Eight Point IPA | Devils Backbone Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Eight Point IPAEight Point IPA

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.99/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It's raining, it's pouring and it would be dampening my spirits if it weren't for all of the nice beers that my local, in-person trader, tone77 has dropped off for me! I inherited some horns, but they are not as big as eight-points, and I would prefer beer anyway.

My aggro pour got things going in a big way! I watched as the pseudo-cascade settled into three fingers of dense, eggshell-white head that slowly began to fall, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a pretty Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was primarily of grapefruit-citrus hops, although I caught a whiff of some malt giving it a measure of balance. Ah, as a hophead, I could sit here and inhale deeply all night and have no regrets, but that would not further this review. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching full. The taste was very fruity in terms of its hops, but I was getting a lot of tropical fruits (mango, pineapple, papaya) to go with the grapefruit citrus flavor. Wow! I was not expecting that, but it was a welcome change from all of the oddball beers that I have been drinking lately. Finish was more tropical than citrus but it was a really tasty beer as long as you like that sort of thing. I know that I do.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Expected a lot from this beer. While the beer did not disappoint, I was expecting a tad more. That's ok, though, this beer had a nice head and color. Head laced well. Flavor had citrus, maybe grapefruit and a nice balanced pine hop taste. Wanted a little more hop flavor, but overall a well done beer that the brewery should be proud of

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

I was recently on a vacation with my wife and her family visiting some of her extended family in Virginia and there was a Wegman's located close to the hotel we were staying at so I went in there and grabbed some singles of beers from Virginia breweries that I have never seen in Cleveland before (or anywhere else that comes to mind for that matter). This is one of the ones I grabbed. Poured into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours quite a clear, medium golden/copper color with a bit of an amber hue. Has a nice enough looking head that is about 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured and that settles to a fairly thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a nice surface coating film layer of foam and pretty solid lacing on the inside of the glass. Aromas of grapefruit and piney hoppyness followed by a hint of some caramel malty sweetness. I found the aroma to be underwhelming overall though. Not pungent enough for me. The taste is pretty much the same, only stronger than the smell, with some mild caramel, bready/biscuity, malt sweetness on the front of the tongue that gives way to big hop flavors with citrus and pine notes on the back of the tongue. While not overly bitter by any means, the citrus and pine hop flavor certainly is the dominant one here. Has a crisp and smooth, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the manner that a well crafted beer ought to be!

Eric