Dunkel Lager | Sly Fox Brewing Company

Liked:
3.59/5
Alströms:

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured into Town Hall chalice.

Pours a large fizzy pop like head that fades to a thin layer fast. Color is a clear burnt caramel.

Aroma: Burnt candy sugar. Toffee and roasted malt flavors. Very sweet any syrup like. Maybe some molasses. Not something I am enjoying.

Taste: A sweet candy sugar taste. Molasses and plums. Burnt malts with a smoked flavor. This beer just has so much odd flavors going on that don't mix well. Cherries near the end with a Dr. Pepper flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: Dry and extremely fizzy. Light to medium bodied with a massive amount of carbonation. Ends with a bunch of sweet flavors all over the place.

Overall, this beer simply isn't good. I really couldn't pick out one good aspect of this beer. Not drinkable at all. A B average? I really can't see where that is coming from.

2.31/5  rDev -35.7%

Bought a six pack of this stuff.

SFDL pours out your dark brown pond water color and comes into the glass a deep dark bark brown color with a short lived cap of cocco looking head that's frosty. No stick. Smell is kinda really bad and it just smells off, fresh can by the way. Uh, smells like roasted malt, degraded grain and shame. Taste is no better, i really feel like im drinking pond water here. I cant describe it, not my bag. Feel is watery not lively, kinda flat and weird? I drank all six and I will never do it again.

2.34/5  rDev -34.8%

appearance: translucent brown with hues of red and yellow throughout. Plenty of head that dissipates quickly. Little visible carbonation, no lacing

smell: the first whiff I got was pure medicine. as I kept smelling that seemed to dissipate a bit, after that it was an equal part combination of a bit of bready malt, the medicine/band-aid smell and some yeast

taste: decent bready malt but again with that band-aid flavor. has a nice lightly sharp hop bight at the end.

mouthfeel: more carbonation then I expected, medium-light body and a bit of astringence

drinkability: I'm going to be pouring this out and rinsing my mouth out. I would've rated it worse if I didn't know that there weren't some things here that were good and trying to get passed whatever happened to this beer. There is obviously something wrong with this particular can and I plan to re-review it.

2.46/5  rDev -31.5%

Can o'beer, a dunkel no less. Let's see.
Looks like a cola. Caramel color, nice foaming from a can. Not much aroma, a bit thin in the head.
A bit of malt sweetness to start things out. Grain taste, not much else. Hard to separate this from a Michelob dark. Much better than a Macro lager, though. Cleaner for sure.

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%

Shared by Mike last night. Thanks! I'm always up for a beer in a can and / or a German lager, both? Sign me up.

Beer served in a snifter. It's brown and slightly hazy with a wispy white head of small bubbles, a few medium to large bubbles, low carbonation and no lacing. Looks OK.

Aroma is where it all goes wrong. The aroma is so sickingly sweet that it is not possible to identify this beer as a lager let alone a dunkel lager. It's caramel and butter. GROSS! I jokingly suggest that it might be a Kvas.

Beer is thin and watery with a sweetness that goes with the aroma. It's not good....I do not enjoy this beer. The taste is slightly better than the aroma which tempted me to just pour it out but my curiosity always wins out. Sly Fox is not winning me over with this thin overly sweet disaster of the a lager. Also there is a strong diacetyl character. I won't have this again.

2.61/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Can thanks to ChrisPro as part of Blind BIF Round 4. Served in a tulip.

Pours a moderate brown color with a single-finger white head that doesn't stick around very long and does not leave behind much other than a few spots of lacing. The nose is comprised mostly of sweet malt along with a bit of caramel. Some hops in the background. Something quite odd about it. This continues into the taste, which is a bit too sweet without much of anything other than mild hops to carry it through. Body is light with moderate carbonation. Butter starts to come through as it warms. Probably not something I'd drink again, but who doesn't love a good canned beer?

2.66/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A Munich Dunkel in a can?? If I were back in Germany they'd be slapping me right now... anyway.. here it goes..

Pours sort of a food coloring-y brown with a decent head that sticks and little visible carbonation. Sort of looks like maple syrup. The first thing I notice is that the mouthfeel is oily and weak. Aroma and taste are just straight up bland as hell. I really am not getting any flavors in any direction. This could be the most neutral beer ever. Hmm that's really all there is to say. It doesn't taste bad, but it also doesn't taste like anything. Wow, it comes in a can. That's about all this beer does for me. I'll save the $1.70 extra per can and buy Miller High Life. Sorry boys.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

2.82/5  rDev -21.4%

12 oz can poured into Sam Adams special glass.

Appearance: Clear, medium brown color with a thick, airy light caramel-colored head.

Smell: Light malty aroma with a very slight hint of citrus...a bit odd.

Taste: There is a definite surness that I wasn't expecting. I don't think it's supposed to be there. I taste a slight bitter finish, but the citrus character is overpowering any other tastes along the way.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thinner than I expected from this style. Carbonation about right.

Drinkability: Sourness makes this hard to drink, especially since it's unexpected.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours an average looking slightly hazed copper with a smallish head that disappears almost immediately, leaving nary a trace of itself on the glass.

The aroma is primarily malt: Somewhat sweet (caramel), somewhat nutty, and somewhat roasted, but overall everything is rather faint and nondescript.

The flavour was more of the same, and unfortunately with the same level of bravado. The caramel sweetness, nut flavour and touch of roasted malt blend together well in a nice, simple fashion, but it's just too simple and too lacking overall. Any flavour just gets lost in translation in a sea of blandness. It's not bad, just very underwhelming. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a bit too watery and airy for what I was expecting.

I was disappointed with this one. I really dig some of the Sly Fox bombers...a lot. I've been less than impressed with the canned products thus far. I thought it was the simple fact of canned beer at first but I've had a few winners packaged in cans in recent months. Unfortunately, this one was by far my least favourite of the seven or eight craft brews I've sampled from a can. In the end, it's far from awful and fairly average in most aspects, but I can't recommend it.

A: pours dark nut brown color with about 50% clarity. visible carbonation but minimal. head is rich, creamy and almost Guinness like. No real lacing so to speak.

S: smells of brown sugar, malt, pils grains.

T: Initially it tastes a bit chemically, like if you could taste the smell of burnt plastic. it does smooth out slightly leading way to a sweeter grainier taste with a slight hop bitterness, but mostly it's just got this unusual plasticy flavor.

M: despite the unusual taste, this doesn't FEEL half bad in your mouth. It's creamy, nicely carbonated and light-medium bodied.

D: This is the first dunkel lager I've tried, but I have to hope there are better examples of the style out there. This just seems completely mediocre.

3.01/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A-transparent brown body with white head and lacing
S-very malty and dark. Just like I would expect from a dunkel
T-a lot lighter than I expected. Decent maltinessbut not much else taste. Maybe corn?
M-light bodied and smooth
D-very drinakble just like a nice german dunkel

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

A - brownish amber with a huge billowy white head.
S - sweet caramel malts and a touch of hop.
T - similar to the aroma but more of an emphasis on the sweet flavors.
M - light to medium bodied, heavily carbonated, smooth and sweet residuals
D - Easy and approachable if not a touch sweet

I had this with a salad. It was complimentary, nice but sweet. I am glad to have tried it but couldn't imagine this being a session beer.

Dunkel Lager from Sly Fox Brewing Company