¡Magnifico! | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Do you ask, “Who is a ¡Magnifico!”? IT IS A PITY TO ASK SUCH A QUESTION! Dear friends Magnifico is one of our most favorite seasonal offerings -our friendliest beer ever. In 2011 we slip him into our line-up without fuss, all by ourselves on a private world-party tour of a small part of Boston. We swear nobody comes, but no admonishments!

This year, he says hello again my friends and this time he’s in bottle too. We love him because he’s only 3.4% alcohol by volume and perfectly full of lovely Citra, Horizon, Simcoe and Bravo hops. He also likes barley (because you must in order to make beer). He has Munich Malt, Crystal Malt and Maris Otter from Inglaterra.

Look at the label of ¡Magnifico!! It’s also magnifico! He’s just a little chico – malinki hop with a moustache gigante! He has big heart for such small creature. It’s the spirit of beer my friends and friendship and happiness. And loveliness. My friends, we hope you enjoy ¡Magnifico!(!) in the same spirit.

Oh, we nearly forget… if you drink ¡Magnifico!(!) in a bistro or cantina make sure you ask for proper glass! Jambo!

Added by OldIronLungs on 08-08-2011

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottled on: Aug 2013 (?)
A: bright hay with orange hints
S: like an average commercial lager or light ale; corny not hoppy (like the label says).
T: very steely and flat tasting. Tinny. Lifeless. Finishes clean and fast. Not offensive just absolutely forgettable. And certainly not "fun and happy".
M: light bodied. Bang on for a session beer.
O: This beer may have been stale but if I bought it at a reputable bottle shop so trusted their stocking. Major disappointment from one of my favourite breweries.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

I really like most Pretty Things offerings, this one's a bit of an anomaly. Pours an opaque yellow, aroma is really off putting. For lack of a better description, almost like burnt vomit, I really don't like the aroma of this beer.

Taste is decent with a twang of hoppiness and a dry finish. Glad I tried it but I won't be buying this one again. There was no way to tell if this was an older bottle or not since the dating system was not used (Bottled in <month> <year> nothing being selected)

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

S: Bitter, perfume-like hops, light grapefruit peel

L: Cloudy golden yellow, creamy white head dissipates. Decent lacing.

T: Bitter, dry maltiness up front. Medium high herbal/citrusy bitterness with some herbal hop flavor. Light malt character with a dry, slightly chalky finish.

M: Medium light bodied, medium carbonation.

Kind of an older bottle (June 2012). So maybe unfair to judge, but not a huge fan of this beer. Very bitter and dry.

3.12/5  rDev -17%

I have grown tired of looking at the massive bottle backlog here at Chez Woody and I have decided t do something about it! Namely, it's total and utter eradication. For me, the toughest part is/are the bombers, since while I could easily drink one by myself, I really do not want to. I am routinely opening the porch to visitors to enlist their aid in this endeavor and last night, Mike, a high school classmate sto pped by to help me put a dent in things. A little background on this one - it was a closeout at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop during a recent brewery tasting that they hosted and a fellow beerhead told me that it was aged and beyond its prime, but at the price point, it was a steal. I decided to take the chance and also to help out The Greek, who has always been very, very good to me.

From the label: "Bottled in: June 2012 Thank you for drinking our beers"; "Forget everything you know about low gravity beers! Okay, remember some of it, but check this out: it's a fun, HOPPY, fun, happy homage to the greatness of beer without all the 'I love you man' at the end ... AND it's Magnifico!"; "Pour with gusto down the center of a big glass, pausing to allow head to settle, then continue. Be patient for best enjoyment!"

I had it chilling on its side in the cooler, but when I pulled it out and held it upright, i noticed a LOT of floaties, so we quickfat put it into The Beerfirgerator for a period of time to allow for settling and flocculation. It worked! The initial pour was VERY gentle, though. This resulted in a simple skim of bone-white head. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 4 - 5). Nose had both an old newspaper mustiness and a lemon zestiness. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was bitter, almost astringent, much akin to what I had experienced in a Calypso single-hop beer. Finish was really dry, but the astringency was a bit much, even for me. Oh well, I got my money's worth and then some, so it all worked out.

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours thick, almost milky pale yellow with a white foamy head that does not last.

Grain husk and dusty yeast in the nose. Dry harsh aromas.

Bitter, harsh, watered-down flavors. Grain husk, earthy yeast, some spice. The malt needs some level of sugar, and there is none. Long and bitter in the end.

Lighter bodied, carbonated, a little watery.

Not something I'd wan t again. An experiment gone wrong. Nothing you want to session or even share. Not wholly undrinkable, and the structure is appropriate, so I cannot give them strikes for it. But I did not enjoy this. A rare miscue by this brewery.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Bright gold with a very large, very Belgian thick, fluffy head. Looks magnifico indeed.

Strong aroma of course grain and swampy hops. A little buttery. Tastes like it smells: course grain and a boat load of swampy ass hops. Very sharp and dry mouthfeel.

Dry, swampy and nasty. A love it or hate it beer I guess. I'm party to the latter.

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

On-tap at Salty Pig. Served in a pint glass.

A- Appears a slightly orange golden color with about a finger of white foamy head with good retention. About average to slightly above average carbonation. Leaves some lacing.

S- Grainy, floral notes, some lemon zest, hops, a little grassy.

T- Grainy, some lemon zest, light spices, hay, light hops, some floral characteristics, finishes very bitter.

M- Light, bitterness + carbonation adds a little bit of a tingly feeling to the feel, slightly above average carbonation.

O- I wasn't a huge fan of this beer. It was definitely a little bit overly bitter for me. For 3.4% abv it didn't have a ton of flavor, and the flavor present I didn't really care for. It was just too bitter and grainy and tasted more like a farmhouse. I probably wouldn't session this beer, but it might just be my preferences. There are plenty other BPAs I prefer. For now I'm going to stick with some of Pretty Things' other beers- I like a lot of their stuff.

3.32/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, brooklynbrews!

A slightly hazed darker apricot or peach skin in color. Very persistent, whipped-cream style, near-white head. Lots of sticky lacing left all the way down the glass. A gorgeous beer, no matter how you slice it. Truly something special to admire in the glass.

Not a very expressive aroma, even after a little bit of warming. Some toast and mild biscuit, with just a touch of a fruity hop character I would call apricot.

Surprising bitterness leads the way, along with mild straw, and a little bit of lingering apricot hop character finish. Cracker and pale malts throughout. Very drinkable. A bit of an earth or dirt character as well. Nice, but nothing standout about it.

Medium bodied with near-high carbonation.

A tasty little low ABV number, but unexciting almost across the board.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. One and a half fingers of pillowy white head. Retention is about average and just a wisp or two of lacing are left.

3.25 S: Dank hoppiness which is allowed to shine due to the lack of tons of malt. Floral, herbal, and earthy. Just a hint of spicy yeastiness. Not a lot going on, but it works.

3.5 T: Taste is like the nose, but better. Floral, herbal, earthy hops. Mild bitterness. Touch of spice. It's just a sessionable way to drink hops.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Maybe a hint too much carbonation, but good enough. Not really creamy, but smooth.

3.25 D: It's decent for what it is, though I definitely prefer more flavorful brews.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%