Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Phoenix Pale Ale | Sly Fox Brewing Company

Phoenix Pale AlePhoenix Pale Ale
3.7/5
Good
Phoenix Pale AlePhoenix Pale Ale

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
slyfoxbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A bold American Pale Ale brewed with Pale and Crystal malts and hopped with Centennial and Cascade hops from the Pacific Northwest. Copper in color, medium-bodied and spicy.

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-13-2002

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Surprisingly my favorite beer there as I am not much of a Pale Ale fan most of the time. Poured a rich amber in color with a white lacy head that followed the beer down the glass. Head retention was quite good. Sweet malt and fruity, citrus dominate the nose. Not surprisingly, these aromas continue in the mouth. Sweet malt was a little more pronounced in flavor than aroma, but was well balanced by a nice hop bitterness and citrusy flavors. Overall a pretty good brew that I ended up going home with in a growler.

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received from Dino in our most recent trade! Poured from can to pint glass the beer arrives a murky ruby mahogany with a nice 2 finger white head, nice retention though not a lot of lacing. A nice crisp fruity nose with citrus, pear, apples and dark fruit character. Unique and nice. Mild caramel malt hint. The flavor is very much the same. The hops provide a nice fruity character as found in the nose with again a nice base caramel. Finishes crisp with a lingering mild bitter fruity sweetness. Lighter end of medium bodied. Overall, this is really enjoyable. Would gladly reach for another if I could!

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Got this as part of a 2 dollar deal at a local bar.

The pour was great slight dark amber color with a head that faded quickly but left some nice thin lacing.

I would drink this again on the price alone but the taste was great! For a 2 dollar beer most wouldnt expect the quality in the product but it was there!

Thick taste bonded with crisp citrus hoppiness that blended into a sweet taste that finished slightly dry.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

Craft beer in a can? Wha?

I was skeptical at first, but it only took one sip to let my guard down.

It pours a lightly carbonated amber with a big frothy head that dissipates into a thin blanket, with good lacing.

The smell is of those characteristic american citrusy, spicy hops, and a faint malty background.

The taste is great. I can only imagine how this beer would be out of a bottle, but I can't see it having the same fresh-hop flavor and aroma. It's 40 IBUs go a long way, with just enough malt to keep it even keeled.

The mouthfeel is slick and smooth, which leads to its incredible drinkability.

I have to say that this is the best APA I've had in a while. It would be unfair to compare it to a cask conditioned version, but I think this beer would hold its own.

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very clear with amber colored tones. The head was a perfect big fluffy two fingers that slowly receded to a nice foamy covering. The foam produced some of the best lacing I've seen. I was shocked that a beer that looked this good could come from a can. I have totally changed my opinion of beer from a can.
Smell: Pale malts and and a clean hop aroma. Some citrus hints were barely noticeable.
Taste: The hops were much more flavorful than my nose had detected. The aftertaste had a mild grassy flavor and just slightly bitter, but oh so good. There was also more citrus and orange flavor than my nose had detected. The pale malts were nicely balanced with the hops.
Mouthfeel: Crispy with a light to medium mouthfeel.
Drinkability: A good beer at an affordable price. Oh yeah, I can see drinking this beer again.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer came a dark honey brown with a big dimpled white head.

Smelled of soapy hops and fresh cut grass with only the slightest bit of caramel beneath it.

The only thing that I’ve ever tasted that was more hoppy that this beer is actual dry hop flowers. Wow. Tastes like dirty, garden fresh and earthy hops with a huge vegetable matter and orange-rind hoppiness to it that blew my mind. This was supported by a slight honey and bread malt that was far off in the background compared to this hop onslaught.

The mouth feel was light bodied with lots of medium bubbles that seem to agitate the fantastic fresh hops.

This was like drinking a big hop salad. I must say, I was impressed that this beer could be so flavorful with out being overly dry. This is absolutely mandatory if you dig hops.

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%

This is a great pale ale. Poured from 12 oz. Can into a pint glass

A - cloudy mahogany color, with a meaty head. Small bit of lacing.

S - fruity, a sweet pear nectar scent, also a bit of raisiny plum.

T - as it smells, mild but present in hops. Citrusy. Not boozy or offensive, a plethora a fruits that mildly linger on the pallette.

M - as a pale ale should be. Slightly carbonated, hits a range of areas on the palette.

D - very drinkable, my favorite pale I've tried yet. The hops hang around in your throat for a while, but I would slug numerous amounts of this beer any day.

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A light amber colored ale, it is dead clear with a nice brightness and shiny hue. Has what might be described as between a rocky and frothy head. Beautiful color and clarity.

Smell is arborous, musty, with hints of grapefruit and lemon. Small caramel base of malt once it opens. Overall, a bit faint on the nose but well done.

Full-flavored, yes! Just a crisp and lovely pale ale replete of hop flavor as grapefruit, lemon, and floral flavors balance each other. Hop oils wash around the rough, woody body that has some caramel and roast malt underneath the lupulin deluge. Opens to show the same sense of dry chocolate oil as Sierra Nevada Celebration. Full-bodied for an ordinary pale - cheers to the hops!

This beer has the full array of fresh hop brashness found in a Sierra Nevada Celebration or Pale Ale. If you look at O'Reillys recipe you'll notice that it is, in fact, eerily similar to Sierra's recipes. Regardless, not a mere rip-off, it seems more full bodied and flavored with not too much bitterness. The definition of solid and drinkable, I was fiending for more once the growler was empty - the hops will do that to ya.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

Make no mistake, I really love this beer. It is without a doubt my "Bud". As in, it is my go to beer when I feel like "just" having a beer. I find this beer scratches all of the itches I usually have for a beer.

A-Clear copper with a fluffy medium light tan head that reduces and leaves significant lacing.

S-Sharp, crisp hops with a nice malt sweetness.

T-Up front hopiness with a nice supportive malty sweetness...but not too much. I love the sharp, crisp flavour. Plenty of hops to make even a hophead like me happy.

M-medium-light body with a nice crispness. This is the perfect hot, lazy summer day beer for me.

D-All day...at 5% and that wonderful light, crsip feel I can simply pound....I ALWAYS have a supply of Sly Fox PPA on hand...it is my go to!

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer poured a hazy copper with hints of orange with a small off white head. The smell was pretty good; crisp fruity hops like an apple with a hint of malt sweetness. I was expecting the same in the taste but it was a nice bitter woody hop bite on top of toasty malt, very good. The mouthfeel was medium with very active carbonation that seems to accentuate the bitterness. I like this better than the Pikeland Pils in the can, and I would put it in the top five of the APA's I've had.

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is deep amber, therefore a bit darker than most other pale ales, with a rocky white head. Aroma is fairly mild, a little maltiness. Carbonation is at a good level, not over fizzy. The taste is well-balanced, quite malty on the palate with a faint underlying sweetness. Easy to drink, though fuller-bodied than some other beers of this style. A little more bitterness comes through at the finish.

Another good canned craft beer from Sly Fox.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Just picked up a case of this and the Pikeland Pils at the BeerYard the other day. Very nice packaging, almost looks like a can of an energy that you could get away with drinking at work but I would not try that. The beer poured a nice dark gold color with a bit of a white head, fluffy. The smell is of strong floral hops with a bit of malty backbone in there. The taste is a very rich hoppy mix with malts that is very enjoyable. I can see these cans becoming very popular based on the very good beer inside and the great use of a can.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Dark clear mahogany with one-finger head that falls to nill quickly. Much more darker than I'd expect for a Pale Ale. A stream of carbonation streams up from the center of the glass leaving a ring of foam in the middle. Lacing resides on the glass as I swirl. Light smell of flowery hops in the nose. Hops up front hitting the sides of my tounge finishing with sweet malty notes to balance out the brew. Mouthfeel is clean with some hoppy residue coating my mouth.
I almost forgot this is from a can! Very drinkable for a brew out of a can. These will pack easily on the next camping trip to House Rock.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Craft beer in a can? Yeah, and this was my first one.

Pours out to a bright copper color in the glass with a decent-sized head. The aroma is that of grapefruit and pine and reminded me quite a bit of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on the nose. The taste is superb, with hops tingly the palate and a solid malt backbone. Finishes easy and begs for another one.

Again I say, "Craft beer in a can?"

And I repy with a resounding "YES!"

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured reddish amber-gold, with a nice off-white head. Great piney hop aroma for a pale ale, with definite grapefruit as well.

Taste is excellent, truly one of the best canned beers. Malty and biscuity at first, with a bitter grapefruity aftertaste. Bitterness lasted a while. Mouthfeel was light-medium and carbonation was medium-low, nearly perfect. Easy to drink as well. A very good example of the pale ale style, perhaps even bordering on the IPA, when compared with what some breweries call IPAs. I'd have this one anytime. Did I mention how much I love canned beer?

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

First off I think the can is really cool! The artwork is very well done. I got the can from a friend (thanks Dave) and poured it into a nice clean pint glass. The beer poured slightly hazy with a white head that lasted well. The glass laced throughout the session and the mouthfeel was typical for the style. Hop aroma was very good with sweet flowery notes. I really enjoyed the beer and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good IPA. I only had one, but would have had a few more if I had them. Man the can was cool.

4.19/5  rDev +13.2%