Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Warm Fuzzy | Buckeye Brewing Company

Buckeye Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
buckeyebrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Florida9 on 07-15-2013

Reviews by Florida9:
3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

According to the beer label, this is a "Tropical Stout-Style Ale." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but the label shows an anthropomorphic orange enjoying the sunshine in a hammock, so maybe this one has orange in it.

A: Pours a fully opaque black in color. Forms a rather sizable, dark tan or light brown colored head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S: Aroma is primarily of sweet oranges and orange blossom. There are some roasted malts and a bit of chocolate in the mix, but the oranges dominate.

T: The first thing I notice with the taste is that this beer is fairly sweet. Again, I'm getting a lot of orange out of this beer. Orange in the way of orange juice, not orange in respect of hop-derived orange. There is a bit of roasted malt, but not much more than an accent.

M: Body is on the heavier side of medium. Low bitterness, though there does seem to be a mild, pithy, astringency. Oddly, this beer also seems to have an appreciable acidity to it, though the acidity is clearly more like citric acid than acetic acid, again leading me to believe this beer may have been brewed with orange juice.

O: First of all, I can't believe I am the first one to rate this beer. I don't even live in Ohio and I found this one on the shelf of a grocery store I just happened to be passing. Secondly, since I've only had two other beers from Buckeye and they both left a lot to be desired, I didn't have the highest expectations for this one. But in the end, this beer really isn't all that bad. Amazingly, I'm going to compare this beer to HF's Daybreak, if for no other reason than that is the only other citrus stout I've encountered. And while the two are quite different, I do feel this one could probably hold it's own. However, with that said, my last point is that this beer could pass for a Black IPA if were listed that way. The label says "stout-style" so stout is what it is, but I do feel beer is straddling the stylistic lines.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

22 ounce bottle into snifter; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of pear, apple, orange rind, milk chocolate, cocoa, light roast, toast, caramel, and yeast earthiness. Nice and interesting aromas with good balance of roasted malt and fruity yeast notes; with good strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, pear, apple, toast, roasted malt, caramel, and toasted earthiness. Slight roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, light fruits, toast, caramel, roasted malt, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance of roasted malt flavors with moderate fruitiness; with good complexity, robustness, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very good and unique Foreign stout style. Good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt flavors with moderate fruitiness; and very smooth to sip on. A nicely enjoyable offering.

Warm Fuzzy from Buckeye Brewing Company