Odyssey Imperial IPA | Sly Fox Brewing Company

slyfoxbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by maybrick on 12-11-2004

1.14/5  rDev -69.4%

This "Brewery" should be closed!! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!! Tastes like absolute crap!! Stay FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY!!

I am not sure what they were going for, but this is BY FAR, the WORST IPA of any kind, I have ever had, and I have drank over 100 of them now!! GROSS!!!

1.69/5  rDev -54.6%

2.02/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

12oz can into a tulip. Big thanks to Kegatron for hooking a brother up with all these canned offerings. The brew appears a mildly hazed copper color with 2.5 fingers of yellowish stained froth that collapses slowly to some big bubble formation and full patches of thick lace sticking to the glass. Before too long, a huge uneven cratered surface appears atop the liquid.

The aroma is dirty and almost chemical filled but not in a terribly disgusting way. It is somewhat mineral to metallic in character with such a strange aspect that seems chlorinated with some sulfur, cheese and fruity hops. As I smell this brew more, it has a bit of toasted toffee grain character blended into the backend as well.

The flavor is rindy, pitty and bitter with a flavor of grapefruit zest and pulp. A bit of catty quality mixed with bitter orange rinds and toffee to caramel sweetness mixed with biscuit to toasty grain. Somewhat buttery even a hint of grass, minerals and chlorine just like the aroma suggested.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. The alcohol is somewhat integrated well within the confines of a bunch of strange character going on in this brew. I appreciate the chance to try this but could not finish my glass. Heath, I greatly appreciate the chance to try this but I am glad you liked this brew as little as I did. I would have felt like a jerk saying how terrible I felt this brew was without seeing you thought the same.

2.11/5  rDev -43.3%

12oz can. Copper with a thick and foamy off-white head and general rich look to it. Smells medicinal and even a little metallic with a combo of tropical citrus and malt twang across the back. This isn’t pleasant. Taste is even less appealing with a raw vegetal bitterness that clashes with the herbal and tropical fruit feel on the edges. More raw bitterness on the finish. The feel is medium bodied with a crisp softness to the carbonation but this showing too much of that 8%+ ABV. Yikes. I’ve never been a big fan of this beer but this can presentation was pretty atrocious. I’m not sure if it was compromised in some way but the metallic, medicinal and all around raw feel of the flavors was pretty off-putting. Cool looking packaging but that’s about it.

2.27/5  rDev -39%

Dark amber colored, white head. Some lacing and head retention.

Smell is malty, some pine hops in the background.

Taste is a sweet malty mess with dry hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel and drinkability....yeah, it doesn't really matter, there's got to be something wrong with this bottle. It's dated 12/8/11 (best by, I assume) so it can't be that old. Last year's version was a lot better than this. I'm not impressed.

2.68/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Poured from can to a tulip, well within best by date on can.

Pours a rich copper with gnarly cream colored head which is persistent. Great lacing. Looking forward to smelling and tasting this one.

Smell is a letdown. Somewhat biscuity, bland malts, severely lacking in any definitive hop aromas. Mildly astringent. Not entirely unpleasant though.

Taste is like the nose, but worse. None of the bready malts shine through for me, just nondescript cat pissy hops. I doubt it's intentional though. Blah.

Mouthfeel is fault-free. Not overly sticky for an IIPA

Overall, this beer was a letdown. Had some good traits, hut many more bad traits in my opinion.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours light amber with clean filtering. Slight lacing on pint glass.

High presence of citrus and pine hops with a bit of dinginess.

Hop flavor only somewhat higher than that you would expect from a standard IPA, but unfocused. Prob from the mixing of various "leftover" hops from their IPA- project.

Nice mouthfeel and easy drinkability. The alcohol is masked appropriately for it's imperial status.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I hate this rating system

2.77/5  rDev -25.5%

On tap at Molly's Irish pub & sports bar in Bethlehem, PA.

A- pours an orange/amber color with a light, white head that dissipates quickly. Some lacing around the glass upon drinking further.

S- not very much on the nose. Some earthy hop aromas and a heavy malt forward profile. Very lacking in this category

T- tastes of bitter hops, biscuit malt, and a slight carbonation. The hops overpower the malt on the front and finish, malt flavor is prevalent just after the initial sip where some sweetness is detected.

M- prickly on the tongue but not overly carbonated. Slick on the tongue.

O- at 8 plus percent abv, there are better imperial IPAs out there that will deliver more flavor and much satisfaction than this brew. Although this brew is not bad, it's not fantastic.

2.84/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.89/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance - Golden orange with a WAY to massive head, even after a gentle pour. A mushroom cloud of white bubbles took up more than 2/3 of the glass. Just the head alone is enough to knock it down a a couple pegs.

Smell - Smell is extremely creamy and sweet, almost hefe-weizen like. Hops are very faint if at all.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Bitter hops mix with an almost earthy taste. Very sharp and carbonated taste that is medium bodied. Maybe some orange lends to a citrus fruit taste. Somewhat mettalic flavor lingers as well.

Drinkability - Not what I was hoping for at all. Hope it was just a bad bottle, but not worth wasting the time and money on unless you live in the area, and can pick up a bottle without much effort.

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Pours a nice golden orange with a fluffy white two finger head into my tulip glass. Tons of sticky lacing drips down the rim.

S- Lots of fresh cut grass and bitter citrusy hops with just a hint of malt. Really not much going on here. Pretty unimpressive for an Imperial IPA!

T- Bitter grassiness, grapefruit pith and some earthiness hit you just before the subtle sweetness from the malt takes over. The bitterness has neither the citrus punch, or pure piney flavor that alot of IIPA's have. Not horrible, but I thought this would be much better.

M- Nice carbonation, but really bitter without any real citrus bomb flavor! The mouthfeel mirrors the smell.

O- I know this was fresh because my store just got this yesterday when I bought it. Not the worst IIPA i've ever had, but It's not likely I'll buy this again.

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

Blind bomber #8 from the Blind Bombers BIF.
Poured into a snifter (explanation to follow).
This beer is consumed and reviewed without any knowledge of the beer, brewer, or even style.

Upon cracking open the bottle, I honestly thought this was a saison... A citrus and spice aroma wafted from the bottle... I realized it could be an ipa, so, I went with a snifter. After pouring it, seeing it, smelling the full beer, and tasting it, I think a snifter was in fact a good choice-- this seems to be another DIPA from this BIF!

Pours a coppery amber color with 2 fingers of off-white head. Derby retention and lacing. I prefer a lighter color-- and there are some dark yeast sediments in my glass that remind me of dark sand.

The smell is lemony and citrus notes with. Lot of spices-- saison like spices. A peppery note is very pronounced here-- and it seems odd.

Very little sweetness... Leads to a surprisingly little hop kick. This beer comes across as bland-- almost watered down. Nothing really pops on the flavor: actually the spicy notes seem to be the most influential... Not how I like my IPAs-- The spices kick in on the finish and in the aftertaste... Very differnt, but not necessarily in a good way.

The aftertaste lingers with a sweet and bitter note that leaves me feeling thirty-- like I need some water. Some grapefruit flavors sneak past the spicy hops and permeate the aftertaste.

The body is more than medium with a good carbonation level. No complaints here.

As far as drinkabilty goes-- this isn't bad. This isn't great either. This seems to me to be a standard offering from a small local brewery.... Nothing that people trade for or seek out, but one all the locals try when they put it on tap.

Rip open the envelope...
And this is Slyfox's Odyssey DIPA.
Hmmm... I really like their Pils-- but not their 113 IPA. Their DIPA isn't very impressive either it seems...

I will give these guys another shot though-- I really liked their Pils- and I love the fact they can their beer!
4/3/2.5/4/3