1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Lindemans Gueuze | Brouwerij Lindemans

View: Beers
Reviews by abijen:
3.74/5  rDev +3.6%

A nice Gueuze beer. 5% ABV
Not that special I think.
What I like is the taste and the mouthfeel. An average sourness and a light sweetness.
It felt light and thin with a lively carbonation.
What I liked less was the appearance. It is not that special. A minimal white head.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Color: clear tea. Foam very short-lived, ecru.
The aroma is a clear acidity, fruity, apple cider vinegar.
Taste: delicately seasoned, reappears cider vinegar, a little fruit and floral notes. It is only slightly sour and the whole is very polite marked by the presence of sugars.
Saturation high, sparkling.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

A copper colored lambic with a mild amount of carbonation. This beer smells like your typical funky lambic (yeast, wet hay, cork, etc.), but in a very mellow way. It tastes fruity and sour, with notes of lemon, apple, peach, but all of these flavors are quite subdued. I prefer lambics with a bit more of an assertive sourness. However, this one is still pretty good.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.87/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz bottle served in oversized red wine glass

A - barely half a finger of lose bubbly white foam, falling quickly to a thin layer. lacing down the side after each sip. the beer is a strong dark amber color, clear with medium carbonation.

S - sour slight rotting apples abound, vinegar, sour white wine grapes. hints of yeasts border between sour and funk.

T - faint sourness kicks off with some apple cider, pears, grapes, more sweetness not found in the nose. tastes a lot like a mild unspiced cider.

M - light carbonated, medium bodied but quite syrupy. flavors stick around for a bit especially towards the back of the tongue.

D - quite unique for the style, to me the more sour the better and this just falls a bit short. enjoyable sipper.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not the biggest gueuze/lambic fan, though I appreciate the yeasty/sour element. It's when they get ultra-tart, like bad vinegar, that I turn off. But this one is about as good an ambassador for the style as any I've had.

Nice cloudiness with a thin head. A large population of bubbles in the hazy golden sea.

Aroma is incredibly subtle. A musty odor masks a citrusy component that tries to find its way through.

The flavors are much more friendly to the palate than some of the harsher, more sour gueuzes I've tried. There's an excellent balance of sweetness and sourness, with just a touch of that sweaty yeastiness that helps define the style. Nothing overly acidic, but nothing overly saccharine either. Along with a wonderfully creamy mouthfeel, I would most definitely pick this up again. I did rank it a bit low on the drinkability meter, as I find these hard to drink any more frequently than every now and then, no matter how good the flavor (and this particular offering delivers well on that front).

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Very nice. Much more friendly than I expected. Last week I enjoyed the Cantillon Vigneronne and I expected more similarities. There not even remotely close. I have had the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René and Cantillon Gueuze Monk's Café Cuvee, and both of these were quite intense. This Gueuze is actually quite approachable and rather sweet in its own tart dryness.

Allowed to warm and then served in a snifter.

Presentation: Cork cap foil the works, just on a 12oz bottle instead. ("cute" says my wife).

Appearance: A careful pour yields a clear body that appears copperish caramel on the table but when back lit becomes even more transparent and red hues stand out. It has a decent sudsy off white head that fade to a frothy partial cap covering some of the beer far into it. The lacing is here and there spotty.

Smell: Effervescent. Musky and tart but with a surprising sweet malt wood and apple attribute showing through in the nose as well.

Taste: It seems to have a candy like caramel yeasty base upon which the tart Lambic attributes play with the palate and the pucker reflex in the cheeks. It has tart apple and damp woody attributes along with some Gueuze funkiness. After the swallow I keep smacking my lips as if they were sticky. There are loads of flavors in the aftertaste as well as running across the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Little carbonation gives it a slick smooth feeling in the mouth. Medium body. Leaves behind a dry stickiness that is also somehow sweet and pleasant. Puzzling, but nice.

Drinkability: I have enjoyed all the Gueuze I have had so far. This is nothing like the others though. This one is certainly more drinkable than some in the style but it is simply a style built for sipping not session drinking.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

off white head with sliding lace. copper to pink in color, fine carbonation.

Musty in the nose, farmhouse, horseblanket, peach.

Interesting taste. sweetness of the fruits clash akwardly with a significant sour/lemon/rind type citrus, but in the end they end up likeing eachother.

Decent but nothing to "wow". I couldn't see drinking more than 2 of these at any sitting.

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a clear orange color, making this look exactly like a liquid orange sucker. Minimal, spotty lacing, and a thin, frothy head. Some floaties to deal with. Smells musty and sweet with a background of wheat. Smells a bit "malty" for a geuze. Has a cidery sweetness without much funk character. Tastes as if this was a geuze mixed with some other beer. Mouthfeel is light, and smooth but a bit syrupy sweet. I could definately see this being a refreshing beer in warmer months, but there's no way in hell I'd buy this again, honestly. The quality does not match up with the price tag. Ounce per dollar, the Cuvee Renee is a way better beer and way better deal.

I’ve always been a fan of Lindeman’s, and this beer didn’t let me down. You expect a lot of flavor from their lambics, but I didn’t get my hopes up; this was said to be a more natural, wheaty kind of lambic, so I thought I would be experiencing less of that flavor rush and sweetness than the Cassis, Kriek, Framboise or Peche.
When I poured the Gueuze, it had a large head that disappeared quickly, atop a golden orange body. It was completely clear, with bubbles much like champagne.
The aroma was of apples more than anything, followed by wheat and sour fruits. The flavor was the same; mostly a tart cider with yeast and sweet/sour hints. It had a lot of carbonation to start but as the glass warmed and the flavors became more intense, the carbonation died down. I feel that the sweetness became slightly sourer towards the end, but it still finished crisp and refreshing. Definitely a must try for lambic fans everywhere.

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

It’s a good thing in this case that the beer was corked as well as capped, because I got some off gas when I removed the cap. After this, there were some bubbles rising up from the middle of the cork. I think that the cap saved this one.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear slightly orangish golden color at first with a quarter inch of head that disappears pretty quickly. There are quite a few bubbles rising, but the head is not maintained.

Aroma: Yeasty and bready aroma with a presence of lighter colored citrus fruit like lemons and maybe a tad of orange. There is a sweet and earthy background note that is gaining a bit of a wood character as the beer warms a bit. A dry wheaty aroma starts to become more noticeable as it warms. The earthy aromas come out a bit more as it warms, but still they seem really reserved for the style

Taste: Lemon and citrus greet the palate at first, but this fades pretty quickly to a slightly sweeter flavor than I am used to with a Gueuze. There are a bunch of fruit flavors in here, and all you have to do is close your eyes and think of one (Apples, Lemons, Cherry, and you can even get some melon is you try hard enough. The beer comes across as really sweet, and has a bit of a syrupy finish rather than the characteristic puckering that some of us so look forward to. The finish is only slightly dry, but leaves you with a sweet and slightly syrupy aftertaste.

Opinion: This is no Cuvee Renee! This Gueuze would be one for someone just exploring the world of sour beers. It isn’t bad tasting, but it is very mild and reserved compared to most beers in this style. There is a tad of tartness, and a bit of the earthy flavor/aroma, but it remains pretty much balanced the entire time. If you don’t know what a Gueuze is…try this one before shelling out $20+ for a bottle of Cantillon. If you already like Gueuze, I would buy something else…like a Girardin, or an Oud Beersel or some such. This is like a “pretend” Gueuze.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured this 12 oz corked bottle into a Lindemans Flute. It is a clear deep straw color with a heavy lasting 1 to 1 ½ inch head with nice lacing. The smell is a tart and smells like medicine. It has a very sharp, light, clean, and fizzy mouthfeel. The flavor is sweet and sour but very smooth; tasting like honey, wood (oak/hickory), and citrus. A good beer draws fruit flies and this was no exception (Had several unfortunate casualties). I am very skeptical in my early stages of trying Lambics and this one surprised me. It is quite a good beer. It has a nice blend of sweet and tart due to it’s mixture (Gueuze).

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

Definitely on the sweet side... and with a funkyness that is a tad off-putting... not as clean as other geuze's...

But pours from a 375ml bottle copper/straw, just slightly hazy.

The nose carries the distinctive lactic sour twang, just slightly vinegar-sweet, some caramel/toffee.

Taste is definitely on the sweet side, not quite cloying, but far from dry. Vinegar notes are present around the edges, green apple, sour cherries are faintly available, malt character very much in the background, complex, but just a tad too sweet.

Nicely carbonated, lifts relatively clean of the tongue, approaching spritzy... would work well as an aperitif, or as I served, with chicken with olives, tomato, and shallot in a gueuze reduction.

Drinkability would be higher if it weren't quite so sweet, this bottle went down quickly, but for the price I want something with this level of sophistication in the palate but without such a glaring weakness. That said, I'd love to have this around more often.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Only date on bottle is 1990... no idea how old this is but I'm guessing at least 5-10 years.

Bottle cap is wet on the inside with some slight musty/mildewy cork smell. Yikes. Cork pops out, but is spongy and wet from beer.

Deep copper color on the pour... clarity is very good with white, white lacing. A nice looking beer.

First whiff is musty and sour, appley. Second whiff is fruity; strawberries, figs, apricots. Third whiff is fruity with some caramel notes coming through. Sugary.

Flavor is decent. Apple dominates everywhere. Some lemon. Overall it is good, but there are better gueuze styles out there.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

This is my first lambic experience, so I will try to be as open-minded as possible in this review. Poured into a matching Lindemans flute with a clear gold and thin white lacing for a head. Lots of bubbles throughout.

Nose is strong bitter and sour yeasts. Very grassy but a hint of sweet caramel as well. Very tarty citrus notes also.

I was a little shocked by my first taste, but in a good way. Very warm tarty and crispy lemon perfectly balanced by a sweet malt. Sour, but not overly so.

Very warm and smooth mouthfeel. Somewhat creamy, yet very sharp at the same time. High carbonation and easily drinkable. I think I'm the newest convert to lambics. Would definitely recommend this to any beer drinker. It's different, but good.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Honey in color, nice white two finger head that has decent retention but leaves behind not much in the way of lacing - maybe my glass was still wet from washing when I poured. Attractive color.

Smell: Slightly sweet, slightly sour smelling... A bit worrying, I'm not a big fan of the super-sweet lambics I've had so far. Not much in the way of hops or malt character, but a hint of barnyard saison-like funk.

Taste: Sweet at the tip of the palate, but quickly supplanted by sourness and bitterness. Brett character at the finish that definitely reminds of Orval. Hops just for bittering (and perhaps preservative!), not for flavor. Finishes dry, which I appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light. Well-carbonated.

Drinkability: I was a bit nervous, as this is the first gueuze I've had. Much more drinkable than the other lambics I've had. I'll have to explore this style in more depth when the opportunity arises... I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this served as a good introduction for me and left me with a favorable impression of the style.

2.59/5  rDev -28.3%

Very light hint of sour brettanomyces aroma. Otherwise there's a lot of sugary sweetness in the nose. Seems way too "clean" for gueze.

Deep orange color with a great white head that leaves nice lacing. Lots of rising carbonation bubbles, a very good looking beer.

Well, first thing I taste is sugary, table sugar, not malt, not malt syrup, but sugar. All that sugar is hiding a low level lambic sourness that comes through on the back end. The aftertaste is also sugary. Hop flavor and bittering seems non-existing. There's non of the bacterial or funk flavors that I'm really looking for in a lambic. Really, that sugary flavor is unpleasant.

Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Very lively in the mouth.

Drinkability is pretty low. I can't think of a food I'd want to pair this with except maybe ice cream. If I wanted a soda, I'd drink one. If I wanted an alcopop (which this tastes quite a bit like) I'd have my head examined. If I want a lambic, I'd buy something else.

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours orange and grainy from a corked bottle into an oversized wine glass. Massive fluffy head, partially due to the cork falling into the bottle and causing it to fizz up and spill (oops). Head fades quite fast, though.

Aroma is fascinating... horseblanket and must, very sour, with barnlike or hay background.

Taste is only mildly sour, with some sweetness in it as well. Musty/moldy notes, sour apple and melon, maybe a little banana. Somewhat reminds me of a Jolly Rancher candy, which isn't great.

Good, thicker-than-expected mouthfeel and a mild fruity aftertaste.

I don't have a lot of experience with gueuze as a style, so it's hard to compare, but I'm guessing there are a lot better ones than this.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Into a tulip glass, pours a bright, somewhat murky copper amber, a light white head recedes to a thin, sparse film, delicate lacing in streaks. The aroma is tart, sweet, and sour, but a bit sparse. Maybe interesting, but it doesn't come out much. The taste is much more expressive, lots of tart fruits, drying from the start for the mouth, some obvious Belgian yeastiness, lots of carbonation all adding to this effect of lambic-y goodness. I personally haven't had that many sour Belgians, but I'm definitely exploring it now, and am finding (surprisingly) that I like em, and this one isn't an exception, a pretty good beer.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

This beer pours out of the smaller bottle a dark clear orange with a thin film of white head.

Smells of dry pasty wheat, both powdered and brown sugar and a funky sour yeast. I’m also getting a little sour pear and plumb.

Tastes of a cherry and apple sweetness with a musky, cider-like sour plumb and tart cherry. As I drink, a dry earthy and woody fruity dryness drifts up into my nose. Finishes with some under ripe pear. Also, I’m getting a distinct olive oil here too.

The mouth feel is light in bodied with a tingly miniature carbonation that leaves my mouth dry in the finish.

This one’s a good sipper, but nothing too amazing.

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle corked and capped, foil wrapped. Pours a clean copper orange color with very little, if any, yeast particles visible. Big white head that lasts ... fine lacing in the goblet I've poured into. Nose is complex and strange, but in a good way. Definitely a musty (read: old damp room) smell, that actually works for this style. Sweet as well ... bittersweet fruits and straw. Palate is sweet and sour, but maybe the sweet wins out here. Slight Vinegar-like character which causes the mouth to water ... something I actually love in a Lambic. Fruity and quite smooth through the vinegar acidity. Warms to a smoother malt backbone. Finishes quite dry and lively with aggressive carbonation levels. Not being an expert in the Gueuze style, I can't say how it stacks up to it's competition, but I do know I like this on it's own merits. Best Lindeman's product I've had, by far. Makes me want more and that's got to be a good thing. If you're not familiar with a Gueuze, this is probably a good, safe place to start the journey.

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%

pours a muddy bronze with a small not very firm head ...

the smell is fresh, like a meadow after a spring rain, some hints of hops ...

taste is fruity (boskoop apple, starfruit), very soury, with an astringent bitter attack in the end ....

even though I love bitter brews (the old Pilsner Urquell or Jever) paired with sourness is too much for my taste ....

3.37/5  rDev -6.6%

App: Clear golden beer look with white bubbles, great lacing and good carbonation.

Smell: Almost skunky, rubber tire, slight fruitiness.

Taste: Crisp, cidery and a little like the dentist's office.

Mouthfeel: Tart, smooth, good carbonation and crisp. Pretty fantastic as it cleans itself off the palate. I'm impressed.

Drinkability: This is a very appealing geuze (it doesn't smell like farts like others i've tried). I'd try this on tap, and imagine it's much better aged even.

Lindemans Gueuze from Brouwerij Lindemans