La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) | Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)
4.17/5
Exceptional

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Netherlands
latrappe.nl

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Quadrupel is La Trappe’s heaviest ale with a stunning amber colour. Its warm and intense flavour is rich and finely balanced. Malty sweet, slightly burnt, and pleasantly bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Quadrupel continues to ferment after bottling and offers aromas of banana, almond, vanilla and others.

Added by kbub6f on 03-07-2002

Ratings: 2,414 |  Reviews: 971
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Clear, somewhat light amber-orange with a light tan head.

Smell: Like the description says, banana, vanilla, almond, with hoppy, some what grassy undertones.

Taste: This beer reminds me of amaretto. It's sort of bitter in the mouth (it's 10% and you can tell), and that took just a little bit away for me, but it's so sweet. The banana scent gives way to stronger taste of vanilla, almond, and maybe apricots (like I said, amaretto). Beautifully sweet going down, leaves kind of a cool aftertaste. Hints of roastiness as well, almost like hazelnut.

Feel: "Spicy" carbonation, good body. Dry mouthfeel after swallowing.

Overall: Easily one of my favorite beers.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Leans towards the amber side of the spectrum in the quads category.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Distinctive, full bodied flavor that I could identify blindfolded. Otherwise, great carbonation. Excellent beer. So many good memories enjoying this beer. One of my favorite restaurants used to have this on tap. It is the banana smoothy of the premium beer world.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

I live in Europe now and did a road trip through Holland and Belgium and visited many Trappist breweries on the way. La Trappe is my favorite brand and the quadrupel is my favorite beer of them all.

It is amber in color with a light head out of the bottle. Despite the 10% alcohol it does not taste overly strong. Kind of fruity with a hint of spices. It is a sweet beer which I like too. Overall a phenomenal beer and the best I have ever had. Glad I can’t get it on the regular and suck back .75L bottles while I watch Westworld. Side note, other favorites are La Trappe Tripel and Rochefort 6.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hot damn! This this was delicious...

I always make it a point to pick up a few, not many, but a few craft beer imports when I do my beer-runs. I grabbed this one simply because I like quadrupels. I let this one age about 9 months and I'm so glad that I did. Right out of the bottle it pours out a hazy caramel colored liquid, decent head, with some staying power but no lacing. The haze is something I normally don't gravitate to, but this haze had something different to it - not sure I can put it into words, maybe highlighted(?). Anyway, the smell was a light mix of booze and a sweetness I couldn't put my finger on, the lightness of this mix really impressed me. Mouthfeel was a light-medium body with a smooth creaminess and a level of carbonation that we undeniable, but did not detract from the experience. This all leads me to the taste which was distinctively boozy without being a turn-off, a roasty taste and a sweetness that I would categorize this as a dessert beer - I'll try to keep that in mind for next time...Why? 'Cause there will definitely be a next time as I will be on the look out for this treasure at my next run to the liquor store.

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer!

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Had a snifter with dinner tonight at Howells and Hood for $12.00.

Beer was served burgundy brown with a nice white head that had some good hang time.

Nose had hints of banana and other phenols.

Taste was sweet and had hints of bananas, raisins, figs, and almonds. Finish was somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied and smooth.

Overall a pretty solid brew that i am happy to have finally enjoyed!

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 2,414 ratings