Lindemans Gueuze | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
good
Read the review
Lindemans GueuzeLindemans Gueuze

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

A - A solidly dense three finger head rises above this crystal clear amber brew. This is so purely clear, and so amber that I halfway expect to see a giant mesozoic mosquito frozen in time in my glass! Tons of lace sticks to the glass, and brings back a fat finger and a half of beautiful white foam. This is a beautiful beer!

S - I can smell the battery acid two feet from the glass, and as my nose approaches the glass, I can smell balsamic vinegar, beer battered fish, and some tart raspberry notes show up faintly in the background. This is much less astringent and harsh than other gueuzes that I've tried, and for some that may be seen as a weakness but I'm thankful for it. This also has the traditional gueuze barnyard notes(or what I think smells more like the big ape habitat at the zoo). This has enough nasal zing to make you wince, but not enough to make your eyes water.

T - Wow! This sure is sweet! I was expecting an overwhelming pucker, but this is not at all violent like I expect a gueuze to be. This is one of the most complex brews that I've had in quite a while. I can taste balsamic vinegar soaked beer battered fish (which is just about my favorite food on the planet), sugar cubes, under-ripe raspberry tartness, a load of zingy green apple skin, immature green grapes, sour-pucker candy, and a tiny dollop of honey. Damn! This is a world-class brew.

M - This is medium bodied with some really nice structure on the palate, and a very understated level of carbonation. This feels like a tannic red wine in my mouth, and the finish is surprisingly breif. This could use some more heft and astringency...it's very gentle.

D - This is scary. I could live on this stuff! I think that it would go well with anything from salads, chicken, steak, chocolate....this is one of the better food beers out there. I could down bottle after bottle of this stuff, but I'd be broke at these prices (I paid $4.99 for a 355ml bottle). If only I were a rich man...Sadly, price is a factor and the cost of this stuff will prevent me from buying it very often but I won't detract from the score just because I'm po'. Actually, this is so drinkable that I wish it had some characteristic that made me want to drink more slowly because at five bucks for this little bottle, I'm paying a dollar a minute at this rate.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

Reviewed from scribbled notes from last night.

Pours a nice fizzy red. The smell is wonderful and full of apples and bananas. The taste is very sharp, crisp and clean, and again full of apples. Strong flavored, much like how a good wine should taste. The mouthfeel is a little too thin, but the drinkability is through the roof.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color was amber, with good head retention. The smell was tart and wheaty. The taste was very citrusy, with a very tart and sour aftertaste. The mouthfeel was very smooth with a good level of carbonation. Drinkability-wise, I'd drink as many of these as I could afford.

This was my first ever gueuze, a style I was looking forward to trying, and I surely was not disappointed! Lambics are such a pleasant little treat, and surely a wonderful and unique beer experience.

4.41/5  rDev +21.8%

It poured a beautiful cloudy gold with plenty of sediment and carbonation visible. It had 1 finger of white head that quickly became a nice lace. It's smell was fruity and spicy. The taste was of malt and yeast almost gingery with a hint of a mix of Champagne and berries. It is wet and oily, but has a Champagne like tinge of tart dryness in the finish. What a great beer, the complex tastes made it a real feast. My only real issue was that it disappeared way to quickly.

4.38/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amber colour, clear, lightly carbonated. Apple (cider) smell and taste. Lightly acidic, but mainly sweet, although not as sweet and one-dimensional as Mort Subite Oude Gueuze or St. Louis Gueuze. Not as delicious and complex as Lindemans' Cuvee Rene, but underrated here on BA. Very refreshing, would be excellent summer drink if cheaper. (5% ABV, not 4.)

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

Amber colour, reminds me of some sherry generous oaked wines. Nice shades when you hold it to the light. Good head with a silky lace. Aroma is pungent and sour, barnyard, ripe fruits. something in it reminds of a blue cheese. Very complex, some fruits on it too, and champagne like. Tart flavor, mouth is dry and sour, some fruits, roasted almonds or hazelnuts, some barnyard too.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

There's a part of me that wants to say this beer is fruity and thus not worthy of a review, but there's this other part that says it's exceptionally delicious and worthy of my praise. It's tart, fizzy, and altogether addicting. I'm no gueuze expert, but it's almost as if you took the other Lindemans and cut out the cherries and raspberries and whatnot. Nothin' but meat and potatoes in this summbitch, I tell you what. Good Stuff.

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours an orange amber, with a nice head that resides quickly and leaves nice lacing.
Smells sour and delicious. It smells like lambics, but lacking the sweet sugars.
Tastes very nice! Heavy tartness and some serious lack of sugar, which makes this beer pretty cool. Nothing that is like a normal Belgian but more than that.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lindemans Gueuze from Brouwerij Lindemans