Pale Ale | Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill

Pale AlePale Ale

Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill
Colorado, United States
upslopebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by rowew on 12-07-2008

Liked:
3.61/5
Alströms:

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -3%

a decent pale ale from upslope. less hoppy than most american pale ales, this is a very well balanced beer with subtle bready malt flavors to round out the hops. its not the most robust pale ale out there, but it has a particular depth of flavor which i found appealing. additionally, it stood up well to spicy mexican food, which not all pale ales do. ice cold right from the can is how i will probably drink these in the future. its a good easy drinking beer that offers a bit more than most conventional pale ales. not nearly as good as the upslope brown ale though.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.14/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with an inch or two of foam that leaves a decent trace

Smell: Very bready, with sweet undertones and a rather bitter, slightly minty hop character

Taste: Opens with the bready flavor from the aroma, with a developing sense of caramel that arrives by mid-palate; after the swallow, the earthy and slightly minty bittering hops take over but there is no real flavor beyond the bitterness

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I am not crazy about the Patagonian hop selection for this beer as it produces a load of bitterness without a lot of the things I love in hops

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +10.2%

First had: on tap at Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids & Solids, Longmont, CO

Poured a straw-yellow, clear, moderately carbonated, with a decently-sized white head that retained fairly well. Aroma of sweet bready malts, light pine character, with a bit of citrus. Taste is lightly toasted bread, caramel, with a good balance of citrus and pine hops. Nice and basic. Light-medium mouthfeel and pleasantly drinkable.

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Got this from Bitterbill, cheers Bill! Review based on notes

Pours a light straw color with 3 fingers of pearl colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Grassy & piney hops, faint breadyness

T: Bready with citrussy hops & a flinty dryness up front. Breadyness along with pineyness & lemony hops as this warms. Finishes with grassy & mineral hop notes & slight breadyness

MF: Light bodied, with soft carbonation & good balance

Drinks easy, but could've used more flavor across the board, these guys aren't cause much concern for OB any time soon from what I can see...

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

I was waitin' on the effin' Old Lady to send me some of this when a stellar CANTrader came through in the meantime. Kudos to him, leave her alongside the road. My life as a C&W song in a CAN.

From said CAN: "Ingredients - Snowmelt, Malt, Patagonian Hops, Yeast. Specs - Hand-Crafted, Aluminum CAN, Portable, Recyclable, Good. Crisp, Clear, Dry".

I personally love the CRACK of a CAN being opened and the subsequent Glug, glug, glug sound as it rushes into my glass. I remember one respondent to a CANQuest (TM) post saying that those were the very things that put him off of CANned beers, but for me, they are the equivalent of bells to Pavlov's dogs or the CAN opener to my brother's late cat. Man, I just CAN't wait to try some of that beer!

I began with a finger of bone-white head, but unlike the Grateful Dead's Sugar Magnolia, it did not wait while I typed for you. Color was lazing in the sunlight, a golden-honey like deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was as grassy as a new-mown lawn or the parking lot of a Dead show (no, sorry, different grass, especially with The Man peeping in). This had everything delightful, this had everything I need in an APA. There was some grassy hops initially on the tongue, but then I caught some beautiful malty sweetness. I knew I'd have to come up soon for air. It had everything delightful and everything I need except for piney-ness, but it had the sun and bright moonlight as I was lazing in the moonlight, yes indeed. Finish left me in a haze, like I had been at a Dead show. Still, a nice, smooth finish with the malt doing a good balancing act with the hops. Throw this in your cooler and head out for some summer love in the spring, fall and winter.

I CANnot tell you why I was inspired to write an homage to the Grateful Dead but the review should still be taken seriously. After all, are we not to have fun?

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight pale malt, hops, hint of pine, and a hint of floral hops. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pale malt, slight hops, and slight floral hops. Overall, weak appearance, good aroma, decent feel, and decent body.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Overall a milder and more session-friendly pale ale. Reminds me of the old GD Denver Pale Ale. The hops are a mild of herbal spice and grapefruit. A smooth brew, with a creeping subtle bitterness. I only get a light hit of the toasty malts. This would probably be a fun cask beer, there's a lot going on but it's subtle.

2.36/5  rDev -34.6%

I knew I would meet again with Upslope. One tasty brown ale 18 months ago has led me to purchase their pale ale. Out of a 12 ounce can, on to the beer:

Half an inch of head rests top this electric, light orange beer. It looks vibrant in a glass, and adding texture to that is the lacing which whips around the glass. Vibrant as it looks, it's anything but that in the aroma. It's difficult to pick up any aromas immediately, like smelling water. What I do pick up is not good. There's a slight sourness which is acidic and not what I was looking for.

A pale ale that has a sour taste? Well, Upslope has managed to do that. Somehow, I can taste the potential of the beer masked behind that acidic note. With notes of honey blossom, graham cracker, and a brush of floral hops, overall the taste is just passable without being relegated to the sink. It's a medium bodied beer with moderate crispness.

This wasn't the homecoming that I was looking for. I expect to give Upslope another try, but not with the Pale Ale.

3.25/5  rDev -10%