La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) | Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)
4.17/5
Exceptional

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Netherlands
latrappe.nl

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Quadrupel is La Trappe’s heaviest ale with a stunning amber colour. Its warm and intense flavour is rich and finely balanced. Malty sweet, slightly burnt, and pleasantly bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Quadrupel continues to ferment after bottling and offers aromas of banana, almond, vanilla and others.

Added by kbub6f on 03-07-2002

Ratings: 2,405 |  Reviews: 970
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Leans towards the amber side of the spectrum in the quads category.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Distinctive, full bodied flavor that I could identify blindfolded. Otherwise, great carbonation. Excellent beer. So many good memories enjoying this beer. One of my favorite restaurants used to have this on tap.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

I live in Europe now and did a road trip through Holland and Belgium and visited many Trappist breweries on the way. La Trappe is my favorite brand and the quadrupel is my favorite beer of them all.

It is amber in color with a light head out of the bottle. Despite the 10% alcohol it does not taste overly strong. Kind of fruity with a hint of spices. It is a sweet beer which I like too. Overall a phenomenal beer and the best I have ever had. Glad I can’t get it on the regular and suck back .75L bottles while I watch Westworld. Side note, other favorites are La Trappe Tripel and Rochefort 6.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hot damn! This this was delicious...

I always make it a point to pick up a few, not many, but a few craft beer imports when I do my beer-runs. I grabbed this one simply because I like quadrupels. I let this one age about 9 months and I'm so glad that I did. Right out of the bottle it pours out a hazy caramel colored liquid, decent head, with some staying power but no lacing. The haze is something I normally don't gravitate to, but this haze had something different to it - not sure I can put it into words, maybe highlighted(?). Anyway, the smell was a light mix of booze and a sweetness I couldn't put my finger on, the lightness of this mix really impressed me. Mouthfeel was a light-medium body with a smooth creaminess and a level of carbonation that we undeniable, but did not detract from the experience. This all leads me to the taste which was distinctively boozy without being a turn-off, a roasty taste and a sweetness that I would categorize this as a dessert beer - I'll try to keep that in mind for next time...Why? 'Cause there will definitely be a next time as I will be on the look out for this treasure at my next run to the liquor store.

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer!

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Had a snifter with dinner tonight at Howells and Hood for $12.00.

Beer was served burgundy brown with a nice white head that had some good hang time.

Nose had hints of banana and other phenols.

Taste was sweet and had hints of bananas, raisins, figs, and almonds. Finish was somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied and smooth.

Overall a pretty solid brew that i am happy to have finally enjoyed!

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Mnnn.....MNNNNNNNnnn.....damn, this is good. Pineapple, honey and plum with a hint of hops. Very different from most Quads and Tripels. Hides the 10% quite well when cold. To top it off, the smell is divine and the head pretty decent. Overall, a winner. One of my top five.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The best quad I have ever taste. Sweet and strong and the same time. It is amazing but by the tine is warming up the alcohol taste increases 10%. I prefer this one quite cold at 5 degrees aprox.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hands down my favorite beer of all time. So far.
Introduced to several friends and relatives with nothing but positive results.
I'd share it more, but if I don't think you'd appreciate a beer that retails over $5 per glass, I might hold it back.
Bias note - I am particularly fond of Belgian ales. This one is tops in my book, even though it's from Netherlands.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very slightly cloudy orange/copper color with an inch and a half white head that was well retained and left nice lacing. Smells of sweet malts, bananas and alcohol. Tastes of sweet malts, bananas, honey, cloves, apples, yeast and raisins. Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, slightly dry and bitter finish.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Beer rating: 4.17 out of 5 with 2,405 ratings