Pale Ale | Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill

Pale AlePale Ale

Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill
Colorado, United States
upslopebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by rowew on 12-07-2008

2.22/5  rDev -37.5%

A big shout-out to chugalug06 for sharing this can with me as an extra!

Standard copper yellow pour. Thick head that settled down into a nice, creamy donut-shaped ball of suds. Good start.

Now for the nose...whew…what the heck is going on here? Smells like fermented melon rinds and stale tea. No date on the can for me or my generous trade partner to know if we’re dealing with an antique here.

None of the characteristic flavors of what I think makes a good APA are present. Might be the nose tricking me, but this tastes a lot like 21st Amendment’s Hell or High Watermelon.

Mouthfeel is watery at the start and a little more creamy at the finish. Again, not what I am looking for in an APA.

Overall - second disappointing brew I’ve had from Upslope.

2.22/5  rDev -37.5%

2.36/5  rDev -33.5%

I knew I would meet again with Upslope. One tasty brown ale 18 months ago has led me to purchase their pale ale. Out of a 12 ounce can, on to the beer:

Half an inch of head rests top this electric, light orange beer. It looks vibrant in a glass, and adding texture to that is the lacing which whips around the glass. Vibrant as it looks, it's anything but that in the aroma. It's difficult to pick up any aromas immediately, like smelling water. What I do pick up is not good. There's a slight sourness which is acidic and not what I was looking for.

A pale ale that has a sour taste? Well, Upslope has managed to do that. Somehow, I can taste the potential of the beer masked behind that acidic note. With notes of honey blossom, graham cracker, and a brush of floral hops, overall the taste is just passable without being relegated to the sink. It's a medium bodied beer with moderate crispness.

This wasn't the homecoming that I was looking for. I expect to give Upslope another try, but not with the Pale Ale.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: thin white head recedes quickly with plenty of lacing. Color is slighty cloudy gold. No visible streaming carbonation.
Aroma: some mild citrus, earthy, and floral hops. Some yeast and lightly toasted barley. Mouthfeel: light, watery, slick mouthfeel. Quite dry finish.
Flavor: strong herbal bitterness and a soapy flavor along with some sweet breadiness & some raisin, but very much in the background.
Overall: this is a bit of a strange one. Wasn’t awful but not great either. The aroma seemed quite distinct from the taste and not in a complimentary way.

2.53/5  rDev -28.7%

A - About three to four fingers of head with a moderately hard pour in the glass. Shrinks to a nice coating with some lacing left on the sides. Light yellow in color.

S - Sweet malty scent. Smell reminds me of bread dough.

T - Buttery and sweet at first. Then some hoppiness follows but not much at all. Makes me think this british style not american pale.

M - Watery. Very light and thin. Even the hop taste is gone quickly.

D - Sure you can drink a few with no real problems but the taste is nothing really special. The bitterness from the hops is washed away quickly. The hops don't seem balanced equally with the malts. The diacetyl seems to last more in my mouth then any else.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper with a nice thumbs width head that sticks around for a bit. Weird aroma for the style; kind of a sweet banana smell to this. Kinda get a roasted peanut flavor at the very get go, this transitions into a little sweetness and then hops come in with a kick of grass and bitterness. Carbonated, medium body but it feels light. Not a fan of this one, flavor of it just doesn't click with me.

2.91/5  rDev -18%

I received a can of Upslope Pale Ale in a trade on reddit, and unfortunately, I did not like it very much. The pale ale looked pretty good, a light amber color with a little white head that stuck to the glass leaving a pale on the glass as I drank. The smell was mostly bready malt with a little green hop aroma. The taste really let me down. The bitterness was definitely not enough for the style and the hop flavor was passive--grassy and woody, not citrusy and bold as I expected. The was a little sweet upfront, but dry in the finish, but just weird. As it warmed up, I liked it more, but overall, I would not want to have this again

12 oz. can poured into a willibecher.

A- Pale straw with great clarity. White head retains at a small pad.

S- Slight hint of fruit. A little boozy (unexpected) in smell, and sweet bread backbone.

T- Mild fruitiness, and a little citrus. A bit of pine.

M- Light body, a little fruity, and lightly bitter in the finish.

O- This one is a little bland. It drinkable, but lacks any real complexity.

Pale Ale from Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill