with cola highlights at its edges. Nose smelled strongly of coffee, but with a cream & sugar aspect, two things that I eschew in my cup. I remember Gerry Wargo asking me if I was having coffee or a hot milkshake & soon after that, I weaned myself off of cream & sugar. Onward! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, especially for the style. The taste was not as pronounced as I remember it as being on-tap/draft & I have had it that way twice, although without reviewing it. There was a coffee flavor, sure, but it seemed toned down and/or dialed back, either by/because of the lactose sugar or by dint of not using enough coffee in the beer's production. The person who gifted me this CAN said the same thing so it may have simply been this batch of CANs or perhaps it just does better on-tap. I just kept thinking that it did not really remind me so much of Vietnamese coffee as just regular coffee with cream & sugar and even then, it was kind of lagging behind. Finish was semi-dry, but tending towards sweet. Since we are asked to rate to style & not to taste, my scores will be higher than what I really thought of this beer. Just sayin'.

Trung Latte Milk Stout from Al's of Hampden / Pizza Boy Brewing