X Ale, 22nd February 1945 | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

So, these are our new historical beer releases: two beers from the same brewery, brewed under the same brand name, 107 years apart. X Ale, 22nd November 1838, and X Ale, 22nd February 1945. These beers were from Barclay Perkins brewery in London (now long closed). They were brewed & sold as the same beer over these 107 years, but the recipe and process changed dramatically. The beer changed from a golden, 7.4%, extremely hopped ale in 1838 into a 2.8% dark grainy beer in 1945. Probably a lot of factors came into play: wars, hop shortages, grain pricing, rationing, taxation, patriotism, the motorcar, the industrial revolution… I’m guessing these all played a role in the weakening and darkening of this beer. Interestingly, since 1945, Mild ale in Britain hasn’t changed so much: it’s still dark, and one of the weakest beers produced.

Added by UncleJimbo on 03-17-2012

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last

3.5/5  rDev -3%

A: Poured a cloudy cider brown with 2 fingers of frothy off-white/beige head.

S: Roasted toffee and nuts. Perhaps even a hint of butteryness as it warms.

T: Toasty caramel moves into a dry, lightly roasted nut flavor. Finish is a bit bitter with some earthy, rootlike notes.

M: Light, clean and crisp with a very dry finish. Not as watery as some higher ABV brews and light beers, which was a pleasant surprise.

O: I wasn't sure what to expect on picking this up. Much more flavorful than I'd thought it'd be, and definitely worth a try as this might be the only time you get the chance. Nice and refreshing after a day at work.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Pretty Things X Ale 2/22/1945

Bomber into nonic pint.

Muted copper color, reddish brown. One finger of white head that’s frothy and pillowy. Looks pretty nice. There is splotchy lacing left all down the glass as consumed.

Smells of roasty malts, grass, a bit of lemon sharpness. Similar to a brown ale.

The taste comes with a lot of earth and grain at first with not as much malt compared to the smell. Initially it seems to taste less refined than what I’m used to on most beers. This is not a bad thing by any means but it’s different and noticeable. Some herby flavors linger in the aftertaste. A slight bit of caramel too? It’s not sweet though. It’s hard to pick out hops in this one but I guess that’s to be expected to a degree given the description of the ingredients. I also get a couple hints of dark fruit that shows a subtle sweetness.

I had the first half of the bomber by itself. The second half I had with dinner (salad and homemade mac & cheese). The one distinct difference I found was some chocolate coming out in the taste in the beer that I didn’t get when drinking it solo. The malt was deeper and more pronounced. Not that it made any big leap but a few times the flavor flashed with what you’d expect to find in a normal porter.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery but it didn’t stick out to me as such. I’d say it was pleasant to drink.

This is an interesting beer. ABV is quite low and the flavors are much milder than what I usually drink but I liked it. It made for a nice change of pace from strong IPAs that I seem to have been stuck on lately. I’m happy Pretty Things made this and provided some history behind it. Sometimes it is worth trying things that aren’t the latest and greatest just for the knowledge and experience. Hopefully I can try the 1838 version soon.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into duvel tulip glass

a - dark amber bordering on a tan brown. head pours a off white tan head.

s - toasty bread, suggests roastiness, and brief flashes of caramel

t - an appearance by some toffee caramel flavor, the beer is mostly bitter with dry herbal notes. some toasty/roasty notes (amber or brown malt?). lingering bitterness.

m - thin, dried out tannic.

o - oh yes, a beer only a war could make taste good. great effort nevertheless, but it never had a chance against a world war.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a clear brown with no cloudiness.

Settles down to a steady half inch head that lasts to the finish.

The aroma is of a subtle bready maltiness. Very subtle.

I kept this one in the cellar (no refridgeration here, no Sir!) so that the experience would be as close to a true English session ale as possible.

The taste is bready, just like the aroma, and very understated. In a good way.

Carbonation is present. Check.

2.8% alcohol. The least alcoholic beer I've ever had. So this is a session ale! This ale could be drunk for hours on end! Bwaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

No bottle conditioning.

This ale would go well with a meal or over a long...er...session.

I like. The only other version of an English Mild I've had is Magic Hat's "+-" so I have little idea how to compare this ale with it's brethren.

This Mild is meant to be drunk alongside the 1838 version (see my review on that one). It's amazing how the same brewery can make the same named ale but how the actual product can change so much over time. That's what Dann Paquette and Ron Pattinson are trying to demonstrate and they succeed with flying colors.

I've been a fan on Pretty Thing's "Once Upon A Time" series since it's inception. The X-Ale 1838 vs. 1945 project is a great idea and the best yet in the series.

Dann and Ron, if you're reading this please see what you can do about reviving the "lost" German bier styles I keep on reading about: Broyhan, Mumme, Koyt & etc.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

I bought this beer as a companion to the 1838 recipe version. In comparison, there is no comparison! The 1838 recipe is so much bigger. Even considering this one on its own merits, I didn't find much exciting about this mild. I didn't get the creaminess I expected. It seemed a bit granular. Interesting experiment though.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last