Blacksmith Cutthroat IPA | Blacksmith Brewing

Blacksmith Brewing
Montana, United States
blacksmithbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Copper in color with a huge hop aroma with bitterness throughout. Medium to light malt character. This beer is generously dry hopped for a strong citrus aroma.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-01-2009

Reviews by delalove:
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

A - yellow with a golden hue. Very small head that disappeared quickly. Thin lacing sticks to the glass the whole time.

S - citrus hoppyness. Very good hop aroma.

T - pretty solid IPA. There is a nice hop backbone that is balanced very nicely by a malt.

M - the mouth feel is average.

Overall I will order this beer again. The blacksmith is one of my favorite breweries to visit.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Brenda and I drove about a mile off of the highway to checkout Blacksmith..

It looked locked up tight.. but Brenda said she saw somebody inside.. after some knocking on windows.. a young guy motioned us in.. The front door was open the entire time. It was early, so I couldn't get a taste.. so I went with the brewer's suggestion.. "Cutthroat IPA" for the growler fill.

Cracked it with the Boise Beer Boys... I poured this into my smaller La Trappe glass.

Lite amber with a hoppy haze to it.

Nose is citric with a bit more than wanted toasty maltiness.

Flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma ... more hoppiness and a nice caramel maltiness... but.. there is a bunch of "toasty maltiness" that seems a tad out of place.. The body and carbonation ar pretty much square..

This is a pretty good brew.. but personally I would like to see less specialty malts and a tad less sweetness.... it'll help the hops shine as they should.

Blacksmith is a truly beautiful brewery... I wish we would have settled in there the night before and hung out.... The atmosphere was fantastic.. even when I was alone... Good luck... break a leg.. brew great beer... Etc.. I think this one is a winner.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

08/10/09- On tap at the Brewery.

Presentation- Via the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Mid range golden color. Smaller 1/4 inch head, but leaves some light lace trails behind.

Smell- A bit of toasted malts as well as some light floral hops.

Taste- Not much in the hops dept. Seems like pellets were used rather than the actual hop. A bit of a lemony flavor with a hint of pine with a semi deep toasted malty flavor leading the way.

Mouthfeel- Seems a touch watery with a very light aftertaste of bitter fruit rind. Medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one, but it's sooo damn nice having a brewery less than a mile away from both my Aunt and Uncles house and Grandmother...

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a clear orange color frothy white head with nice lacing down the glass
S: Slight caramel malt with big piney hop scent
T: Slightly fruity maltiness up front with big piney aftertaste
M: Medium bodied beer, carbonation seems pretty good
O: I picked up a growler of this to go, its a good IPA but not great. I enjoyed their porter a lot more.

Blacksmith Cutthroat IPA from Blacksmith Brewing