Baby Tree | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Availability: Spring

Baby Tree was our first Easter beer. We LOVE Easter here at Pretty Things. Usually after the long Boston winter, we’re itching to bring out the bunnies, bonnets and yellow fluffy chicks and get on with our Springtime.

The Baby Tree is a real tree. This must be said. It dwells in Sexhow and carries cavorting baby-dolls and in season, a few pears appear. It belongs to great friends of Dann & Martha, and they chose to rescue these small plastic people from a landfill-fate by allowing them to ride in their pear-tree many years ago. And thank heavens they did.

Our Baby Tree is a very magical, traveling tree filled with waving, happy babies, some of whom may or may not resemble Mikheil Gorbachev. There may also be some discrepancy in the number of limbs, but we cannot be sure where other baby heads may be poking through the leaves so we don’t worry ourselves about it. If you want, read our poem about it.

Baby Tree beer is a Pretty Things take on the best of Abbey-style brewing from Belgium. Inspired by monastic and abbey quadruples, embellished with dark fruit flavours, not too sweet, not too heavy, it’s a springtime beer with some of the richness of late winter. It makes it perfect year round, so that’s when we offer it! You should be able to find it most months of the year, on draft or in bottle.

All in all, it’s our way of bringing a bit of Springtime to you and to us, all year round. Hooray!

Added by twelvsies on 04-21-2009

1.45/5  rDev -62.4%

From 22oz bomber to snifter on 8/18/11
*From notes

A: Unpleasant turd brown. It looks dirty. A standard pour yields a 1.5 finger head that fade fast. Almost no lacing rims the glass.

S: How is it possible that a Quad smells like a Kolsch? Simple earth. Bland and uninspired.

T: Warm caramel up front, though that's where the pleasantries end. Have you ever been unlucky enough to catch the smell of a paper plant, downwind? Well folks, that's what this (so-called) beer tastes like. Fart inoculated prune juice, literally dipped into a monster truck rally Porta-Potty. It's toxic, and abusive to my palate, my stomach and the drain.

M: What feel? Close your eyes and you'll swear you're drinking an adjunct lager or blasé session beer. Really, I'm not kidding. Thin, overcarbed and oily.

O: Pretty Things Baby Tree is a massive, epic failure beyond compare. It's a terrible, vomit inducing beer. It's also an insult to the Quad classification. If asked, "What's the worst beer you've ever had?" Baby Tree will certainly be on my short list. I sincerely hope there was something wrong with this particular bottle, but I'll never return to this redheaded stepchild to find out.

I'd rather huff jenkum then drink this again.

2.14/5  rDev -44.6%

Pours a dark mahogany/plum color with dark ruby hues when held to a light source and a one finger yellowish beige head that slowly fades into a thin cap and lasting ring.

Very earthy(soil like aroma) that is slightly tart with lots of estery, sweet dark fruit notes and subtle earthy hops. When I say earthy I mean that this literally smells like earth/dirt. There's also a lot of sweet alcohol and plenty of dark fruit. Lots of plum, raisin, tart dark cherry and berries.

Earthy medium body that is very sweet with a soft tart presence. Again, there is a very earthy, dirt like flavor up front that lingers throughout. Lots of estery sweet dark fruit notes especially plum, prune, raisin, tart dark cherries and other dark berries. Slightly cloying but there is a decent amount of tart character to balance this. Slight alochol sweetness but no warmth in the finish. Slightly metallic and syrupy with subtle hops. There's just a bit too much going on here for my liking and I find it way too sweet.

2.24/5  rDev -42%

Pours a murky red colour that thins out to the bottom. Head is fine and off-white, thin film with a steady bead. Lace is sticky but not too thick. Looks good.

Smells a bit meh. Slight spice and a fair amount of yeast and sweet grain. Slight bland sourness like a soft drink and some corn and vanilla on the back. Bland, bit sweet and simple.

Taste is... actually worse. Grainy, with a bland and watery adjuncty edge. Corn and rice mainly that descends into a chemical and metallic mid-palate, bland as well with a dour dryness that really has no character. Just tastes like fermentation with nothing behind it. Dry, bland, mostly unpleasant but not quite impressive enough for me to form much of an opinion.

Thin, mostly invisible body. No texture, really. Bland and insipid.

I was served this blind and had no idea it was meant to be a quad. Now I recognise quad as probably the hardest style to brew well, but I think there's been a big failure here even to create a faux-quad character. It feels like there's substitute ingredients, no interesting flavours and an overall distasteful sensation. Disappointing.

2.36/5  rDev -38.9%

Pretty Things are homeboys. I love them. This beer disappointed.

A. Color is a medium to dark brown. Minimal head.

S. Aromas are weak, No fruit. Some yeast. Some caramel malt and smells of brown sugar. Not the best quad smell.

T. Taste is way too hoppy. I love hoppy; just not in this style. No real fruit; some sweetness. No complexity. OK.

M. Medium bodied. .

D. I love quads. This is no quad. So disappointed.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%

Mahogany colored, not quite opaque, with some ruddy orange at the edges. An off-white head rises up to a half-inch of foam that settles out way too quickly.

Low aroma of sweet malt and yeast funk.

Flavor fairly matches the aroma, full of rich malt, some dark fruits, and an overpowering yeasty and phenolic flavor that detracts from the whole experience. Somewhat one-dimensional.

Watery mouthfeel, a bit slick. Overall could be darker, richer and maltier for me, with reduced phenols.

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to angrybabboon for half the bottle.

Appearance: Deep reddish/brown. Head is off-white, slightly rocky, and thin. Leaves faint cap on the top of the beer. Pours on the thin side. Carbonation looks high.

Smell: Plums and Belgian yeast. Spice and dark fruit. It smells on point. Booze, caramel malts, faintly bready. Loads of spice, clove and pepper. Lacks some depth. Big aroma up front, but not a lot on the long take. Sweet, almost like fruit juice.

Taste: Big surprise here, plums and Belgian yeast. Sweet caramel malts and candi sugar. Fruit is raisins and just a touch of dark fruit juice (plums!). Warms to a Belgian monstrosity. Tastes more akin to a dubbel than a quad. Flavors fail to meld in any cohesive way. Big yeast assault followed by malts. Also, booze.

Mouthfeel: Thin and slightly overcarbonated. A little harsh on the sip. Drinks like a fizzy dubbel.

Overall: One of the more lackluster offerings I've had from Pretty Things. The flavors never really hit it for me and the carbonation was killer. It's a nice try for the American take on the style, but there are better examples out there. I'm missing the desired complexity of the style.

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%

A Pours a very murky dark brown with a tint of red. Nice healthy head. Minimal lacing.

S I'm not really liking the smell. I'm not getting much. Some plum is coming through, caramel and slight bready malts.

T Much better than the nose. You get that sweet malt right away, some dark fig. Slight bitter aftertaste

M Medium body. good carbonation.

O This beer was a disappointment. I would not seek this out again. The nose was just not that great and the taste was forgettable.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

I didn't care for this one. A malty quad with no complexity.

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

Dec 2010 tag.
Pours one fingers worth of off white creamy head. Cola
colored clear body.

Smells of Carmel, earthy hops, some figs and plum. Touch of alcohol mixed with big fruity esters.

Taste is sweet dark fruits, cherries, plums and grapes. Mixed with Carmel and earthy hops. A sharp and lingering metallic taste just about ruins this one. It's a bit disappointing to be honest.

Mouthfeel is medium thin. Medium carbonation. The finish is a touch oily to go along with the metallic taste.

Overall this had some good qualities but the metallic finish hurts this one quite a bit.
$6 a Bomber

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

Bomber poured to Green Man snifter (thanks for the awesome glass Alex).

Pours a charred brown with vibrant read hues around the edges. When I put it up to the computer screen, it does let some light through, but not much. A nice slightly off white head forms, but fades quickly to a thick crown. Spotty lacing is left behind.

Smell is of raisins, cherries, figs, other dark fruits. Everything is kind of dull, and I look for a very bold aroma in my quads.

Taste is upfront with a cherries and figs. Its very hard to pick up much else. Once again, I expect more from a big beer like a quad.

Mouthfeel IMO was extremely light. Very watery and unlike most in the style.

I am very glad that Pretty Things' distribution is making it's way to California. I've liked a lot of the beers I've had by them, but this one was somewhat of a let down. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot sometime, but it just wasn't for me.

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

Batch 22 Feb '11

A: Brown Red Ruby and orange tinted. 1/4" head dissipates quickly with minimal lacing

S: Not very fragrant at all. Really have to get in there good to get anything. First thing I get is spices, touched with candied sugar. Allspice, clove... hard to get any of the plum in the nose.

T: Light body, taste, and barely any detectable alcohol. Some barely there, curious sweetness complemented by an also curious hint of barely. Again plum not detectable. It seems like the dryness of the malt body:carbonation dynamic masks a lot here. Not belgian like at all. Interplay of things is interesting but honestly nothing is prominent or very noteworthy.

M: Malt flows throughout in this light mouthfeel, leaving a slight dryness which seems to be at no cause of the moderately low carbonation.

O: Had high hopes, and was prety dissappointed. I will revisit, possibly after aging this batch, and trying others.

Baby Tree from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project