Route 113 I.P.A. | Sly Fox Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Route 113 I.P.A.Route 113 I.P.A.

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
slyfoxbeer.com

Style: American IPA

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

Added by NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled and possibly bottle conditioned
Pours a golden body with decent enough white head
Big citra aroma
Nice citrus and pineapple cubes flavour
Decent body

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

4.92/5  rDev +34.4%

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color. The head is about a finger high with a heavy cream shade. The texture is a bit rough-looking, even for the style. Retention is okay at best. Webs of lacing are left all the way down the glass.

S: The aroma here is pure old-school IPA - which means lots of crystal malt and lots of floral, herbaceous hops. It's malty, sure (and the kind of malts I don't like in IPAs), but I'll still give credit for how well the hops come through. I'd enjoy more citrus or tropical notes, but whatever. It's decent for what it is...keep in mind that I significantly prefer more modern IPAs.

T: Flavor-wise, it's what I kind of expected. The malts are very prevalent to start - loads of toffee and caramel.There are even a welcome kiss of esters floating around. It's hop profile is mainly floral, piny bitterness lacking in hop flavor. Ironically, the huge amount of crystal malt does actually balance the (rather significant) bitterness - still, I can buy this having 113 IBUs. I still think it's too reliant on malt sweetness to give it flavor instead of the hops, but it's alright. Regardless, there's WAY TOO MUCH crystal malt here!

M: Starts off crisp, dry finishing, and easy to drink...then the maltiness takes over. Then the malts dominate. It doesn't *taste* sweet, but wow does it feel sweet. Drinkability is moderate for the style. Carbonation is on the low side - dare I say it feels a bit lifeless?

O: Another day, another IPA. This one is pretty plainly midpack - there are some nice qualities, but nothing here helps it stand out among the superior examples. If you like bitterness, this is a rock-solid choice. If you like crystal malts, you'll love it. Me? I'll stick with IPAs more to my personal tastes.

3.2/5: Too old-school to be great in my mind