Conspiracy Theory | Manchester Brewing, LLC

Conspiracy TheoryConspiracy Theory

Manchester Brewing, LLC
New Hampshire, United States

Style: English Oatmeal Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by johnnnniee on 05-09-2009

View: Beers
Reviews by Politibrew:
3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours jet-black. A slight attempt at a head disappears quickly into a thin ring of foam.

Smell of chocolate, maybe even a fruity hint. Coffee too but not as prominent. Roasted bean scent, both coffee and chocolate.

A nice balance between bitter malt and a slightly sweet ending. Caramel flavor.

Overall, a bit too thin, and a bit too weak in flavor compared to my favorite oatmeal stouts. I don't mind the lack of carbonation, but it needs a more robust flavor to make up for it.

Not a bad beer by any means, in fact it's good and a pleasure to drink. Just not something worth seeking out in particular.

I'm from NH and am all about supporting local brewers. I look forward to trying more of Manchester Brewing's beer, as they've just begun. Keep up the good work.

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer was a black color with a thin tan head. Aroma was of oatmeal and perhaps a little chocolate. The taste improved on the aroma, with oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee all well-represented. I found it to be on the sharp side of bitter. Still, not too bad of a beer.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

From the 1 pint 6 fl. oz. bottle with no lot code or brewing/expiration date listed. Sampled on May 24, 2009. The appearance is very dark to black with a token amount of long lasting beig head. It pours out the bottle with the consistency of molasses. The smell is of oatmeal, chocolate, and hops along with a bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium texture with good stability. The taste has that oatmeal, hoppy, cocoa taste you would expect from an oatmeal stout. It tends to go down more quickly than most oatmeal stouts I have had but I found it to be a pretty decent beer.

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 received as a super cool extra in a great trade with damianblack... Thanks Andrew!! Steven's gone... I wanted another beer.. this is in the fridge... here we go!!

Poured into my Delirium goblet.. 2 finger lite brown head atop a black brew.. nice lace yet a sorta flimsy cap.

Nose is mild coffee and roasted grains.. smells a bit vegetal at the beginning, but it goes away quickly.. weird.

Ehh... I'm having a hard time with this one... lite chocolate and roasted grains.. a little nutty.. there is a fair amount of different and expected flavors, but they don't seem to meld very well.. reminds me of instant coffee with a small dose of cream and some sort of artificial sweetner (this sounds bad, but it's not.. just what I was thinking).. finish is a too sweet combined with some chocolate and coffee.

Body is too thick.. although the oats add a great mouthfeel.. carbonation is lite and helps.

I would be very interested in knowing the ABV on this one.. It seems to be an "imperial" version, but for now, it seems pretty off kilter.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

My second of the night from Manchester and the one I chose as I nightcap. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, this one was consumed on 10/13/2009.

Another stellar pour here and Manchester goes two for two in that department for sure. Rich dark chocolate in color with a big head of tan to match it come up and over the top of the glass and instantly I see where this one is headed. Slides down just slightly down the glass and leaves a rich looking web of lace all over the side. I reach in to get a glimpse of the aroma and I find nice like milk chocolate notes, hints of cookie dough and a touch of light coffee kicking around in the back providing a touch of balance. The taste follows this very closely as I pick up lots of milk chocolate pudding like flavor, hints of cookies and light vanilla touches with just the slightest hint of coffee to bitter it out in the end. A little light on the feel for me, seemed to be lacking a touch of carbonation especially toward the end and it came off just a touch slick as I would have liked to have seen a much bigger body to match the flavor profile. Still though very easy to drink and went down quite well leaving me very anxious to get some more.

Overall this was a solid milk stout. Nothing really explosive or setting it apart from the crowd but I think it served the purpose very well and I would not mind trying it again.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Loterbol tulip. Thanks to VanillaMike for sending this along in our recent trade!

A: Pours an absolutely pitch black. A creamy, one finger, dark khaki colored head sits on top for a little bit before receding to a thick ring. Some tendrils of lace were left behind. Carbonation seemed somewhat active.

S: Very roasty nose, for an oatmeal stout. Roasted malt, dark chocolate, toasted oats, cocoa, fudge brownies, cherry, and citrus.

T: Big flavors of roast and bitter dark chocolate. Along the way, I also noticed flavors of caramel, brown sugar, toasted oats, fudge, citrus hops, chocolate covered cherries, and, when swirled, some dusty cocoa.

M: Lots of sweet and slick chocolate flavors hiding under a prickly and roasty mouthfeel. Some dry citrus hops add more complexity to this, too. Surprisingly aggressive finish for the style.

D: I found this to be a fantastic stout! Tons of bitter chocolate & hops and a boatload of roasted/toasted flavors. My only other experience with this brewery was the Peppermint Stout...interesting, but not great. This is great!

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Recommended by Bert from Bert's Better beers.

Pours opaque black and stays that way. Thin, dark tan head that's thick to skim. Any retention is gone by 2 fingers. I've had 2 Manchester brews and they both had retention problems. Disheartening.

Smells like dark chocolate, burn caramel, and vanilla--sort of like an chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Roast malt bordering on char.

Smooth roast malt, dare I say a tad burnt. Bold dark roast coffee, licorice with a char fade. There's a mild pharmaceutical character in back that I'm not a fan of.

I drank half this bottle one night and the second half the following afternoon. The half that had been in the fridge with foil on top was far better than the fresh half. Go figure.

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

I got this since it looked new, and it was next to the one with the great name, Alt Ctrl Del. Since I'm on a stout/porter run now, I might as well try this one. Poured it into a big Orval goblet style glass.

A: A very dark almost black head is very small and fades to nothing in almost 5 seconds flat! Leaves a light circle of bubbles that swirl around in a circle, somewhat mezmerizing for no good reason. It's not super thick, but very dark and lets no life through, even at the thinning bottom.

N: Nose has some roasted malt and light chocolate malt, as well as dark roasted fruits like prune and raisin. I get a slight alcohol roasted fruit and deep rich fruit like aroma. A touch of oatmeal makes me want breakfast. I also get a slight aroma of roasted asshole.

T: Taste starts with rich fruit and some not so beer like flavors. Sour raisin and prune seem to overload the palate. A very light roasted malt and some alcohol taste also comes out. Not much for oatmeal or real stout to finish the flavor. Some weird fruity sour flavors and almost a wheat malt wine flavor. It's... different.

M: Semi thin and a warming alcohol burn. Light carbonation.

F: Stouty and bitter charred malt finish. Its still semi sweet but kinda attempts to dry off. The weird fruit flavors stick around and dick around and make your mouth go myeh! Some alcohol warming and spiciness stick around for a bit too.

Final thoughts: Pretty weird, not much of a stout or oatmeal, some strange fruit flavors and sour malted barley wine like flavors, and high alcohol flavors and burns. Just as I thought of the Alt Ctrl Del, He-man SMASH!

Pours a two finger light tan head that fades quickly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Black color no highlights. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Roasted chocolate nose. Flavor is almost sweet roasted chocolate. Very slight bitter finish. $4.49 for a 22oz bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Good start to the head, but it settles to nearly nothing. Nearly no lace. The color is good--near black where little light shines through.

First smell is sweet raspberry. There's some alcohol in the background. Surprisingly, there's little darker malt aromas.

The flavor is closer to my expectations, but the body is way too light for an Oatmeal Stout--there's no chew. The carbonation, which is on the high side, doesn't help. The flavor starts off mild, but it the swallow offers a burst of burnt malt flavors with a nice bitter hop background. The aftertaste is a lasting coffee flavor.

This beer is better than the scores for its parts. In some ways, it might deserve a better score since I enjoy the flavor.

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a dark brown with the faintest of ruby highlights when held to light. Smallish mocha head dissipates quickly leaving some lace on the way down the glass. Smells of chocolate syrup, licorice, brown sugar, a touch of alcohol and a slight solvent smell. Taste is chocolate, licorice and roast. Lingering bitterness in the finish could be roast or hops I can't tell. Creamy/oily mouthfeel, medium body, light but ample carbonation. Nice oatmeal stout, could be a bit creamier but tasty as is. Reminded me more of a porter than a stout, but that line is so blurry I'll say its as advertised. Great stout, great price, from an up and coming local brewer.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

I picked up this bottle at Smiley's in Dover, NH on my way home from Kate Day 2010. I'm opening it tonight, I hope it is ok with a few months of age on it. The bottle has been kept in my cellar since I bought it, I'm pouring it into my Smuttynose Big Beer Series Tulip. This is a loud hiss as I pop the cap. I can feel the air escaping the bottle. I pour into the center of my glass. The liquid is very dark brown and entirely opaque. The head is made of brown bubbles and foam, but isn't very large. In the time it took me to type these last few sentences, it has receded to a tiny skim that doesn't even cover all of the liquid. Swirling the beer about brings back the head to a degree, but not as much as I'd like to see. It does leave a good coat on the sides of the glass. I stick my nose into the glass and inhale. I can smell roasted oats and semi-sweet chocolate. There also seems to be a bit of alcohol in the nose. I take a taste. It is a reasonable decent stout. I can taste the oatmeal, some toasted malts, and a bit of dark chocolate sweetness. It isn't too thick. The carbonation isn't too high, but I can feel it on my tongue. The mouthfeel reminds me of the Harpoon 100 bbl series Oyster Stout, but it has been a while since I had that beer, so I could be mistaken in their similarity. It is very drinkable. I am going to finish this 22oz bottle myself, but it could very easily be split by two beer fans over an appropriate meal. I don't think I'd seek this one out again, just because it isn't available in my area and if I found myself in Manchester Brewing's distribution area, I would want to try another of the brewery's offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 10/31

A: This beer pours an opaque black with a two finger of kahki color head. Head recedes quickly leaving spotty lacing all over the glass.

S: Nose is of roasted and toasted malts, a relatively strong hop presence and hints of coffee.

T: Taste is roasted malts at the fore front, some chocolate notes, a stronger presence of coffee and oatmeal in the taste and slightly citrusy hop bite finish.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat watery mouth feel, with a crisp finish.

D: A nice offering, not very complex.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle received from Tutes3 in a recent trade. Thanks!

Poured into my pint glass. Pours a deep jet black with a 1-inch-sized tan head on top. This disappears quickly to a ring on the edge. Leaves no lace at all. Smells of roasted malts, cashews, some light cocoa powder, and booze.

The mouth is crisp, but retains a subtle smooth creamy feel on the finish. Flavors mask the scent pretty well. Big roasty punch at the forefront followed by a bittersweet chocolate flavor that is very pleasant. Mild hop presence. This is a pretty good stout. I consumed the entire bomber and could have had more, if it was available. Recommend.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bomber courtesy of MrRetardedMonkey poured into a tulip.

Pours almost completely black in the glass with hardly any light showing through the edges. There's a big creamy tan head that recedes fairly quickly and leaves spotty lacing and a small cap.

The aroma is excellent with lots of toasted oats and dark chocolate. There are hints of coffee in the nose as well.

The taste is slightly more bitter with some semi-sweet bakers chocolate and plenty of roasted grains. There is a bit of coffee and some sugary molasses sweetness in the background.

The mouthfeel is slick with soft carbonation and seems to get sweeter and sweeter after each sip. The oats certainly add some smoothness to the feel.

This is a very solid beer from Manchester and I'm actually looking forward to trying some other things from them.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

Wanted to try this one, ran across it in a local beer store...

A: Pitch black with a tiny mocha colored head that quickly disappates. Looks decent.

S: Heavy oatmeal scent overtakes your entire nose. Not much else.

T: Decent. A hair too watered down. Kind of like coffee bean / oatmeal flavored water.

M: Eh, not enough carbonation going on. Just a hint more than water.

D: Goes down easy, but for the wrong reasons. Has hints of coffee / oatmeal, but too much water.

All in all, this is an ok brew. Not too much special going on. Worth a try once, but not for seconds or thirds. Good for people who like Breakfast Stouts to try at least once.

Poured dark and thick with a thin tannish head that persists. Moderate legs and that '40 weight' sheen. Deep dark burnt coffee/choclate nose. Sweet dark oat/toffee flavor. Thick and roasty. Not astringent or harsh with low carbonation and a silky mouthfeel. Coffee nose really comes forward as the sample warms. Very complex and drinkable. Use a tulip glass for better aroma.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

a: This was black bodied, just a little light can pass through the edges. It poured with a small, fizzy head that faded quickly to a ring.

s: Clean, oaty, chocolate malt goodness dominates. There is also a trace of bitter roast and a little something milky.

t: More depth than the smell would suggest. Smooth milkiness up front fades to a long lasting roasty cocoa finish. I really liked the finish on this one.

m: This is undercarbonated, making this feel kind of thin. Too bad, more bubbles probably would have helped n the aroma department as well.

d: Solid oatmeal stout in need of some bubble. Glad I got to try this and I'd like to try more from these guys. I love their labels.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a deep brown with good carbonation and brown head. Nose of chocolate, oats, toasted grains. Taste is chocolate, oats, roastiness and it sure tasted like this brew was throwing off some CO2. Body was good. Unappealing as I could not get past it. Mouthfeel is coating with alcohol, cocoa, oats and light creaminess.

3.8/5  rDev +3%

22oz bomber purchased at McKinnon's in Salem, NH. Pours a dark brown almost opaque body with virtually no head to speak of. Smells strongly of dark chocolate, coffee, with a fair bit of oats and a slight alcoholic bite. Dark chocolate and coffee immediately come to mind in the taste, with a slight earthy oatiness in the background adding a slightly nutty quality as well. Somewhat sweet but not overly so, fairly balanced and somewhat subdued. Medium body with some slickness, no doubt on account of the oatmeal, and low to moderate carbonation. A bit of a sipper, but not as much as some oatmeal stouts, and one sip definitely invites another with this one. Not a bad brew. Didn't blow me away, but a solid example of the style IMO, and it's good to see good beer like this being made relatively locally.

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from 22 oz. brown bomber into pint glass. Purchased at Nejaime's in Lenox, MA.

A: Deep dark brown/black color, can't see thru it at all, very full body, with a milk chocolatey light brown head. Quite fizzy, head filters away quickly, clings to rim of top surface but barely so.

S: Strong sweetness, caramel & toffee, faint breadiness. Deep and malty, nice but not overpowering. Really earthy overall, fresh.

T: Heavy malts, slightly sweet at first, bit of bready yeast, mostly caramel and dark chocolate. Leads into slightly bitterer roasted chocolatey flavor, like dark roast coffee. Finish is dry (after effects of the sweet flavors?). Later sips reveal a deep hidden fruit flavor lingering, maybe cherry? Sure the oatmeal is in there somewhere, but it's not the main flavor.

M: Full bodied and rich, dryish finish. Not too cloying or filling, tho. Just heavy on the mouth, not the stomach.

D: Well-crafted, appreciate the flavors and feel. Quite fresh, enjoyed it. Would drink again. One bottle per sitting is plenty thank you.

3.04/5  rDev -17.6%

22oz bomber from Beverage King in West Lebanon, NH.

Pitch black brew poured into a chilled pint glass. Robust mocha colored head settles from 2 fingers to a thick residual layer. Ample carbonation apparent. Good dose of lacing clings to the glass.

The same silage and raw grain aromas I've smelled in other Manchester brews absolutely dominates the nose. Dark malt and coffee/bitter chocolate come in a distant second, and everything else distantly behind that. Not very complex, no nuances.

Taste is heavy on dark malt. Coffee and chocolate made pungently bitter by hops. Silage in the background.

Dry and astringent. Filling, but watery mouthfeel. Not as smooth as a typical oatmeal stout.

Appearance is top notch, but goes down hill drastically from there. I think this one has more room for improvement than any other from this brewery.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pours a dark brown/black with a solid two-finger tan head. Decent retention and lacing.

S- Notes of bitter dark chocolate and oatmeal, mildly sweet and boozy.

T- Sweet, notes of cocoa, burnt coffee and mild citric hops in the finish.

M- Silky smooth but could use a bit more carbonation to enhance the "creaminess". A nice oat stickiness in the mouth.

D- Excellent. This is a solid brew, I will buy this one again. Manchester Brewings best offering yet.

Conspiracy Theory from Manchester Brewing, LLC