Meadowlark IPA | Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States
prettythingsbeertoday.com

Style: American IPA

Meadowlark IPA is a new juicy and floral hoppy, hoppy ale we brewed to celebrate the flavor and spirit of American craft brewing. This 7% alcohol beer has a sunny orange-yellow colour, 85 International Bittering Units, a smooth mouthfeel and layer upon layer of soft flowery hops. We wove earthy Citra and bitter Bravo hops from the Pacific Northwest with intensely fruity and aromatic Galaxy hops from Australia. The malts are pale malt & mild ale malt, pale crystal (1.3% of the grist), flaked barley with malty highlights from Munich malt and a bijoux of Roasted Barley. The resulting patchwork is as “American” tasting as short ribs and slaw, and provides an excellent accompaniment to that kind of food too! Very hoppy and bitter. Yum.

In the Spring of 2012 Martha became a US citizen and shortly after we embarked on a cross country trek by car, from our headquarters in Somerville, Massachusetts to San Diego with stops at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Kansas City, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Denver. There was a lot of barbecue and craft beer along the way and it was a sprint rather than a crawl, but the trip provided more than enough inspiration for our first ever American-style beer. From clambering over the red rocks of Utah to buying cowboy boots in a chicken-and-feed store in Arizona, we had an American adventure, ending up at the Craft Brewers’ Conference in San Diego. On the way, we also brewed our first ever collaboration beer with Boulevard Brewing Company in Kansas City, a Yorkshire Stingo.

We’re flattered that some people are surprised to hear that Pretty Things is making an American IPA. Martha and I spent almost three years in England, a vast beer paradise mind you, often craving hoppy American beers. These beers are very much part of the great fabric of the beer world just as bitter or bock or lambic, saison or stout. It would be a true omission if we left this one out. Also, I (Dann) spent two decades working in breweries here in the U.S. making and perfecting IPA’s. Perhaps you’ve never heard of any of these but I formulated and brewed hoppy beers like North East Brewing Company’s “Lobsterback IPA” (1996-2001), Concord IPA (2002-2004), Rapscallion Blessing (2002-2004), Haverhill’s “Leatherlips IPA” and “Supershow 69″(2005?). It’s part of my heritage as a first-generation craft brewer and I very much feel a need to express and enjoy this.

Also, this beer was a chance to reunite with an old friend and former Head Brewer of Boston’s Tremont Brewery: Jeff Biegert. Jeff and I would occasionally secretly brew together back in the mid-1990’s before brewer “collaborations” were a thing. Fifteen years or so later here we were again, and Martha and I brought in Jeff to help brainstorm the perfect American IPA. We really think Jeff’s work on creating the perfect water profile was the start of a great beer. So cheers for indulging us and we truly hope you enjoy this one – we sure worked hard on making it a great IPA for you!

Added by silentjay on 06-29-2012

4.1

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is a very good beer that dances that fine line and is almost outstanding. The finish is a bit too bitter for my taste and end up being dry on the back end. Almost too much going on: florals, grasses, carmel, grape fruit and bitter grapefruit rind. Beer poured a nice copper color with a one finger head. A thin head with some distinctive larger bubbles remained throughout the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

Not what I was expecting. More of an English style IPA. It has a great nose coming out of the bottle. I was thinking more citrus flavors, but instead I got a lot of bitterness. The taste lingered in my mouth a lot longer then I feel it should. Disappointed. I would probably not have this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottled in August.

This was a clear coppery golden color, it poured with a small fizzy head.

The malt base was very much caramel forward with a little sugar cookie sweetness as well. There was a nice grassy lemon hop bite that tasted very fresh. Top notch IPA, thanks to my brother-in-law for sharing.

4.92/5  rDev +20%