Christmas Ale | Sly Fox Brewing Company

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
slyfoxbeer.com

Style: Winter Warmer

This malty, full-bodied red ale is made with traditional mulling spices: Ginger, Clove, All Spice, Cinnamon & Nutmeg. If this one doesn't get you into the Christmas spirit, you truly are a Scrooge.

Bottled: 16.0 OG | 16 IBUs | 6.5% ABV

Canned: 14.0 OG | 16 IBUs | 5.5% ABV

Added by NeroFiddled on 11-24-2002

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

2014 Version - Poured from a can into a pint glass.
A: Reddish copper color - the color is nice. Small head, some lacing.
S: Obviously a lot going on here given the style. It's just various spices you would use in Christmas baking - cinnamon, ginger, etc. I think the strongest smell is ginger.
T: The key to this beer that makes it good is that even though there's tons of, well, adventurous winter flavors, the beer itself is not overwhelmingly sweet. You get hit with the flavors initially, but the after taste is just like a slightly bitter ale. I think this is good, because I don't want a really sweet beer like some are of this style.
M: Good - light carbonation and good slightly bitter aftertaste.
O: If you want a beer in this style that isn't too cloyingly sweet, this is the way to go. Plus the cans are certainly festive !

4.28/5  rDev +14.1%

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

2.92/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I really liked the 2013 version of this beer. I picked up a six pack of cans of the 2014 version. I'm hoping that maybe I just got unlucky as it was not very good. Kind of tasted like Budweiser with a hint of cinnamon.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Picked up the 2014 version of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's in Drexel Hill. Let's see how this brew goes on Thanksgiving eve.

Appearance: Pours a copper brown, deep red. Leaves behind a quite impressive head that is about an inch thick after pouring and dissipates kind of slowly as the brew goes down and leaves a decent lacing on the way down.

Smell: Upon first sniff, the aroma gives off cinnamon, some light allspice and some light biscut-like aroma. Further inspection of the aroma, I get more cinnamon and very light nutmeg-like and other gentle spices. Very little gingerbread aroma. Not too bad. Nice and somewhat balanced.

Taste: Upon first sips, I can detect some light allspice, also some light biscut-like flavors. Second and third sips, I can detect the nutmeg and cinnamon which isn't too bad and smooth and come creamy flavors. Sweeter caramel and some toffee flavors also comes through as the brew goes down.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Goes well down the slower you go. Not too bad aftertaste, not very dry at all.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was glad I grabbed it since I missed last year's version. Not too bad upon first pour and inspection. Smell and taste matches up pretty consistent and go well and well-balanced. I was quite satisfied with this brew, but the flavor was a bit overpowering. I would maybe try again maybe on a colder night. I would recommend to a friend. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +12%