Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rook Porter | Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co.

3.72/5
Good

Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
ashevillepizza.com

Style: American Porter

Added by Jason on 02-22-2005

Reviews by Backer2004:
3.63/5  rDev 0%

Great porter at 6% ABV. This was the last beer I tried of many at the brews cruise in Asheville so it may be unfair because my taste buds were shot and I had trouble finish this pint. Very dark and deep, almost to a stout. Little head and carbonation. Lots of chocolate and caramel, almost overwhelming. Not bad with the spicy food I had, but some other choices there would go better.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Bottle was a 2006 GABF left-over that was given to me as a reward for my volunteer efforts. Thanks a million to GABF and to Asheville Brewing for the opportunity. Entered into judging in category #58 (Robust Porter). Pours a two finger light-brown or borwn-tan head over a stark liquid with dark borwn edgings. Smells rich chocolate, toffee, and coffee roast. Nice flat dark malt character.

Tastes rich dry chocolate with undertones of sour roast and toffee. Wet esters combine with light hop citrus. Grassy hop co-humulone is noticable, but mild. Malt dries near the end. Esters are mild...maybe some fig, but overall pretty clean. Hops seem to have a bit of solventy character. Drying carbonation is heavier than I'd like and md-thick body. Woody dry finish.

Rook Porter from Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co.