La Trappe Blond (Koningshoeven / Dominus) | Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

good
poor
Read the review
La Trappe Blond (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Blond (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Netherlands
latrappe.nl

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

This scintillating golden ale boasts a rich, fruity, and fresh aroma. And a light malty and sweet taste. It has a soft bitterness with a friendly aftertaste. A well-balanced blend of complexity and simplicity. La Trappe Blond continues to ferment in the bottle.

Added by Quaffer on 09-24-2000

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +22%

Unfiltered amber not very liquid ale with outstanding trappist aroma (malt, apricots, milk toffee, smth citrus)
Almost absent head
Taste is rather complex - fruits & yeast with strong malt ending, a hint of hop, middle carbonation, noble & refreshing beer!

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Fruity aroma.This beer poured a big, creamy long lasting head.This beer left a good lacing on the sides of my glass.The body was cloudy with an amber hue.The nose of this beer was fruity.I found this beer to have a smooth, sweet and fruity taste to it.It didn't taste bitter or have an overwhelmig aftertaste to it.I would drink this brew again.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Pours a very pleasant coppery gold color. The head was light and short lived. The nose is exceptionally sweet and spiced malt with hop notes. The flavor is moderately dry malt and lightly hopped. There is some really unique spice notes here that are very difficult to identify. The taste is clean and the mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth. Very good Belgian here – Try it – I highly recommend this one

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Excellent all-around brew... As one of the Trappist Beers, this is definitely world-class stuff... top-notch with a superb appearance... cloudy, hazy, with a foamy, frothy head with some staying power... smell is complete with bright, fresh fruits and a sweet, caramel taste that bursts through and truly satisfies... slight carbonation visible behind a warming palate of floral, sweet, candied goodness... goes down as smooth as water with excellent mouthfeel and easy drinkability for a 6.5% ABV... no alcohol detected at all... light, cotton-candy flavor with a wonderful aftertaste... no bitterness present... all sugar and sweet malts... Defintely recommended...

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Pours a hazy bright golden orange color with a very tall and pillowy white head that coats the walls of the glass as it slowly fades into a creamy lace. Nose is quite fruity with notes of fresh banana, clove, and nutmeg. Smooth and extremely creamy in the mouth and medium in body. Taste is dominated by creamy banana with additional flavors of fresh citrus, ripe peaches, clove, nutmeg, and vanilla. Very nice! I’m surprised to see some of the low ratings for this beer as I found it to be a real pleasure to drink. Reminds me a lot of a Hefeweizen but a bit more complex.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

Bottle: embossed 330mL brown bottle, very stylish label.

Appearance: slightly hazy amber with fantastic thick head with amazing retention and lacing.

Aroma: sweet malts, caramel, aromatic floral hops, hint of citrus.

Taste: wonderfully balanced, fruits, the floral hops, malt caramels and breads. Just lovely.

Aftertaste: all flavours linger nicely and last a decent while.

Mouthfeel: medium to heavy body, moderate carbonation. Quite nice.

Overall: such a nice drinking Belgian ale. Top marks.

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%

Had this in the stylish Koningshoeven chalice. Pours orange with an off-white head that laces well, rather effervescent. Aroma was fantastic, light fruits, floral, if a woman smelled like this I'd be all over her, very "girly", they should bottle this an sell it as perfume. Taste was very caramelly like the Koningshoeven Tripel, with a light hoppy finish. Mouthfeel was rather light and carbonated, but not unpleasently so. Mmmm... very nice... I could smell and drink this all night...

...

I really need a girlfriend...

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

Another stellar product from this brewery. Great aroma from yeast. Fruity peach and secondary citrus taste, easy drink. Good 1st or 2nd beer. A great pale. Hoppy too. Honey malt and nice malt and yeast aftertaste. Opaque orange, alcohol creeps up on you.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

making my way through the la trappe variety pack (with glass).. sweet!

first time drinking this one despite my love for their trip and quad. looks great- a SUPER clear golden orange, like sierra nevada. crisp, bubbly thin head.

smells amazing. i never used the words 'fruit bouquet', but here i go: fruit bouquet! very heavy on berry and almost watermeloney.

taste can best be described as a young version of the triple. crisp and fruity, as expected, with banana subtleties. upset i never tried this before- would love to try it in a 750. drinkable, a good session beer.

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: A slightly cloudy, golden color. It looked great in a goblet from the brewery. There was a sustained bead the whole time that I was drinking this beer. And this thing had a head that just won't quit. I think it is still there, and I have already washed the glass! A thin layer, punctuated by thicker globules, persisted the entire drink. It was great!

Smell: Fruity and wonderfull.

Taste: Just like the smell, fruity and wonderfull. Classic Belgian, strong ale flavors. (I know, I know, it's not from Belgium.)

I've had all the La Trappe beers, and I must say that I didn't know if this one would hold up against the other three. I saw "Blond" on the bottle and expected something wimpy. Of course, I should have known better. This beer was great. Maybe even my favorite of the four . . . ?

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle from Systembolaget.

A. Cloudy orange golden, with 2 fingers of a very thick, creamy head. Very interesting and inviting. The foam, however, vanishes very quickly.

S: The smell is clearly yeast and bread, some sweetness (banana), floral notes and very fresh. Really nice smell

T: The taste follows the smell. There is a clear dominance of the yeasty flavor, with some bread and malt in the end. Complementing this there are notes of banana, and flowers, making it very fresh and very nice to drink. I had drink another Blond to compare (Maredsous blond) and I can tell this one is clearly superior. The taste is much more defined, and lasts much longer.

F: Fresh, full of flavors and sensations. Very nice. Medium carbonation

O: This was a superb experience. I enjoyed this one a lot, and I can imagine it will be perfect for a warm summer day.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

La Trappe Blond is a delicious and high quality blond ale. Lots of interesting Belgian flavours and an amazing mouthfeel.

A: Yellow colour and a 1 cm head that lasts due to good carbonation. 4.5

S: Lemon and yeast and a little sweetness. 4.5

T: Foamy, yeastiness with some spicy clove flavour. Very clean finish. 4

M: So foamy with lots of extremely fine bubbles. 5

O: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the first Trappist beer I've had and it was an absolute treat with a really vivid banana flavour, a nice head, and a good cloudy golden colour.

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smooth and delicious! Absolutely tasty. Head a little thin, but body is perfect weight. Thank god for the Dutch Trappists for creating a slice of heaven on Earth!

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Poured into a large wine glass. Very bubbly, with rocky head. Pale amber / honey, with some yeast haze when finishing bottle.
S: Fruity esters, maybe pear, pineapple, kiwi fruit. Cara/crystal malts, floral hop.
F: Sweetish, perfumy esters, tropical fruit, touch of honeycomb, Very complex, with subtleties everywhere. Finishes semi-sweet, light bittereness, herbal aftertaste, light zing.
Lightly sweet, sour, & bitter.
M: Medium body, finishes richly.
O: Great beer, with a reasonably high ABV for a Blonde/BPA.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

I have tried Koningshoeven quad and found is very good. But I must admit that I did not know it was a Trappist brew. Now that I know the question is do I like it more? Not really, it is nice to know, but not since I like the quad to begin with, I cannot say it is any better.

On with the review:
Apearence: Hazy golden with less head than I'd like, but again I'm attributing that to the storage method (see note).
Smell: Very strong malt smell with some vanillas.
Taste: Very fruity sweetness with bitter spiciness for good mesure. I sense almost a tanginess which is nice. Strong alcohol flavor for the ABV.
Mouthfeel: Full body with not much carbonation
Drinkability: This is a pleasure to drink.

Notes: I got this at Wegmans Liquor and they store select bottled beers in a special wine display which is sideways. It looks good and I'm impressed they would bother, but this is not optimial storage for many corked brews. For example, the cork broke as I was trying to remove it from the bottle. Not cool. I had to resort to a wine opener to finish the job. Another time I got St. Bernardus Abt 12 and once I took the cage off I the cork popped. Again, not cool.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

La Trappe Blond (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.