Route 113 I.P.A. | Sly Fox Brewing Company

Read the review
Route 113 I.P.A.Route 113 I.P.A.

Sly Fox Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American IPA

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

Added by NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003

firstprev| 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next → last
Reviews: 337 | Ratings: 836
4.1/5  rDev +12%

I have been on BA for a while but here is my first review. I snagged a case of the 113 22-ounce bottles to see how it tastes compared to 113 that I have had on tap (which I enjoy).

I was very pleased with how it has held up compared to on-draft. The smell and taste are hoppy and smooth. It is extremely drinkable which means it won't last long in my household with myself and a few other BA's lurking about. I got this at the BeerYard for $37.50 a case which makes it a great bargain at that price IMO. I am a huge IPA fan & this beer at that price will make it a mainstay in my household.

4.48/5  rDev +22.4%

My bottle of Rt 113 IPA poured a crystal clear dark amber.
A fluffy white head with generous bubbles welled up from the beer.
Tenacious lacing clung to the glass walls right to last drop...
Modest fruity citrus nose heralded the hops flavor to come.
Hops galore is the first note of this fine IPA taste. The flavor differentiates into a hops and citrus with a long lasting bitter that sweeps into a clean finish that doesn't quit.

Flavor brokered a bold up front IPA body with a very congenial personality that makes this IPA a beer to request and enjoy over and over..

I like! I like!

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance: clear light amber with orange highlights. Thick 2" fluffy head.

Smell: the nose picked up the hops as the glass was just slid next to me at the bar. As the glass was brought to my nose the citrus and floral hops were very pleasant and up front.

Taste: this was a well balanced IPA, as malt and strong bitterness was joined with grapefruit dancing in background to round it out.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The finish was also very dry and long on the bitterness.

Drinkability: I found this beer to be extremely drinkable, and if you are a hophead, this beer is for you.

This beer poured a crystal clear amber color that had yellow/orange highlights on the edges, and was well carbonated. The head that was produced was a nice pure white color, some what dense but not the great lasting, the smell of hops were very present in the foam and the taste was hoppy as well. There was light lace present on the sides, but quicky slid to the bottom of the glass. The aromas were dominated by the hops, citrus, grapefruit and pine trees were 95% of the nose, there seemed to be some sweet malt present and caramel but soon masked by the fresh hops. The palate was satified with plenty of hops, pine needles, citrus noted hops, and the bite of grapefruits, some sweet malts and caramels did become present as it warmed in the middle and fresh cut grass on the back of the swallow made it crisp and clean. The aftertaste was of course hops, and very pleasing. The body was medium. Over all a nicely hopped beer, the hints of sweetness make it pleasing and I must say it is a well made beer and good example of the style. Just don't drink too much the ABV will get you.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Amazing. I must confess, I went into Sly Fox thinking this was going to be the ONLY brew I was going to drink...

Silly rabbitt...

This IPA presented with a deep and rich golden, almost hazy peach color... hey, I am color-challenged... The aroma filed my sinuses with beautiful hops and a good bit of citrus, but not to a fault. I caught some malt lingering in the bushes, so to speak, and I liked that from this offering... A beautiful rendition of what an IPA should be, and sneaky at that, being 7.3% ABV...

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Rusty gold with a nice head of foam and excellent lacing. The aroma is intense, very fruity, and consists of hops(2 cs[cascades centennials], goldings, and one other I think), some sweet biscuity malts, and a special IPA spiciness that sometimes rears its head. The taste is hoppy as hell in the front, with some strong malty flavors in the middle, and a somewhat sweet, fruity, hopbomb-like finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and to style and the drinkability is very good as well. One of the best brewpub IPAs I have had in a while.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

11/12/04: Straight up, this is a very good beer. I've been on an IPA kick recently, so I've been trying new ones whenever I get a chance. Appearance was copper/orange and smelled of fresh hops. I haven't acquired the knack for identifying certain hops by their aroma, so I'll just say it smelled pretty good. :) Mouthfeel was just right... not watery and not heavy. Hops made themselves known, but weren't overpowering. Even my wife liked this selection, and she doesn't like very hoppy brews. I'd hesitate to call this a double IPA, but look at that abv! Whoa... Not bad! Very drinkable and it went well with my burger. IMHO, this beer is just about on par with Hop Devil.

Went to Sly Fox hoping to find another single-hopped IPA to rave over, but it was not to be. I chose the Rt 113 IPA as a distant second choice. I was pleasantly surprised.

The beer poured a clear copper color with a large, long-lasting head and huge lacing. The hops aroma dominates the nose but is accompanied by a nice citrus smell. This is confirmed by the taste, which is a hop chorus with a few notes of grapefruit and a little sweet fruit that balances the bitter.

It is very cleansing on the palate, medium-bodied and generally quite refreshing. This is a really well-crafted IPA with no big bite so that even some of my bitter-beer hating friends could drink from the growler.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

I got a 1/6 of this on the suggestion of Matt @The Beer Yard. Fantastic brew. This is the last beer from the keg and it's STILL amazing with perfect head and carbonation in the last glass. I could be crazy but the keg over 2 weeks seemed to mellow out and become better with each passing day. Anyway, it poured a deep and clean amber/copper color. The scent was very Hoppy --- strong asertive hops, not light citrus hops from the west coast. This just felt like an East Coast IPA. The taste was smooth and raw at the same time. The only way to describe is earthy and grassy, but clean and crisp as well. There was a nice toasted malt backbone as well and the sweetness was nice but not overbearing. The moutfeel as I stated before was effervescent and lasted until way after the last sip. This was TOO drinkable --- at 7% this puppy sneeks up on you quick. A great brew from a small but noteable brewery. This IPA is up there with some of the great East Coast IPA's (even Hop Devil).

4.32/5  rDev +18%

This one poured a slightly orangish-copper color. A decent bit of a head. There was a good nose of hops. Some hints of both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt backbone to it. The hops are quite well balanced in the taste. My wife, who doesn't like IPA's, liked this one!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Growler on 6/30/03; consumed 7/20/03.

This the second batch of Brian's 113 IPA. It only gets better; especially if you like your hops.

Deep amber, almost copper-color appearance. Head retention moderate with noticable lacking. Citrusty hop aroma dominates. The taste is a grapefruit and piney hop tones. It has a bite, but its not overwhelmingly bitter. There is a hint of malt in the background providing some balance to the overall mouthfeel. A friend and I finished the growler in one sitting and wished we had more of this delicious, 7.3 abv IPA

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer was definantly hopped to the tilt,but the great thing about it was that it had big enough malt backbone to support all the hops.Real nice deep copper color with a sticky head,hop aroma is evident up front for sure but there is a malty sweet tinge in there as well,a real mans beer I believe 8%abv,an awesome brew even for a non-nophead like me.

firstprev| 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next → last