Our Finest Regards | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: English Barleywine

From Pretty Things to you this winter season: “Our Finest Regards”. Four years into our project and we’re grateful and amazed that so many people love and support great beer these days. The fact that we’re still here is a credit to you all.

But for the question of primary importance: What is the beer? Well, it’s our Pretty Things barleywine. Inspired by malted barley, a tribute to the barleycorn. Yes, it’s simple, but that’s what barleywines are all about. Ever since brewing in England, Dann has dreamed of making a barley-focused beer using the malts of Yorkshire (and never hesitates to plug his favorite: Thomas Fawcett & Sons). The American version of a barleywine is normally a sad beer indeed, lots of hops and alcohol but the star of the show is left scratching his chin in the eaves of the theatre. This is not one of those beers. The English invented this style and they’re the only ones who know how to make one, save the rare American brewer.

Give barley a chance and this mysterious little grain can do grand things!
To get the density of sugars needed for this sort of beer, we employed “double mashing”. The brewhouse that we work on can only get to maybe 18 plato for a single running of wort: but we wanted 27 plato! So we combined two brews by running wort into the kettle and then using it to mash in the second batch. We don’t take credit for this idea. We’re certain it has been done many, many times before. But it wasn’t until Will Meyers (the great Cantabridgian Cervecero) brought this method to our attention that we realized we could brew a barleywine of proper gravity… (he never told us that he hadn’t actually performed this sort of brewing before!). Anyway, it works!!
Expect an aroma of juicy sultanas, wet wood, green apple, malted milk balls, marzipan and alcohol deliciousness. It’s got a medium body and is a little more spritsy than we’re sure the Brits would like. Serve over 50 degrees fahrenheit in a stemmed glass.

Very suitable to drink this year or next, or even the winter after that!

Added by jamie2dope on 12-03-2010

1.99/5  rDev -50.7%

A- a dark sugar color with deep amber hues. A nice head with decent retention for such a large beer.

S- very bland with a little malt notes

T- Very bland dark fruits and raisins

M- Carbonation levels are good for the style, on the low to medium end. Not as thick and syrupy as I was expecting. A little heat on the finish(props to dan and martha for keeping the heat at bay. The feel of this beer is very pleasant and should be applauded.

D- I dont know what will happen to this with age but this english barelywine was just lacking complexity. There was nothing to savor in this bland beer and I was shocked it came from Pretty Things. Debating a drain pour and hoping age will do this wonders.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

A subtle malty taste that was not as desirable as other barlywines

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.84/5  rDev -29.7%

Bomber of the winter '10/11 release into a snifter. The brew appears a hazed light brown to mahogany with lighter yellow around the edges and ruby through the body when held to the light. A creamy yellowish stained finger rests atop and slowly fades leaving a web of lace sticking.

The aroma is quite candy-like and sweet smelling like belgian candy sugar. A bit of accenting fruity alcohol aspect is also present with a faint citrus to herbal hop element. As it warms up, there is a very soft stale grain aspect that mingles with hints of cardboard-like oxidation.

The flavor is sweet like belgian candy sugar coupled with a strong solvent alcohol kick. The residual grain flavor is a bit dusty or stale tasting bringing out flavors of oxidation and herbal hops. Trying to dig deeper in character just reveals more booze.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is sticky sweet and very boozy. For a fairly big brew, it is sadly lacking in complexity and still very alcohol forward for being cellared for 2+ years. I would probably avoid purchasing this again.

2.99/5  rDev -26%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled November 2011.

Appearance - Deep brown body. A little reddish. Sizable khaki head. Retains a few swirls of lace and a thin collar.

Smell - Sweet caramel malt. Slightly phenolic. Fruity esters. Has a Belgian sweetness to it.

Taste - Very sweet. Bananas. Dark fruits. A little bit medicinal in the back. Slightly bitter, but not enough to overcome any sugars.

Mouthfeel - Heavy and sweet. Well carbonated.

Overall - This is too sweet for anything besides a small serving size. Even then, I'm not sure about it. The medicinal flavor doesn't really overwhelm, but it isn't pleasant.

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Winter 2010-11 label on cap. 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a ruby reddish color, maybe even close to brown. Minimal head with the pour and what is there doesn't stick around very long.

Nose has a huge malt presence and a decent amount of hops as well. Some caramel malt and some sweetness. Has an earthiness to it that I'm assuming is from some hops.

The taste is sweet malt with some brown sugar and toffee. There is a definite earthiness to it but I'm not really getting much in the way of hop flavor. Maybe some honey(?) or something. There is a sweetness I can't quite put my finger on. Some alcohol at the finish but not as much as one would expect in a 13.5% ABV brew.

Medium to full bodied with carbonation to match. It's possibly that the carbonation is just in the middle but just a tad higher for the style so it seems to be more than it is. However, the ample carbonation keeps it from being syrupy.

As much as this brew seemed to have going for it I must say that the drinkability was a bit below average. Decent enough flavors but I feel this one could use a bit of age to see how the flavors mellow and meld together.

3.11/5  rDev -23%

Thanks, Jason. Poured into wine glass.

A - Pours a copper color with a reddish hue, cream-colored head, thin ring, wisps.

S - Caramel, burnt sugars, malty sweetness, pretty big booze. The booze is pretty monstrous with this beer, and really takes away from the other stuff that's going on here. The sweetness is nice, but I think this needs some more time in the bottle.

T - Similar to the nose, big booze and some sweetness in there. All of the 13.5% is evident in this beer, and it shows no mercy on the palate. Carmel, burnt sugars, booze, and sweet malts. Finish is boozy sweetness with a big alcohol bite.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I can see this one smoothing out and becoming more enjoyable over time, but I think that's about 6-12 months away. Right now, there's too much booze and not enough complexity to enjoy it. I would love to have a bottle with some age, but fresh, I'd have to pass.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

(sampled at Dak’s memorial day tasting. Courtesy of beerbastard!!). Pours a hazy mahogany with a khaki head. Aroma has some caramel and grains. Taste is sweet with some bitterness. Medium bodied with a slick texture. Finish is slightly bitter. Pretty nice beer but not a tradition barleywine. Glad to have tried this one.

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%

I haven't had a single sip of beer this week (unusual for me) so I decided to reward myself tonight with something that packs a punch. Our Finest Regards pours out a beautiful rose color, with a creamy two inches of white heading. A big perfume of alcohol hits immediately as it warms, followed by some stone fruits. Similar taste as there is with the nose, but there is an undercurrent of brown sugar and molasses to be had that reminds me of some of my favorites from this style. Body is not as big as the ABV suggests, but with that being said, it is one to share with others. Although I like the fact that this is a Barleywine with lots of unsympathetic alcohol content and flavor, I would imagine this is going to be even better with two to three years of age on it. A true Winter Warmer we have here from Pretty Things. Cheers

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Huge thanks to GoOSU for his continued generosity...Thanks Steve!

A--Nice copper red hue, not too much head or carbonation, but good looking beer.

S--Faint and medicinal, some fruity notes by mainly a medicinal aroma that just seems a bit strong.

T--Mild hops with more of that medicinal flavor on the palate. Not getting a lot of the classic EB notes I would expect.

M--A bit thin, so-so.

D--This beer fell a little flat for me. Just seems to be missing something, a theme with what I have had from Pretty Things. Not a beer I would go out of my way to try. Bummer, this is a favorite style of mine and was super pumped for this offering.

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Our Finest Regards from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project