Babayaga | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Babayaga, our autumn seasonal beer, appears each year just as the winds begin to blow a little stronger and the nights bring Winter’s first frost. The beer is a 7% export-strength woodland stout. We found this beer in a cauldron in a tiny wooden cabin perched on chicken legs in the woods near the Volga River. The old lady inside, an ancient witch/wise-woman/baby-eater called Baba Yaga, let us try some. We liked it so much, she said we could brew it for all of you here back home, as long as we named it after her. And so we did! How could we not have: she’d have eaten us if we didn’t!

It took us a while to figure out the secrets to Baba Yaga’s recipe, but we think we’ve got it: We smoke some malt with rosemary, and we add a few other eerie embellishments that she’s making us keep hush-hush. We ferment with a mix of English and Belgian yeast strains. This beer should taste like Eastern European folklore, like woodland, streams, cold dark nights and woodsmoke. Enjoy it!

…And what’s over here? A poem about the eerie old woman and the beer she brought to us! Close your eyes, imagine yourself lost deep in the foggy thicket somewhere, and click the little linky below…

Added by m1ked on 11-10-2009

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles and I have taken to enlisting aid in doing so. The real logjam comes in the form of bombers. Do not misunderstand me, I am capable of drinking the contents of a bomber by myself, but I am hesitant to do so. Bomb(er)s away!

A little backstory on this one: The bottleneck sticker reads"Bottled October 2011" and it was presented to me on my 47th birthday (25 Feb 2012) by my doppelganger clonsin, Jim Barnes, who was repping for Pretty Things at the time. Justin Chlan and I were now joined by one of my former mentors, Tom "Beek" Biechler on the porch.

From the bottle: "Good Time Artisinal Beers"; "Sylvan Stout".

After popping the cap, I gave everyone a generous pour. This created a finger of dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was really rich - molasses, anise, light charcoal, vanilla. Mouthfeel was surprisingly only medium. The taste was semi-sweet with flavors including dried dark fruits, dark chocolate and a little bit of smokiness. The finish was dry and smoky and we decided to go in a different direction for our next beer.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%