La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) | Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Netherlands
latrappe.nl

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

In 2009, the Koningshoeven brewery reinstated an age-old tradition: aging La Trappe Quadrupel in oak barrels (also known as ‘barriques’).

This way of aging ale results in a unique, complex flavour, which varies from one type of barrel to another. Quadrupel can be conserved for many years, and is a real treat for true ale enthusiasts. And this is yet another ale that continues to ferment after bottling, while its rich taste and high tannin content are likely to even surprise many a wine drinker!

BATCH 1 (blended on June 1, 2010).
New Oak Heavy Toast - 18.2%
New Medium Acasia - 9.1%
Port Medium Burnt - 36.4%
Port Medium Toast - 36.4%

BATCH 2 (blended on July 26, 2010).
New Medium Oak Toast - 9%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (Amer. Oak) - 64%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (French Oak) - 9%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 18%

BATCH 3 (blended on September 17, 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 18%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 55%
La Trappe Q. Medium Toast (French Oak) - 27%

BATCH 4 (blended on 5 November 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 27%

White wine used Oak Heavy Toast - 80%

BATCH 8 (blended in October 2011):
Whiskey - 70%
New Fr. Oak Medium Toast - 30%

BATCH 14 (blended on June 24, 2013).
Acacia Wood - 7%
New Oak Barrels - 11%
Limousine Barrels with Cognac - 82%

BATCH16 (blended in March 2014)
Brandy 36,5%
Oloroso 27%
New Oak Medium Toast 10%
New Oak High Toast 10%
Late Burgundy 10%

Added by PapaEugene on 11-06-2009

1.75/5  rDev -58.4%

This is batch 8. According to the bottle there is "pleasant variation from batch to batch."

Pours a dark red-brown color. No head and not much lacing despite 10% abv.
Smells almost like a whiskey, with oak and muted fruit scents. Some burned toast in there too.
Taste is a smokey beef jerky, finishes with some sweet caramel.

Overall it's not very enjoyable. The smell is quite unique and even attractive, but the beer drinks like liquefied beef jerky. I'm glad I had the chance to try it, but keep in mind that this is not a "better" version of the normal La Trappe. This is a different beer entirely.

I realize my rating may be considered a bit stingy but I am drinking this without any consideration given to the La Trappe label or the high price of this beer. It is afterall still a drink, and unfortunately this one just isn't very good.

2.19/5  rDev -48%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Presentation: small, 12.7 fl oz corked and caged bottle. Price: $14.99 per small bottle. I was warned off of this buy the liquor store man who's knowledgeable in Belgians, stating, "it tastes like an ashtray". I'm a smoker. I'll take the risk. I've not tasted the beer yet. (Edit at the end of my review: now that I've tasted it, his judgment was borne out, although it wasn't as bad as he claimed it to be.)

Batch 7. Poured at 50ºF.

A: Pours a very dark, relatively clear dried-blood red colour, with copious amounts of black yeast floaties/lees in the bottle (whether due to a poor pour or what, I don't know - I poured it gently and am generally good at pouring Trappists and bottle-conditioned ales). Hardly any appearance of carbonation, with a small, loose, soapy head that quickly recedes in to a ring. Lacing is surprisingly strong for such a weak head. The large amount of lees are unappetizing; for whatever reason they are there: appearance is no higher than 3.25 at most. I've still yet to taste the beer.

S: Stale smoke and ash. Nothing else comes through. 2.5.

T: Decent on the front-palate, displaying alcohol and dark fruit typical to the style, with a finish of incredibly dry, caustic stale ash, as if from an ashtray. There is an after-finish of sweetness. This beer coats the mouth. There is a mild malt backbone, and virtually non-existent hop character. Ash comes through strong. The charred oak character of this beer is SEVERELY unbalanced by anything else; if this was a Scotch whisky, maybe the alcohol would balance out the blackened oak taste.

Several more sips confirm my suspicion. The taste of this beer is not good, but it's not (that) horrible either. Below average.

M: Sweet water with an admixture of ash and alcohol. No carbonation, very unlively. Very poor. There is a sand-like feeling on the palate, however strange that may sound.

D: Almost nonexistent. No wonder this isn't served in 750mL bottles. I can't finish a 375mL.

O: Strongly disappointed with my first tasting of a Koningshoeven Trappist brew. I'll try some of their regular, non oak-aged stuff, next time. Speaking blasphemy, yet nevertheless true blasphemy, I would rather drink a BMC than this most any day, not even taking in to consideration the outrageous price ($30/750mL). Considering the price, this is a bad beer.

One thumbs down, one thumb horizontal, in the position of a Roman Magistrate deciding whether to give the death-sentence to the gladiator today, or whether to give him a stay of execution until the next time he's in the arena.

The beer looks like blood, and has a mild feel of sand: how fitting then, to say, as in the Sam Raimi Spartacus series, "Blood and Sand". Or as Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time would say, even more apropos, "Blood and bloody ashes" (as a curse), as this beer tastes like ashes.

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

2.66/5  rDev -36.8%

This was batch 9. Poured into a snifter. Heavy pour no head to speak of. Poured at 52 degrees
into a clean glass. I was alarmed at the pour. I had stored it in on my cellar floor in the dark, temp about 60 degrees should not have been a problem, others have done fine. Must have been the retail store or in shipping that made it go bad. Look stayed cloudy but no floaties.

It smelled ok, not spoiled but too much alcohol.

It had sour note with fruitiness. I don't care to go in-depth. Very disappointed because I had a batch 11 and it was very good. I rated it 4.5.

Mouth was flat. Unappealing.

Overall, I was very let down. Not often I get a bad beer. $15.99 down the drain, although I did drink it. Just suffered through it because I could not pour it out.

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.83/5  rDev -32.8%

Batch #3

A. Heavy brownish read in color with a non filtered appearance.

S. Smell is, well, disappointing, no real hints of oak, or as far as thats concerned anything at all, very tame.

T. Taste is very mild and tame, which could be seen as a positive thing given that it hides the the high ABV.

Mouthfeel: is very light with a heavy carbonation , very mild bodied and a soft finish.

Overall: The tamest most non memorable Trappist that I have had, if there was a style to tie it to I would call it a session Trappist, But this beer under-delivers for being a $15 bottle, disappointed, yes.

2.92/5  rDev -30.6%

Batch 11 from 375 cl bottle. I paid $14. Generally I like or love Belgian Ales. This one was a big disappointment for me. The "cork" was made of some plastic that was very difficult to remove- I had to use a 16" set of Knipex pliers. Once I got past this issue I was excited about the pour. But disappointed that there was not even a millimeter of foam. This was seriously deficient in carbonation for me. I almost wanted to throw it out and drink something else. I did get through it and the taste was not so bad as it had complexity and flavor going for it. It didn't look pretty to me in a tulip glass-- Too thick, no bubbles, looked like flat cola to me. I haven't seen any Batch 11 reviews here so I thought this might add to the many reviews. Could be Batch 11 is particularly bad.

3.04/5  rDev -27.8%

batch 19? 01-2040, 13:57 K26A15
Bought @ the location

L: tan/brown, with thin head
S: wood, some vanilla, a smoke (rauch malt),
T: woody tannin is dominant, faint vanilla, some caramel malt, alcoholic sweetness, some fruity tartness (prune, cherry), herbal/earthy bitterness (hop?) on back of my tongue
F: bit chewy, but this is a heavy beer so expect it
O: a bit too strong on the wood as is. wished it was bit more mellow, may be blended with dubbel or something. will age another one for a bit longer and re-review!

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a goblet. K03E11 10:32, Batch 7 (I think, though I can't be sure since the "7" is printed on the black part of the label). I performed a feat of strength when I got this cork out.

3.25 A: Murky purplish brown color. Just a touch of beige head that didn't last too long.

3.75 S: Twould appear that this is one of the whiskey versions. Though I can identify the aroma as whiskey, it has a strange rubber/latex component to it. Despite how it sounds, it's not unpleasant. TONS of date aroma in this, probably more so than in any other beer I've sniffed. Caramel, fig, toastiness, and plum. Whiskey does a good job of not overpowering the base beer and for that I'm thrilled. Aside from the rubbery aroma, the whiskey offers a solid earthiness, plenty of peat, and oak. Strange, but quite nice.

3.25 T: The taste is fine, but it falls flat (more on that in the MF). The base beer can't compete with the whiskey despite the whiskey not being overly strong. Date, brown sugar, fig, toastiness, plum, and molasses are still there, but they all play second fiddle to the whiskey. It is for this reason that I believe most Belgian styles do not benefit from any flavored barrel treatment, though I still can't help myself from trying them. Anyway, peaty whiskey gives earth and oak again.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. There isn't enough carbonation. I like my Belgians spritzy and bubbly and this doesn't have enough carbonation to fulfill that. Otherwise, it's not bad. Goes down super easy.

3.25 D: It's an easy drink, but it doesn't have enough quality in the taste or mouthfeel to justify paying $15 for it. Give it a try if you must.

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From www.elcervecero.es. Watching "Cabin in the woods". Batch 15. Tastes like wine, and I prefer beer. Better the non-oak-aged version

3.39/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch #7 (the first of the Whiskey barrel aged batches), Blended in June 2011, consumed in June 2015.

The regular La Trappe Quad is one of my favorites of the style. This was $15 for a 12oz bottle, and was apparently aged entirely in used Whiskey barrels. Poured into a La Trappe chalice, there was absolutely no head on it. Not sure the whiskey barrels did it any favor. I cannot detect any of the flavor of the Quad itself, that having been swamped out by peat and smoke, in both flavor and aroma. The alcohol is well masked, but leaves a pleasant warming sensation on my tongue/throat.

Presented with another chance to purchase a bottle from Batch #7, I'd probably pass it up. However, other batches look more interesting, and the base quad is always pleasant.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.