Meadowlark IPA

From:
Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Meadowlark IPAMeadowlark IPA
Notes: Meadowlark IPA is a new juicy and floral hoppy, hoppy ale we brewed to celebrate the flavor and spirit of American craft brewing. This 7% alcohol beer has a sunny orange-yellow colour, 85 International Bittering Units, a smooth mouthfeel and layer upon layer of soft flowery hops. We wove earthy Citra and bitter Bravo hops from the Pacific Northwest with intensely fruity and aromatic Galaxy hops from Australia. The malts are pale malt & mild ale malt, pale crystal (1.3% of the grist), flaked barley with malty highlights from Munich malt and a bijoux of Roasted Barley. The resulting patchwork is as “American” tasting as short ribs and slaw, and provides an excellent accompaniment to that kind of food too! Very hoppy and bitter. Yum.

In the Spring of 2012 Martha became a US citizen and shortly after we embarked on a cross country trek by car, from our headquarters in Somerville, Massachusetts to San Diego with stops at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Kansas City, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Denver. There was a lot of barbecue and craft beer along the way and it was a sprint rather than a crawl, but the trip provided more than enough inspiration for our first ever American-style beer. From clambering over the red rocks of Utah to buying cowboy boots in a chicken-and-feed store in Arizona, we had an American adventure, ending up at the Craft Brewers’ Conference in San Diego. On the way, we also brewed our first ever collaboration beer with Boulevard Brewing Company in Kansas City, a Yorkshire Stingo.

We’re flattered that some people are surprised to hear that Pretty Things is making an American IPA. Martha and I spent almost three years in England, a vast beer paradise mind you, often craving hoppy American beers. These beers are very much part of the great fabric of the beer world just as bitter or bock or lambic, saison or stout. It would be a true omission if we left this one out. Also, I (Dann) spent two decades working in breweries here in the U.S. making and perfecting IPA’s. Perhaps you’ve never heard of any of these but I formulated and brewed hoppy beers like North East Brewing Company’s “Lobsterback IPA” (1996-2001), Concord IPA (2002-2004), Rapscallion Blessing (2002-2004), Haverhill’s “Leatherlips IPA” and “Supershow 69″(2005?). It’s part of my heritage as a first-generation craft brewer and I very much feel a need to express and enjoy this.

Also, this beer was a chance to reunite with an old friend and former Head Brewer of Boston’s Tremont Brewery: Jeff Biegert. Jeff and I would occasionally secretly brew together back in the mid-1990’s before brewer “collaborations” were a thing. Fifteen years or so later here we were again, and Martha and I brought in Jeff to help brainstorm the perfect American IPA. We really think Jeff’s work on creating the perfect water profile was the start of a great beer. So cheers for indulging us and we truly hope you enjoy this one – we sure worked hard on making it a great IPA for you!

View: Beers
Reviews: 135 | Ratings: 792 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MattyIce21:

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up at ABC the other day. I was surprised to see it here in Florida. It had a bottled on date of 9-2014. Not good but I got it anyway. Pours an ok looking head with good retention. Slightly cloudy honey color. The smell is noticed as soon as the cap is opened. Smells very floral with typical hop aroma. There is something about the nose that I just think is perfect. The taste is out of this world! How is this possible with an almost year old IPA? This beer is perfectly balanced with not to much bitterness and not too malty like you would have expected from a older beer. I think this has aged perfectly. I can only wonder what this tastes like fresh. If I ever get up to Massachusetts I will definitely be seeking this out, meanwhile I'm going back to ABC to get the rest of there inventory of this incredible flavorful beer. Update, apparently Pretty Things is now available in Florida, ya. Picked up another bomber. This one dated 6-2015. As expected its much more hop forward than the year old one a had the other day. This IPA is still just about perfect. Very creamy, sweet and hoppy all perfectly balanced into a world class IPA. 1-2016 update, picked up my final Meadowlark last week, sad to see that they are retiring the brewery. This bottle dates to 8-2015 so not that fresh but not like my first bottle. Like always this beer is amazing! Great head with thick Foamy bottle lacing. Smell is a little weak this time around but the taste is perfect as always. Not a hop bomb, not to malty, just right. I'm somewhat sad drinking this since it's the one I will ever have

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

picked this one up earlier today. bottled in july. enjoyed from my pretty things wine glass.

a - brew poured a semi transparent ruby orange with a finger's worth of foamy ipa head that left streaky yet chunky lacing on the glass.

s - really nice floral hops with a medley of tropical fruit. citra and galaxy, really...how can you go wrong? gooey mango candy with resiny pine. VERY fruity.

t - the pine is way more pronounced in the flavor than the fruitiness, but the fruitiness is still there. the hopping is heavy on the bitterness as opposed to the citric blast.

m - big bitter blast. medium bodied and full flavored.

o - overall pretty things is a bit hit or miss for me, but this one is a hit. i said it before, and i'll say it again...how can you really go wrong with citra and galaxy? this is a very good beer. i'm rather impressed with this. you hear good things about most pretty things beers, but there are only a few standouts in my mind. i'd add this to the list of standouts.

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

poured 22oz bottle into Teku.

A - It is hazy and darker orange with a 2 finger white head. Leaves a white collar around the glass and large areas of lacing.

S - The hop profile (Galaxy and Citra) is complex with notes of grassy, earthy, and citrus notes. Sweet malt of light caramel and honey compliment all the hops.

T - The bitter Galaxy hops stand out the most and also add an earthy taste. The Citra hops come in after and give a nice grapefruit and orange flavor. The malt is subtle with just enough caramel and honey to keep the hops from overwhelming the palate.

M - Light body and excellent carbonation. Lingering bitter grapefruit on my tongue. Very dry.

O - I always wondered what a Galaxy/Citra IPA would taste like...It tastes wonderful. Pretty Things delivers yet another outstanding beer.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled July 2012.

A: Two fingers of white head with fantastic retention. Great lacing. Hazy gold is barely translucent.

S: Straightforward hops. Nice bitterness and light citrus. Quintessential IPA.

TM/O: Meh, underwhelming. Balanced, lightly malty, lightly hopped. Hops are vegetal, but not spicy. Robust and thick, it's easy drinking and very enjoyable. Recommended, I guess, but generally not impressive. Would have another, but not for $7.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance- A light golden color. Poured with an easy head and evident carbonation. Head subsided to a nice persistent foam ring after a few minutes.

Smell- It's too hot so I've got a fan blasting on me, so smell is a little hampered. Pineapple and citrus fruits are definitely there. Slight bready malt.

Taste- Light citrus fruits up front, followed by a definite fresh hop bite in the middle and a slight dry bitter finish. Very juicy and no discernible alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel- Super creamy, but with enough carbonation to bring out the hop flavors and bitterness. Thought this was the best part of the beer.

Overall- Very drinkable. Good flavor profile and just bitter enough to make you want to drink more, but not overpowering in the least.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

3.69/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a dull golden color. Body is transparent. Head is stellar. Head is bleach white and about two fingers high. Head retains very well and is frothy. Great lacing rings.

S-Just smelling it from the bottle, this brew is all hops. However after the pour I am getting a big caramel and sweet bread malt presence. Candied apricot hops. Perhaps maltier than hoppy in the nose. I trust Pretty Things and am not worried by its excessive balance (oxymoron?).

T-An interesting IPA. The malt is quite complex. Caramel drizzled pound cake. Hops are spicy. Hops are also candied oranges and apricots with a medicinal/herbal twinge. A bit too perfumey for my taste. The finish is noticeably piney and grassy. This is very well balanced and complex but not overly hop-stressed.

M-Creamy and sticky/resiny. Body is pretty round and full. Finishes with lasting pine bitterness. A bit chewy.

O/D-Unfortunately this let me down a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%