Meadowlark IPA | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: American IPA

Meadowlark IPA is a new juicy and floral hoppy, hoppy ale we brewed to celebrate the flavor and spirit of American craft brewing. This 7% alcohol beer has a sunny orange-yellow colour, 85 International Bittering Units, a smooth mouthfeel and layer upon layer of soft flowery hops. We wove earthy Citra and bitter Bravo hops from the Pacific Northwest with intensely fruity and aromatic Galaxy hops from Australia. The malts are pale malt & mild ale malt, pale crystal (1.3% of the grist), flaked barley with malty highlights from Munich malt and a bijoux of Roasted Barley. The resulting patchwork is as “American” tasting as short ribs and slaw, and provides an excellent accompaniment to that kind of food too! Very hoppy and bitter. Yum.

In the Spring of 2012 Martha became a US citizen and shortly after we embarked on a cross country trek by car, from our headquarters in Somerville, Massachusetts to San Diego with stops at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Kansas City, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Denver. There was a lot of barbecue and craft beer along the way and it was a sprint rather than a crawl, but the trip provided more than enough inspiration for our first ever American-style beer. From clambering over the red rocks of Utah to buying cowboy boots in a chicken-and-feed store in Arizona, we had an American adventure, ending up at the Craft Brewers’ Conference in San Diego. On the way, we also brewed our first ever collaboration beer with Boulevard Brewing Company in Kansas City, a Yorkshire Stingo.

We’re flattered that some people are surprised to hear that Pretty Things is making an American IPA. Martha and I spent almost three years in England, a vast beer paradise mind you, often craving hoppy American beers. These beers are very much part of the great fabric of the beer world just as bitter or bock or lambic, saison or stout. It would be a true omission if we left this one out. Also, I (Dann) spent two decades working in breweries here in the U.S. making and perfecting IPA’s. Perhaps you’ve never heard of any of these but I formulated and brewed hoppy beers like North East Brewing Company’s “Lobsterback IPA” (1996-2001), Concord IPA (2002-2004), Rapscallion Blessing (2002-2004), Haverhill’s “Leatherlips IPA” and “Supershow 69″(2005?). It’s part of my heritage as a first-generation craft brewer and I very much feel a need to express and enjoy this.

Also, this beer was a chance to reunite with an old friend and former Head Brewer of Boston’s Tremont Brewery: Jeff Biegert. Jeff and I would occasionally secretly brew together back in the mid-1990’s before brewer “collaborations” were a thing. Fifteen years or so later here we were again, and Martha and I brought in Jeff to help brainstorm the perfect American IPA. We really think Jeff’s work on creating the perfect water profile was the start of a great beer. So cheers for indulging us and we truly hope you enjoy this one – we sure worked hard on making it a great IPA for you!

Added by silentjay on 06-29-2012

View: Beers

I feel like if I could marry a beer that so far this one is on the list. I love this beer. Some of the long time established breweries dont even have an IPA as tasty as this one. This came out of no where for me and I can't stop buying it. I havent been to the brewery and I havent had this one on tap yet but I welcome it and cant wait

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Very much looking forward to drinking this beer because of a recent hiatus from craft beer due to fiscal irresponsibility and a resulting hop craving for the past few weeks. Pairing it with the song "Meadowlarks" from Fleet Foxes.

Bottled in: AUG 2012, so it's the second batch.

A: Beautiful, clear, golden-orange in color with a big, fluffy, pillowy, white head. Huge, sticky lace and decent retention.

S: Massive resiny, piney, earthy hops. A bit of malt. Some heat from the booze. Wonderful nose.

T: The dry, piney, resinous, earthy, floral hops are just what I needed. The fresh hop flavor can't be beat. And of course, not to be outdone by other American IPA's, a perfect amount of malt in the finish to balance this incredible beer. Every aspect of this brew is outstanding. I'm not kidding. Top notch. World class. I don't see how an American IPA can be better in this category.

M: Delicious straight from the bottle or allowed to warm up for an extended period of time. The flavors are incredible. If there is an epitome of the style, this could be it. Again, I just cannot see an American IPA being better here.

O: Surpassed my expectations and they were nearly as high as can be. Can Pretty Things do no wrong? I think so.

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smells of peach and passionfruit are plainly evident in the aroma due to the addition of galaxy hops. Taste is ever so slightly creamy with the following feel/taste on the back of the palate giving the only semblance that what you are drinking is in fact an IPA.

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up at ABC the other day. I was surprised to see it here in Florida. It had a bottled on date of 9-2014. Not good but I got it anyway. Pours an ok looking head with good retention. Slightly cloudy honey color. The smell is noticed as soon as the cap is opened. Smells very floral with typical hop aroma. There is something about the nose that I just think is perfect. The taste is out of this world! How is this possible with an almost year old IPA? This beer is perfectly balanced with not to much bitterness and not too malty like you would have expected from a older beer. I think this has aged perfectly. I can only wonder what this tastes like fresh. If I ever get up to Massachusetts I will definitely be seeking this out, meanwhile I'm going back to ABC to get the rest of there inventory of this incredible flavorful beer. Update, apparently Pretty Things is now available in Florida, ya. Picked up another bomber. This one dated 6-2015. As expected its much more hop forward than the year old one a had the other day. This IPA is still just about perfect. Very creamy, sweet and hoppy all perfectly balanced into a world class IPA. 1-2016 update, picked up my final Meadowlark last week, sad to see that they are retiring the brewery. This bottle dates to 8-2015 so not that fresh but not like my first bottle. Like always this beer is amazing! Great head with thick Foamy bottle lacing. Smell is a little weak this time around but the taste is perfect as always. Not a hop bomb, not to malty, just right. I'm somewhat sad drinking this since it's the one I will ever have

4.76/5  rDev +16.7%