Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saison VOS | Sly Fox Brewing Company

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
slyfoxbeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

A Belgian style Saison (or Farmhouse Ale) brewed with German Pils malt and hopped with East Kent Goldings. Fermented with a special proprietary yeast which imparts its dry, spicy character. Golden orange in color.

Added by Todd on 12-01-2002

2.61/5  rDev -32.9%

750ml brown bottle, no date information, but it is from 2006. The cork releases with a light 'pfft'.

Clear honey gold. Towering pillowy bright white head of loosely piled medium sized bubbles. Roiling pillar of medium bubbled carbonation that looks just like a bubble wall. The head just sticks and sticks, but as it settles it deposits clumps and bands of big bubbled lace. Aromas are of faint orange peel, cloves, lemon rind, bits of black pepper and some bright yeastiness. Add a dose of wet dog as it warms. Sticky sweet candied orange and lemon peel are tumbled around by fizzy soda-like carbonation. Stinging carbonation pounds a lemon pepper graininess into the tongue and down the throat. As this warms, a bit of a medicinal/rubbing alcohol flavor comes through as well as a thick, sticky sweetness and mouthfeel. There is simply no grace or subtlety here. Medium bodied, but excessively carbonated that over inflates the mouth. I couldn't finish the bottle.

Thanks to ggaughan for the opportunity.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%

I bought this because I have of late become interested in this style, because as Randy Mosher puts it, this style "is as close to homebrew as a commercial product can get." Before this, I had only tried Yards Saison, which apparently isn't the best example but was nonetheless a good introduction. As I type, I have a batch of homebrewed Saison fermenting in the next room.

Saison VOS comes in a very big La Fin du Mondish 750mL bottle, corked, no freshness information whatsoever. There was no dust on the bottle when I purchased it, so I figured I was good.

With a pop of the cork, it pours a cloudy gold color with a fizzy white head that doesn't go away as fast as you'd think. There's a lot of carbonation going on here.

I really took my time with this bottle, so I was sniffing it a lot as it warmed up. Coming right out of the fridge it smells very medicinal, almost too much, and there's a major farmhouse character, i.e. it's funky/pungent like gorgonzola or bleu cheese. Over time the aroma mellows out.

All the way through, the palate is consistently like perfume. It's a combination of the aforementioned farmhouse features and what I'm assuming are the usual Saison spices, coriander and bitter orange peel. It's almost too much, in my opinion. "Perfume vapors" linger in the aftertaste. As it warms, sweetness and stickiness become apparent. Any hop bitterness is being masked by something else because I am not picking it up.

There's no ABV statement on the bottle, but here on the site they say it's 6.9%... that sounds about right. To me this doesn't make it a traditional Saison, one that was made for summer refreshment. I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin'. Despite this, it's light-medium bodied, and has a champagne-like dryness.

In the end, the only thing I'm thinking about is that there might be too much of something at play here. It's too perfumey for me, too medicinal. It's a noble attempt, but they have to tone something down here.

Bottles 5 days out of code but let's see how it tastes anyway.

Very pale semi hazy yellow color with tons of visible effervescence. Bright white crystal like head. Funky barnyard smells, a touch of skunk. Medicinal phenols become present as the beer airs out.

Extremely vinous in its qualities. Bright and brisk carbonation is still there. Sour white grapes slide across the tongue, subtle tart citric explosion at mid palate. Coarse grain balance the fruitiness. Nutty like flavors compliment the other flavors in the beer. Full mouth feel.

Very in your face for an aged saison, makes me wonder what its like fresh. If it isn't good lay it down and forget about, makes for a pretty interesting drink. I wouldn't go about doing it myself though, just found it in the store that way.

Again, I wouldnt go out of my way to age this thing past the best by date, but it was still decent even past it. I'm clueless to how it tastes fresh however.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

Reviewed 6/9/13 750 ML bottle in a tulip

A - Pours a clear gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Leaves little to no lacing.

S - Not a ton going on in the aroma. Getting some grain and a bit of lemon and citrus. As the beer warms I start to get some pepper and clove.

T - Very clean tasting for a Saison. Slightly sweet, a bit of lemon in the middle finishes with some earthy hop and low bitterness. Pretty dry, hints of pepper and other spices.

M - Light body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink.

O - A decent but overall underwhelming Saison.

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%