Babayaga

From:
Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
BabayagaBabayaga
Notes: Babayaga, our autumn seasonal beer, appears each year just as the winds begin to blow a little stronger and the nights bring Winter’s first frost. The beer is a 7% export-strength woodland stout. We found this beer in a cauldron in a tiny wooden cabin perched on chicken legs in the woods near the Volga River. The old lady inside, an ancient witch/wise-woman/baby-eater called Baba Yaga, let us try some. We liked it so much, she said we could brew it for all of you here back home, as long as we named it after her. And so we did! How could we not have: she’d have eaten us if we didn’t!

It took us a while to figure out the secrets to Baba Yaga’s recipe, but we think we’ve got it: We smoke some malt with rosemary, and we add a few other eerie embellishments that she’s making us keep hush-hush. We ferment with a mix of English and Belgian yeast strains. This beer should taste like Eastern European folklore, like woodland, streams, cold dark nights and woodsmoke. Enjoy it!

…And what’s over here? A poem about the eerie old woman and the beer she brought to us! Close your eyes, imagine yourself lost deep in the foggy thicket somewhere, and click the little linky below…
View: Beers
Reviews: 193 | Ratings: 455 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MattyIce21:
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into an Ale glass

A-A thin foamed head around the perimeter of the glass. Head dissipated quickly. Poured a dark opaque black.

S-Roasted malts. Dark fruits, raisins and prunes. Very mild smokiness in the back end, very mild! Smells extremely appealing!

T-Like the smell get roasted malts with the dark fruits. That smokiness comes in the back and is left as the after taste. Not a big smoked malt fan so that does not sit well with me! Everything else about the taste is great!

M-Pretty high in the carbonation level which I dont mind. Quite creamy with a medium high body!

O-A good beer that I would like more if they did remove that smoked malt from the grain bill! Other than the smokiness and the weak apperance the beer is quite enjoyable!

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pitch black with a modest yet sufficient head. Smells of charcoal, peat moss, and woodsy earth. As it warms and I swirl it in my glass, I notice notes of banana along side Belgian-like yeast. The taste is a nice change of pace for a stout as it's not just the usual chocolate and coffee notes. I get notes of smoky woods, a little licorice, slight fruit notes, and a little herbiness thats a nice surprise. Tihis all swims in a pool of roasty toasty notes. Mouthfeel is a little slick but still mainly creamy.

Overall I'm surprised more people don't love this stout. It's unique with great layers of flavor that range from woods, herbs, and fruit with an underlining roastiness that runs across everything.

22 oz bottle. Bottled October 2011.

Pours a charcoal black body, but does have some brown to it when held to the light. Big, brown head leaves a sticky foam as it settles.

Chocolate covered bananas, cold brewed coffee and charcoal, with some dark fruits.

Creamy chocolate, with some espresso bean bitterness. Chicory root, banana and plums. Soft smoke, with some minty freshness. Slightly dry on the finish, with some charcoal ash.

A pretty damn good stout. A little pricey, at least in my area, for a non BA stout, but this will not disappoint. Definitely worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.91/5  rDev -1%

This one was bottled in November 2009. Poured into a dogfish head signature glass. The beer pours black with hazy brown edges and a frothy tan head. The foamy head fades, leaving adequate lacing, but it never goes away.

The smell is roasted malts, very roasted-almost charred. Beyond the roasted malt is dark chocolate and hints of coffee and chocolate. There are also some dark fruits, mostly cherries, but the nose is pretty mild on this one.

The taste is more bold than the smell. The roasted malts, chocolate and coffee are all smooth and sharp. There is some sweet milk chocolate, lots of cherries (some of them almost tart) and some sweet alcohol characteristics. The over-roasted charred malts come back to balance the tart flavors nicely.

The beer is well carbonated, more than most stouts but it makes it interesting. The flavors are well balanced and the beer has a nice dry finish. The alcohol is well incorporated into the flavor, this is a good beer that I will certainly revisit.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Was psyched to finally find this the other night at my local as I have been itching to try it.

Pours a lighter black with a flowing 1-2 finger head. Smells of roasted malts, but the aroma isn't as big as you would think from the pour.

Has a malty taste, but again not as much as you would think. Also has a sweet aftertaste. Very smooth and it hides the booze well, very easy to drink.

Overall, probably not my favorite Pretty Things, but overall very good. Gotta love the artwork and these guys are doing great things.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

I poured this beer into a glass mug. The color was a very dark brown almost black with a tan color head that did not last very long.

The smell had a lot of different things going on that I could not pin point one thing more than the other. But the overall smell made me want to take a big long drink.

My first drink I tasted espresso and a hint of smoke.

The mouthfeel was good and was very drinkable.

Babayaga is a great drink and it is not your run of the mill stout. Would definitely recommend this beer to friends.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Bomber bottle, bottled in October, poured into a pint glass while slightly chilled. Pretty Things always makes really solid brews so I'm pretty excited to give this a try.

Appearance: Brown, almost black, in color with a large, three finger brown head. Very nice retention.

Aroma: Roasted, smokey malt upfront. I get a nice hint of rosemary and spicy rye. Coffee and chocolate note are also there. Really nice and unique.

Taste: Coffee and smoke note upfront. There are some spice notes, most notably rosemary hints. Really nice balance of sweet and bitter. A background hint of rye. Only a touch of alcohol but its hidden well for the most part. One of a kind and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Feels a bit thin for the style. Creamy with a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall, a pleasant and one of a kind stout. Really well done with nice balance throughout. I would get this again.

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled October 2011

A: Pours quite a bit thicker than I was expecting. Appears black in the glass, but dark brown on the pour. Forms a moderate sized, very creamy, dark tan colored head. Moderate lacing.

S: Aroma is heavily roasted malts, chocolate, and a touch of smoke.

T: Taste is similar, but is a bit more complex. Starts with a moderate sweetness mixed with milk chocolate flavors giving the impression of chocolate milk, but then it quickly turns smoky, almost burnt or acrid, but not overdone. Dark roasted malts and burnt coffee on the back end. Finish is a touch acidic (more like black coffee than acetic).

M: Full bodied. Very smooth. Voluptuous. Mild bitterness. Slightly acrid.

O: I've been sitting on this one for longer than I should have. Great balance of flavors. A very nice stout that I was expecting.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a very dark brown, appearing black. Nice fine brown head with decent retention and good lacing. Mild aroma of toasted and dark malt with an interesting faint estery fruit component. Unusual flavor dominated by dark malt, but complex, earthy with unidentifiable fruit flavors. Finish is a touch sour, reminiscent of rye (which is listed as an ingredient) mixed with spicy toasted malt and coffee. Unusual combination of flavors, but this one works for me. Medium bodied with a touch of creaminess. These guys push the envelope but seem to pull it off. I would get this again if it was available in my state.

Babayaga from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project