Hop Happy India Pale Ale | Milwaukee Brewing Company

mkebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by logansboat15 on 11-27-2011

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

Dark amber color with two fingers of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma was a let down with its timid hop aroma. Mild herbal and pine notes. Sweet caramel from the malt as well.

The flavor was equally disappointing. Definitely IPA levels of bitterness, but the hop flavor is very weak. Herbal and mint notes from the hops. Slightly sweet malt flavor. Nothing poor about the flavor, just not one of the better IPA flavor.

Enjoyable texture to the beer. Creamy feel that is unusual for most pale ales. The addition of oats is noticeable and appreciated.

The hops made a disappointed appearance in this beer. Would be a good beer if they could get more out of the hops besides bitterness.

2.7/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into the Boulevard tulip. Coded bottled on date on the bottom of the bottle, but the label at the top says copyright 2011, so I'm assuming this is a pretty old beer. I have had this beer before and was unimpressed, so my expectations are pretty low already.

A - Pours a hazy amber honey color with a giant three finger tan root beer soda looking head. Very creamy looking head hangs out for pretty much the entire time you drink the beer.

S - Because of the glassware I'm assuming, I am actually able to decipher the vaguest hint of hops, unlike the last two times I drank this beer when I just scratched my head and wondered if I was drinking the same beer as everyone else. Cascade and centennial hops? Uhh, if you ask me just forget about it, it smells like an imposter.

T - Has that musty copper kettle malt taste mixed in with some apple cider, but there is virtually the most minimal hop bitterness present, this should be called IPA Light. With a name like Hop Happy IPA, this beer's utter lack of hop bite is disappointing to say the least. Obviously, this beer is partially on the stale side, so maybe I am being overly harsh, and I would gladly give a fresher bottle another shot. However, this beer just tastes very mediocre to me, and a poor example of an IPA. On the other hand, I could definitely see this beer pairing well with the traditional redneck BBQ - ribs, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers, or with Mexican cuisine like tacos.

M - More of a sticky honey taste this time around, with a nice moderate level of carbonation in the body, and a somewhat surprising bitter lingering. This beer's 7.5% abv is barely noticeable, and there is hardly any alcohol taste at all, just the taste of stale dusty apples.

Overall, I would have to say that out of the three bottles of this stuff I have drank, this has been the best bottle so far. I am still unimpressed, but it was better than it has been. In my defense, I did drink a six pack of Miller Lite earlier. I would try this again, but only if it was a much fresher bottle.

Milwaukee Brewing Co. Hop Happy IPA ---2.5/5

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%