Route 113 I.P.A. | Sly Fox Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Route 113 I.P.A.Route 113 I.P.A.

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

Added by NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003

Reviews: 336 | Ratings: 832
3.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light amber in color this beer builds a very impressive beige head that after some time subsides to a consistent cover (about 1/4" think and clinging to the sides of the glass). Aroma is very nice. Reminded me why I enjoy IPAs so much. Wonderfully bitter hops jump at you from the malty spring-board. Pine dominates the aroma, sweet maltiness is in the background. Unfortunately, hoppy bitterness jumping out at you when it comes to taste is not that great. This is in-your-face, hoppy, bitter beer that doesn't play games. It seems to be a bit too sweet for an American IPA.

This beer is highly enjoyable. It doesn't wow me, but I'll be happy to share it with a friend and pick it up if I am in Sly Fox's neighborhood. I also want to add that the label design is absolutely killer. Nice to see Sly Fox put some thought into this. I have picked up this 22 oz. bottle at the Phoenixville, PA location (which is worth a visit).

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours with a vicious craggy cratered vanilla 2 inch head cap atop a well filtered polished copper hue with a few rising bubbles. Killer foamy frothy head cap that just wont quit. Yee-haw!

Aroma is a stark piney bright hops with a crisp honey and grassy compliment. Robust deep vanilla meets pine sap.

First swigs: Woody pine aspects meet well with a slight tea like malt balance but the full front is hop woody. Enjoyable blend of tea aspects and dry white grapefruit slices.

Feel is medium bodied and clean as all get out. Quite drinkable and solid. Too bad that finding this is getting too rare as its popularity increases. Make more!

Last swigs: Could I drink these all night? Ummm..yup! Gimmie more!

Beer is good. Happy good beering.

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%

After a slow pour, including many pauses to allow the billowing head to settle, I'm rewarded with a very hazy dark orange body topped with said billowing dark beige head. It's like sea foam. When I finished the beer, there was still head left.

The aroma is light and citrusy, not overly powerful.

It's so delightfully bitter. You'll probably notice that immediately and throughout the profile. I keep trying to pick up other elements to the flavor but it's hard. There is a balance trying to assert itself, but I can't identify anyting.

I'd say medium mouthfeel, not too thick or thin, you'd get a quality beer experience here.

It's pretty drinkable if you like bitterness. I finished off a 22 oz. bomber and was feeling an "increased confidence" if you know what I mean.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Hazy orange copper body, still, with a highly frothed dentable white whip cream head.

Nicely citric nose of grapefruits, oranges, and a bit of apricots.

Good malty foot in the door, this will not be a one note hop juice. Hops do arrive, but less citric and more earthy, than the nose suggested. Arrival is more subtle than a typical west coast hop snap too. Definitely a swerve here that includes IPA's British origins. Taste grows on you with each swallow, instead of a first sip knock out.

Nice medium moutheel.

Good drinkability, Bomber dives toward the wastebasket quickly.

Sly Fox's first out of state release, and a fine beer to start.

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber with no freshness date.

A- Hazed orange amber color, awesome head ... the retention shows lots of stickage with each sip. Most of the haze is probably from the big addition of hops.

S- Creamsicle hop aroma with a earthy herbal back, malty with mild caramel and suggestions of white chocolate.

T&M- Super creamy mouth feel off of a full body, oil hop all over the taste buds. Toasty maltiness gets pushed back by a well rounded hop character that hold a slowly growing pungent bitterness ... not overwhelming but it certainly says AIPA.

D- Not half bad, its a tough style to compete with ... there are so many IPAs out now. This one sits in the middle of the pack IMO, certainly worth a try. Paired well with goat cheese stuffed turkey breast with sherry braised Brussels sprouts.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spotted a few bottles of Sly Fox brews at a store I stopped by in New Jersey and since I hadn't tried any of their beers before, I bought a few different bottles including the Route 113 IPA.

Poured a clear, orange-rust color with a big, frothy head that was colored white and highly carbonated. Heavy lacing was left behind all over my pint glass. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, cheese-filled pasta, and oranges. A hoppy taste with a sour, but rich malty finish. The malt flavor was somewhat wheat-like with a bit of dark and bittersweet tones. Easy to drink with its texture and flavorful construct. Some smoked flavors appear at the end of the session with very subtle sweetened milk flavor; very interesting.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

22 oz bomber. Pours a nice ambered golden color with a finger of off-white head that falls to a full coat over top of the brew. The brew is fairly clear, but there is no detectable carbonation bubbling up. Aroma is nice and solid. Excellent combination of caramel and breadyness with a sweet grapefruity hop melding really well with it. This one seems a little dominated with the maltyness, though its nota bad thing. I like it. Flavor is focused on the malt and the bitterness. Hop flavor is not really playing a large role to me. There is a very nice caramel and malanoidan character, this moves to a modest sweet orangey and grapefruity hop, moving to a peppery bitterness, that turns solidly bitter on the finish. I think the flavor is better than the aroma would lead me to believe. Feel is on the thicker end of moderate with a moderate carbonation. This one has a nice solid feel to it. This is a nice IPA. No alcohol present anywhwere. I am starting to feel a little warming in my ears from this one. The bitterness on the finish is a touch sharp, but not offensive. Good beer.

22oz bottle from BeerBeing as part of UTBIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/4" tan head above the clear orangey copper brew. Frothy head fades slowly, with sticky lacing prevalent. Aroma is citrusy hops with a light grain undertone. Taste starts with a slender malt profile, quickly giving way to lots of hop character, more pine than citrus, which lasts on and on, and lingers on the tongue. Mouthfeel and drinkability are working nicely, and I could see this one revisited.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Served a clear deep amber colored beer with moderate white puffy head. Smell is domianted by pine, citrus and fresh cut grassiness. Taste is also strong on hops with enough malt to provide a good balance. Finishes on the dry side with the malt mainly supressed. An extremely enjoyable beer with too easy drinkability for a 7% beer.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Bomber bottle from BeerBeing from BIF25**

Apearance: Hazy dark copper, nice looking solid head.

Smell: Nice fruity, juicy hops, citric, with a touch of carmel sweetness.

Taste: The malt tasets a little off, maybe grassy? Tastes a little like a super hop euro lager the way the malt is exposed. Slightly metallic. Not bad, but skind of off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Crisply carbonated, but metallic also.

Drinkablity: Not the best IPA I have ever had, but the hop profile is quite nice, just a little different for the style.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to zrrbrrt for this 22 oz. bomber from Slyfox.

A: Pours a copper color with a frothy one and a half finger cream colored head that leaves puffy lace.
S: Aromas of sweet fruit hops, possibly grapefruit with an earthy malt that kicks in with a huge sniff. Possibly caramel malts?
T: Nice hop burst up front followed by heavy bready, woody, and slight smokey notes. Bitter ending that leaves your mouth slighty dry, but happy. Malt is more pronounced than I thought it was going to be, but definately welcomed.
M & D: Mouthfeel is smooth as this goes down the gullet fast. Coats the side of the mouth with a light velvety feel. Nice bitter bite on the roof of the mouth and tip of the tongue that lingers for awhile. Drinkability is high, though having a bunch of these would be a mistake as the abv is undetected. Get me some more offering from Sly Fox. Good Ipa.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

The appearance is a slightly murky but beautifully carbonated beer, the color of apple cider with moderate lacing.
There are a lot of hops in the aroma, mostly though its cardboard and paper bag.
There is some malty sweetness present but it is seriously dominated by a heavy bitterness. A tannic, husky bit of astringency that lingers for some time in the finish.
Plenty of body.
OK... The drinkability on this is alright, but not great. I would like to know if this is flawed by age and possibly a better beer fresh, but alas... no dating I can find on the bottle or label.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

now available in jersey... found @ oak tree buy rite, south plainfield (I might as well live there or collect a pay check...)

eyes...
immediately looked nice, not all beers do that, especially lately as I have run into some clunkers... but I digress...
2 full fingers of fluffy white medium bubbled head rise up and stick around for awhile to strike up a conversation with your eyes. As they recede like that last drunk dude on the couch at a party they leave behind a sticky film (also like that last drunk dude did on your sofa...), so what I am trying to say in plain english is that this has great head, retention and stickiness in the lacing department. hell, I didn't even get ot the color yet... kind of a blush reddish brown, clean and consistent in the glass, ample carbonation rushes up from the bottom... damn good looking IPA.

nose...
fresh soapy hop smell right up front, not killer in your face but strong none the less, underneath is a blanket of caramel malt sweetness accented by hints of pine, this smells as refreshing as rain on a summer day cooling off the pavement... extremely fresh smelling (no bottle on date.. goddamnit.. but I know this is new product here, still no bottle date pisses me off). incidentally this beer has been sitting about 10 minutes now and STILL is not down to no head... nice!
the smell is good and really inviting, not the best IPA I have ever smelled but really clean and all around balanced with a nice twinge of hops.

taste etc...
bitterness... for a second it seems like it may be too much, almost chemical but the malts are fighting back to try to bring this into balance. the mouthfeel is just above average, I am finding the carbonation to be a little too much here (a bit distracting). the hops taste "brown" whatever that means.. somehow it tastes like over hopped brown ale with a really lingering bitter finish that almost tastes artificial. The ABV doesn't rear it's head here which can be good or bad, depending on if you have to drive somewhere. later on down the bottle the malts have balanced this out a bit more, and I am getting a slight citrus note in the finish before the bitter chemical flavor kicks back in. this finishes rather dry on both the lips and mouth which does make you reach for another trip... I feel this one sort of misses the mark for me personally as far as AIPAs go.

verdict?
I might revisit this to see if the hop bitterness is just off in this particular bottle (the flavor is distracting, and I usually love crazy bitter stuff), I know it's fresh but I will give it another shot.. it is like a "just miss" for me..

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Sly Fox in NJ?? Awesome

22 ounce bomber bottle poured into a 20 ounce nonic pint glass.

A - A beautiful red tinted amber color with a very dense thick head that's a nearly pure white. A translucent beer with some lively bubbles feeding the head, which doesn't appear to be going anywhere. The head looks pretty sticky as well.

S - Some nice hops int he aroma, mainly a bit of citrus. Not a huge hop profile though, somewhat subdued as well as a rosted smell (interesting).

T - Very interesting as a very bitter beer initially leads to a strange toasted malt finish. A good flavor with a ton of hop goodness for any hopheads but hard to pick out individual flavors. Stilla nice hoppy IPA overall.

M - Goes down smooth and easy, with the roastiness balancing out the bitterness.

D - For such a bit aggresively hopped beer, this drinks extremely easily. At 7 ABV it's by no means a session beer but as far a session ale that goes down easy this one scores. A nice drinkable, megahopped IPA.

Notes: Def not my favorite of the style but when I want something of a hop bomb without the Super hop smackdown of a Ruination or the 9% ABV of a DFH 90 min I might reach for this.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Radiant rustic orange with hint of a reddish bronze blush. I don't know if the beer is filtered, but there's nothing to disturb the absolute pure clarity of the liquid other than the occasional slowly rising bubble. The orangish ecru crown was milkshake creamy immediately after the pour and is now a hugely rocky, high altitude mesa squatting atop the beer. A little more lace would be nice (much more eventually arrives), but the cap is magnificent.

The nose is wonderfully hoppy and is a pleasure to inhale. If only it were more aromatic and more vibrant, it could proudly stand beside some of the best IPAs. The hop bill was extremely well-chosen: American Cascade, Centennial and Simcoe; German Northern Brewer; English East Kent Goldings.

Even without knowing the malt bill (pale and crystal), I could have determined that the second of those two was present. Crystal malt (also known as caramel malt) lends a distinctive caramel flavor to the proceedings that permeates every mouthful and gets in the way of my hop enjoyment. There's still enough hop flavor and bitterness to go around, and I like the beer just fine as is, but I prefer not to have my Centennial, Simcoe, et al, sullied by a sticky caramel coating.

As I enter the middle third of the bottle, I'm more impressed by bitterness and less impressed by hop flavor. This is as valid an IPA recipe as any other, but I'd love for Sly Fox to jettison the crystal malt to see what these hops could do if they were able to break free of their gooey, sticky caramel shackles. The finish is long, bittersweet, increasingly resinous and ultimately lip smackingly dry.

There's nothing at all wrong with the mouthfeel. That tells me, almost more than any other characteristic, that these guys know what they're doing. It's neither thin nor heavy and serves the beer well. The carbonation (lively without being intrusive) is also enjoyable.

I had no idea what to expect from Route 113 India Pale Ale, never having heard of Sly Fox before. I have to say that, overall, I'm impressed. My idea of an outstanding IPA doesn't quite jibe with their idea of an outstanding IPA, but this is still tasty beer. I look forward to drinking more of what Sly Fox has to offer.

4.21/5  rDev +15%

This beer came a vibrant amber and orange with a thick, slightly yellow tan head that left some wonderful lacing.

Smelled of light apple juice sweetness with a big cedar and nectarine hop character that really caught my attention. There was also a little smoky dryness floating around the nose as well.

The flavor was dominated by hops with a light ambiguous sour fruit coupled with a huge woody pine. Later, this faded into a under ripe pineapple and grapefruit dryness with a pleasant lingering (non-metallic thankfully) dryness.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with an invigorating carbonation that lightened the dry hop character.

Over all, this beer was beautiful, tasty and easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this one in a growler a while back and had to score a bottle of this one...thanks to BeerBeing for sending this my way.
Rust color with two full fingers of eggshell white head...most sticks around and what fades, leaves behind some generous lacing.
Pleasant in the nose with a nice blend of floral and citrus hops, spice, and enough malt to offer up a mild sweetness.
Flavor is more of the same as above, but the hop bitterness overshadows the hint of sweet this one is displaying in the flavor.
I like the addition of the spice, while this is no "spiced" beer, it finishes with a bite and washes away clean after each swig.
The mouthfeel is slightly above average and the carbonation is where I like to see an IPA.
I'll have to see how I scored this one from the growler, but Sly Fox has done an exceptional job to bottle this winner without any flaws.
A great session beer for me...will need to score a few more the next time I visit PA.

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a tall billowy head. Aroma is toasty malt and a ton of hops, fresh and citrusy.

Taste is a good toasted malt base with a blanket of sweet hops laid on top. Nice bitter bite at the back of the throat but mostly mild, juicy, citrus hops up front. Nice balance, I like that grassy sweet element.

Mouthfeel is medium, leaves the palate very clean. Not what I would call a hop-bomb but that leaves it quite drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%

22 ounce bottle. Sly Fox IPA pours out a mostly clear amber color with a big, creamy head. The aroma is wood and piney hops, although the hops aren't particularly strong. Biscuit malt flavor with caramel. Piney hops come in, but they don't taste as fresh as they should. Some herbal hops too. This isn't a bad ipa, but I find the hop flavor very odd. Bitter in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium. Decent drinkability. Just ok.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Caramel/bronze colour with a short, off-white head. Great retention and lots of lace, with rings around the glass indicating the size of each sip. Intense orange/grapefruit aroma - I could smell the hops as the glass was set on my table. The malt smell was almost completely overpowered by the hops, but a bit of toastiness came through. Solid malt sweetness hits the palate first followed quickly by orange hop flavour. Bitterness is strong without passing over to the aggressive side. The finish was full of drying hop bitterness and the hop character really lingers. A bit of pine resin showed up as well. Medium body with carbonation on the low side. Powdery hops and fairly dry. A nice balance overall, with just the right amount of bold hop character. Very tasty and it seemed to keep getting better as I kept drinking.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

I was glad to find Sly Fox bottles on the shelves here in NJ so soon after their debut in the state late last month.

Their IPA pours a nice, surprisingly dark (but crisp) amber colour with a chunky, soapy tan head atop the liquid.

The aromas include a nice burst of hops, which are powerful but tame at the same time, along with a general juicy sweetness, a touch of earth and a touch of caramel. There are also notes of grass/pine here and there.

The flavour has a nice malt/hop mix at the start which moves into the malt solely grabbing ahold of the flavour for a brief moment before giving way to a tart then sweet hop flavour at the finish, which is complimented by some pepper and other spices. the mouthfeel here is smooth yet with a carbonation/hop punch that is nice for an IPA.

This is an easy drinking, flavourful brew that is sort of a nice middle ground between (and yes I'm using generalizations here) tame East Coast IPA's and super-hopped West Coast IPA's. I definitely enjoyed this one and can't wait for the Sly Fox cans that are heading this way soon...

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

22 oz bomber from 2005. No mention of ABV on the label.

Clear amber color..a few small pieces of yeast floating around.. Fairly modest, off-white head that leaves scattered lacing. Smell is not overpowering, but fragrant floral hops do make up most of the aroma. The caramel malt body makes this a well-balanced IPA, and it slides down the hatch quite easy. My first chance to try a brew from Sly Fox will definitely not be my last.

Big thanks goes out to froggyfrog for the bottle.

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: My wife bought me a case of this one at our favorite local distributor, In-N-Out. The guys there are very knowledgeable and recommended this one to her and am I glad. This beer poured a beautiful thick frothy two finger head. As I drank the beer it got more impressive with amazing sticky lace. The side of the glass became covered from top to bottom. The color was a very clear orangish amber.
Smell: Grassy hops backed with caramel malt.
Taste: Plenty of grassy hop flavor with just a touch of spice. The hops are domineering, but are balanced well with the sweet malt flavor. Quite good, I'm glad I've got 6 more 22 oz. bottles.
Mouthfeel: Course.
Drinkability: This one went down easy and I'm sure I could easily down another 22 ozer.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

It came to me a crisp, clear coppery amber, rife with carbonation. A finger of soft, off-white head dwindled soon to a smattering ot froth islets. Curly lacing worked the glass.

The aroma wafted an initial air of caramel malt and light berry fruitiness, but they were soon outdone by a hops boquet that was decidedly more floral, with minor elements of pine and citrus.

Upon sipping, the toasted malt caramel note mingled with a light fruity sweetness. The drying commenced quickly, with grapefruit and pine this time overtaking the floral impression of the hops. Alcohol was very mild, though present, and went another step toward trying the whole. The finish was a natural progression of the flavor, fading but lingering as a dry, nicely bittered memory. It's considerably well-balanced, a nice treat for the palate.

Medium bodied, it had a creamy feel on the palate that had just a nick of resin feel, enough to glow on the tongue.

It's not a beer to knock your socks off, maybe, but when you're done, you realize just how much you enjoyed drinking it. It's a balanced, bittersweet concoction that will leave a warm glow. And in spite of a somewhat high ABV that does peek out a bit, it's well worth drinking each one, letting it slide down in a fiesta of flavor-savoring. There are many, many beers I would pass up in order to have this one again. That's saying something.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

I have been on BA for a while but here is my first review. I snagged a case of the 113 22-ounce bottles to see how it tastes compared to 113 that I have had on tap (which I enjoy).

I was very pleased with how it has held up compared to on-draft. The smell and taste are hoppy and smooth. It is extremely drinkable which means it won't last long in my household with myself and a few other BA's lurking about. I got this at the BeerYard for $37.50 a case which makes it a great bargain at that price IMO. I am a huge IPA fan & this beer at that price will make it a mainstay in my household.

Cheers!