HogWild IPA | Aviator Brewing Company

aviatorbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Added by atsprings on 03-03-2009

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can, fridge temp, snifter, no freshness info.

Pours a hazy deep orange color. Really, big, dense, billowy head, off white in color. Good head retention, but as it fades it leaves some really nice lacing and a nice rocky appearance.

Pretty balanced aroma. Bready, biscuity malt seems to come out first. Resin, grapefruit, pine, a touch floral.

The balance of the taste leans more to the hoppier side of things. You can tell your simple, classic c hops were used in this one. Pine resin, grapefruit citrus, a bit floral with some nice bready malt to round it out. Quite a bitter beer which lingers well after the finish.

Medium bodied, easy drinking.

This is a run of the mill "good" IPA. If this were a local beer or something, I could see consuming lots of this. As it is, I probably wouldn't buy this again, but worth one try atleast. Beers that come to mind that remind me of this might be 60 minute or two hearted.

3.76/5  rDev -0.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a nice golden amber color with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Moderate lacing was apparent on my pint glass. Head retention was also fairly long lasting.

Some mild hop aroma, but more herbal than flowery. No resinous piney notes were present, but I was looking forward to a taste after a long day working in the yard. Some background aroma of bread, but only very slight.

After several sips, I was a bit disappointed that there were no floral hop flavors of citrus present, but there was a nice malty bitter balance that kept me coming back for more. I would have preferred some aromatic floral hop aromas and resinous flavor, but this ale seemed well balanced as it stood.

The mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side, but it still had enough body to make drinking it a pleasure. Given that, it was a very drinkable ale and would go down very smoothly on a warm summer eve.

I would recommend purchasing this beer, but only if you wanted more of a session style beer in mouthfeel alone. The abv of 6.7% would more than likely curtail any serious consumption.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an alright IPA, but it was different than the ones I have been drinking lately. It had the hop presence there for sure, but it had something that was off putting to me which I will get to in a minute. But first...

Appearance: Nice golden straw color, lots of frothy head that never seemed to go away. It was served on tap and was extremely cold, which may have been some of the problem.

Smell: IPA, floral, sweet a little citrus fruit bouquet going on but not a real piney resinous smell going on. Kind of get a little of that off odor given from wheat beers.

Taste: The same type of flavors are going on but I couldn't figure out if they may have tried to add some wheat beer components to this or what, but I was definitely getting that rotten cabbage thing I get from wheat beers mixed into the hop bitterness, it was present maybe not powerful enough to turn me off, but there was something going on with it that reminded me of a wheat beer. I have not had a wheat beer I liked. It is my least favorite style of all. It seems to be a gateway, or "chick" beer style and I have never been a fan, If you have to add a slice of orange, just order a damn margarita or something out of the slushy alcohol machine. Anyway, this is my only downfall with this beer. Overall it was solid but i was offput by the wheat beer aroma and flavor I detected. Some may love it for that.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewery.
A- golden amber and light orange hue
S- Citrus and an overwhelming amount of floral hops, I'm assuming the Willamette on the dry-hop. Almost too floral for me, much like dryer sheets
T- Creamy and thick malt following by a pleasant hop bite. Spicy, piney hops and a small amount of tangerine and citrus fruit that lingers.
M- Slick and creamy. Hangs around the mouth and coats everything in it's present. Well carbonated and just enough bitterness without leaving your tongue numb.

Not my favorite IPA, not a big fan of Willamette hops or this combo. A good choice if it's the only IPA around though.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%