Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pro Am Big Chocolate Wood | Naked City Taphouse

3.45/5
Okay

Naked City Taphouse
Washington, United States
nakedcitybrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by barleywinefiend on 09-13-2010

3.49/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at Naked City.

Pours deep black like oil with little to no head. Smells exactly as it is named (big chocolate, light wood).

This beer is chocolate heaven. Rich chocolate and cocoa are evident right away and persist through the sip. An excellent carbonation helps the flavors truly explode in your mouth before giving way to a deep bitter cocoa flavor and light wood finish. I didn't notice much in the way of a hop profile or malt character. In fact it seemed like neither were present though I'm sure some chocolate malt were present to keep this one together. A fluctuating sweetness is present throughout the brew. Definitely not like a stout or porter by any stretch and though I think it came in around 7-8% abv, I still think this is more of an adjunct beer than a strong ale.

Personally I enjoyed it. It's simple and lacks the real complexity to put it as something worth seeking out however it was flavorful, easy drinking. I'd almost call it a light version of a chocolate stout without the complexity. Some will find it too simple and sweet to be worth their time.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured a jet bkack with ok carbonation and a tannish head to cap it off

S: Some chocolate, roasted notes, Earth

T: Alright, Earth, chocolate, light wood and roasted malt. Nothing fancy.

M: Sordove flat I thought, lacking on mouthfeel, some Earth and cocoa