Maibock | Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by on 04-26-2009

Reviews by rugerj:
3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Beer pours a hazy caramel color, not much head is present and lacing is barely noticeable. Smell is of toasty caramel malt and fruit. Taste is a bready caramel flavor with not much of the fruitiness I detected in the nose. Mouth fell is good, nice and full. Carbonation is good for the style.

Not sure why, but this was again not what I was expecting. I am used to cleaner, less bready Maibock beers that present more of the fruity side of the style with a good clean, crisp malt taste. The beer should get you ready for spring by being more refreshing, this one reminds me of lighter colored doppelbocks that I would look forward to in the late fall. I guess I have been ruined some of the German offerings. However, that being said, this is a well made beer, I am not sure I would call it a MaiBock though.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Nice color, golden. Very malty, breadlike with some smooth caramel notes. Overall, a little light on flavor but not bad, just a touch weak !!!!....close to the style

3.88/5  rDev +6%

On tap at the brewpub last weekend.

Pours a clear golden color with some visible carbonation and a white head that's a finger or two high. Good spotty lacing on the way down. The nose is very bready and doesn't have too much complexity, though it's fairly nice. The flavor ramps up a bit with some nice bready undertones along with a bit of crust and a chewy character. Very light hop presence and a bit of light alcohol in the finish, though it doesn't display the 7% that's listed. Another very good representation of the style.

Maibock from Devils Backbone Brewing Company