Baby Tree | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Baby TreeBaby Tree

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Availability: Spring

Baby Tree was our first Easter beer. We LOVE Easter here at Pretty Things. Usually after the long Boston winter, we’re itching to bring out the bunnies, bonnets and yellow fluffy chicks and get on with our Springtime.

The Baby Tree is a real tree. This must be said. It dwells in Sexhow and carries cavorting baby-dolls and in season, a few pears appear. It belongs to great friends of Dann & Martha, and they chose to rescue these small plastic people from a landfill-fate by allowing them to ride in their pear-tree many years ago. And thank heavens they did.

Our Baby Tree is a very magical, traveling tree filled with waving, happy babies, some of whom may or may not resemble Mikheil Gorbachev. There may also be some discrepancy in the number of limbs, but we cannot be sure where other baby heads may be poking through the leaves so we don’t worry ourselves about it. If you want, read our poem about it.

Baby Tree beer is a Pretty Things take on the best of Abbey-style brewing from Belgium. Inspired by monastic and abbey quadruples, embellished with dark fruit flavours, not too sweet, not too heavy, it’s a springtime beer with some of the richness of late winter. It makes it perfect year round, so that’s when we offer it! You should be able to find it most months of the year, on draft or in bottle.

All in all, it’s our way of bringing a bit of Springtime to you and to us, all year round. Hooray!

11%

View: Beers
Reviews by electtodefer:
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Pours a very reddish dark brown with a light foam head that dissolves very quickly and leaves a thin lacing on the glass. Resolves to a very thin foam. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Aroma - Citrus smell, yeast, you can smell the plums very vividly. Hint of of what almost smells like dark chocolate.

Taste - Very fruity taste with a strong alcohol undertone. You can tell it's a quad after the initial taste washes away. Plum taste is very strong. A little bready as well.

Mouth - It tastes like a Quad when it goes down. There's that strong bitterness that comes in after the taste goes away, it lets you know the beer has a kick. It sits in your mouth for a while almost like medicine.

Drinkability - It's a very tasty beer. There's no doubt about that, and it's really easy to drink and entire bottle of this with no problem. After the first glass you really feel the 9%.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at his "end of the world" tasting.

Bottled 6/2011.

Pours a hazy brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, dark fruits, and brown sugar. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I think this one smells better than it tastes.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear medium brown with almost no head. Thinnest of light tan collars. Aroma is of toffee, medium malt sweetness and a healthy indistinct nutty-fruit. Taste is deep fruit, medium malt and woody-nuttiness. Kinda thin body, with medium to low carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Good to see something new from Pretty Things. Loved the Jack d'Or, liked the St. Botolph and am hoping that the big bad quad can bring it too. Bomber into Ommegang chalice...

Pours a turbid root beer/sewage brown. Head is primariy ginger color...about 1/2 finger that doesn't really make an evening of it. There's a little carbonation sticking around.

For a quad the scent is a little faint - a little bit of smokiness to the dried fruits...dates, plums...the usual suspects. Trying to put the finger on it. Good but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Taste is similar. I remember when I was a kid my parents made this soup in a big tureen. They had company over and I'm eating this soup and all of a sudden I open my big fucking mouth and say "this tastes like cigarette butts." And their company says, "Y'know, Larry, you're right." Under normal circumstances I would've been mortified but shit, I was 11 and didn't know better. Fool on my parents, God love 'em, for not using the friggin' tureen in about 15 years. The soup tasted like butts. Y'know what? So does this. I take it back - it SMELLS like cigarette butts. No, there's a faint taste of it too. That along with the traditional huge malt (Special B?), yeast electricity and that leathery dried plum and prune deal. Slight booziness abounds too. Methinks some time would chill this deal out nicely. There's way too much tannin from something or other in here. It's really muddying up the breed 'cause this could be pretty damn good. And it ain't bad as is, either. (Edit: Y'know, this needed a little time. I never finished the bomber last night and there was about 1/3 left. Just curious, I poured the remainder into the glass to give it another shot. The butts scent had burned off and it tasted like more of a boozy quad with dried dates and figs...more of what we're looking for. Mental note: Definitely let this one breathe. Adjusted ratings for nose and taste to a 4.)

As flat and smoky as it is, this one feels good on the journey. Just enough spritely carbonation to tighten up the raw leather and smokiness on this pretty young thing. Finish is still a cross between earthiness and volcanic ash, but there's no surprises. The collar matches the cuff.

I like this but I want to like it more. Maybe 'cause I'm an unabashed homer that wants to see a plan come together like the Pretty Things Project. I don't want to only drink this out of local loyalty. I'm straddling the fence. It's good, and I'd have no shame sharing it with anyone. Could it be better? Of course. Ditch the butts deal and this is an excellent local with a Belgian take. As is, it's merely quite good. I'll definitely look for it again.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

I first tried baby tree at Meade hall in Boston and I lost my mind with how much I enjoyed it in draft. I made a mental note to grab some of these when I next say them in cuse

A- a dark brew that meshes between black and brown with fluffy white foam that lingers and stays on the edges of my surly tulip. Slow carbonation races to the top of the glass while the ruby hue edges gleam

S- massive dark raisins, fig, plum scents, molasses, and brown sugar. And not to mention a bready yeast scent that completey ties together this darkened fruit scent. Good scent profile for a quad

T- delicious raisin flavor that is both sweet and dry as the sweet sugars and syrupy molasses coates with flavor. Not too heavy and not too light. Just enjoyable with all the flavor

M- the flavor lambastes your mouth leaving layers of fig and raisin. Good flavor all over

O- baby tree is an amazing American Belgian quad of flavor that is so dangerously drinkable. The flavor is so complex and enjoyable that I can't say enough about it. Pretty things is an amazing brewery that has yet to put out a sub par brew

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a ruby/brown with a medium frothy light tan head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

Aromas of light caramel and biscuity malt sweetness and some notes of prunes, apples and pears. Alcohol notes as well as it warms.

The tastes are all dark fruit up front with prunes being the most notable. Caramel/molasses sweetness is present but not overwhelming in fact it accents the fruit flavours very nicely. Mild earthy hop notes and a touch of alcohol warming in the drying finish.

The mouthfeel is medium-heavy but not too thick or cloying, which is a huge factor when I judge a beer.

Overall this is quite nice and a solid American Quad offering, less carbonated that the traditional Belgian examples which is good or bad depedning on your preferences. Nice flavors meld well together and make for a very pleasant brew.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Review from notes. Had on tap at the Gallows in Boston.

A: Served in a wine glass, the beer is deep burgundy/brown with a very small off-white head. The head was rather thick with nice retention, but minimal lacing.

S: Rather closed at first, not a lot coming out. As it warms there is some brown sugar and caramel, some dark fruit, and a bit of Belgian yeast.

T: More of what I expected on the flavor profile. Sweet malts up front with some caramel, brown sugar, and a heavy dose of bread. Followed up with some Belgian yeast and dark fruit with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly sticky feel to it.

O: Pretty good quad, definitely a sipper. Another solid beer from Pretty Things.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

I like Quads and this was a good one. I poured the bottle into a Chalice. It produced a nice tan colored head that laced out well on top of a darker brown bodied brew. The aromas' of dark fruit and spice filled my head. The flavor profile was fruity as well but with enough bitters to keep it from being coy. The alcohol was well hidden but evident after finishing the bottle. I call it a medium bodied brew

The beer was easy to drink for a Quad but a 22 oz's was enough for me in a sitting. An enjoyable brew I will be drinking more of.

Split a 22oz bottle poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a deep redish brown with a finger of slightly tan head... Dissapates nicley... Leavs some nice lacing.

S: alot of dark fruit in the nose here... Along with alcohol, sweet fig and raisin, touch of brown sugar. As the beer warms a nice dry cocoa powder aroma starts to come out, along with a touch of sweet toffee.

T: very similar to the nose I get alotnofndark fruit with a touch of alcohol. Reminds me a little of red wine, notes of raisin and plum, a touch of dry chocolate... Nice balanve and complexity.

M: although the body deffiantly has a touch of sweetness to It I find it to be very dry and almost tannic in the finish. Heavy medium body with creamy carbonation...

O: very tasty brew, darkfruit sprinkled with dry coca powder... Had a bit of alcohol bite to it, another good brew from pretty things.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

Another one that escape my reviews, and this was one of my fav beers back in the day. I still have a few bottles from batch 1 and batch 4 which were both great.

Decent fizzy smaller head though, light lacing, hazy apple juice brown color.

Nose super nutty to start, almost peanuts, then sweet candy, light fig and date, touch plum, plenty of esters and light phenols, light jammy, but of dark brown malts with toasty sweet malts.

Taste light sweetness, jammy fruit, little plum fig, light caramel and toffee like sweetness. Then brown sugar, into a light bitter slight grassy hop, then booze, light warming booze, faint esters and hint medicinal phenols, hint creamy thick malt, chewy like, faint hint dark malt but mostly sweet toasty brown malts, and hint of nutty flavor. Finish is still fairly sweet syrupy, little sticky, mild bitterness, more candied dark dried fruits and plum lingering.

Mouth is nice full bod, fluffy little creamy, decent carb.

Overall quite nice. This isn't the best batch I've ever had, and I wish I recorded the batch #, but oh well. I have another few bottles waiting review in my cellar, so when I crack those I'll note the batch and re-review if I feel I should.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a deep brown with just a wisp of head.

Smells of heavy caramel, earthy hops and some dark fruit.

Taste is similar to the nose. Starts off with some dark fruit leading into the HUGE caramel presence. Earthy hops and some cinnamon round out the profile. This drinks incredibly smooth for 9%.

A little bit cloying and carbonation levels are medium-low. Glad I split this bomber as I don't know if I could finish one myself.

Fairly good flavor profile, just wish they had dialed the sweetness back a bit. 11 oz of it was a solid beer, but that was around the absolute max I could take of this before it became too cloying. A good one to cellar and drink with friends.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%