Lindemans Gueuze | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
good
Read the review
Lindemans GueuzeLindemans Gueuze

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

i'm drinking this tonight out of a lindemans glass. splitting with the missus. this is one we've had before and both enjoy, but i'm just taking the time to review.

this beer poured a cloudy golden amber with a thin tan head that left quickly. tons of carbonation.

this beer smells a bit like grape peel, earthiness, a bit sour with a touch of malty sweetness. smells good for a fruit beer, although i haven't had that many of them.

the beer is very well balanced to me. equal parts sweet and sour. the taste is very funky and earthy. tastes like it smells. this beer is easily the best beer i've had from lindemans.

the mouthfeel is medium, which is fuller than i expected. not bad.

easily my favorite offering from these guys. i'd like to try some more like this that are rated higher than this one.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A sweet, sour apple note greets my nose as I pour this beer into my 25cl tulip glass. The head starts out a finger and a half thick, despite a reasonable pour and is a pale, off-white color. The beer is an amber, slightly copper tinged color that shows a lightly hazy, copper color when held up to the light. A deeper inspection of the nose yields a candy sweetness, that for some reason I wasn't expecting from even a Lindemans product. Green apple candies really is an apt descriptor for the aroma as that is the most noticed part. There is a touch of lactic character if you really dig for it and perhaps a touch of dusty malt.

Quite sweet tasting, but has a bit of tartness to it and it does not seem to be quite as sweet as the standard fruit beers from Lindemans, though it is still quite sweet. This finishes with a touch of musty, damp earthiness, which, with the sweetness, is about all that ties this to traditional Lambic. This tastes mostly like green apple syrup (jolly rancher in liquid form). This has a viscousness and heft that in combination with the sweetness makes me thing of syrup.

In the end I can't get past the candied apple character, it drowns out everything else and is overly sweet. This doesn't taste horrible, it doesn't have serious flavor flaws, it just is overly simplistic in its sweetness and not very good. This just isn't my cup of tea.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

My only previous experience with Lindemans is the fruit flavored lambis they brew, so this one is a bit different. It pours a clear light copper with a thin but lingering head. The aroma is fruity, maybe slightly cidery and sweet. The flavor is sweet upfront, with a kind of fruity quality. The fruitiness leads into nice tart and slightly sour flavors. There is a nice earthy funky flavor which combined with the tartness, lingers in my mouth. I am not too familiar with the style, but it is certainly an interesting beer, and not bad overall.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

From a 12 oz bottle. Dark Golden apple juice appearance. Head lasted briefly, but the beautiful carbonation keeps rising. Woody, sweet smell. Very light apple taste with a little tart aftertaste. Nice feel and very easy to drink. Not something for me to buy repeatedly, but nice to drink nonetheless.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured a apple juice gold color with light orange hues and a fizzy white head.

S: a light tarntess of sour oranges, a light barnyard funkiness and candi-sugar.

T: The initial flavor starts out sweet, with some candi-sugar notes before fading to a gentle funky tartness. There was some lemony citrus notes as well some sour green apples. A nice sweet and sour complexity with a light acidity.

M: light, a little thin on the tongue but finished fairly clean.

D: A solid example by style, nothing fancy, just a well brewed beer that was refreshing leaving you wanting more.

3.51/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Apple cider-like aroma with some initial corkiness. Some sweetness and candy-like notes in aroma as well.Lacking expected sour/acidic aroma and barnyardy notes.

Golden color. Very effervescent. Excellent clarity. Rocky, off-white head with excellent retention. Nice looking beer.

Sweet and sour flavor predominates. Very cider-like. Strong acetaldehyde (green apple) notes. Flavor is fairly one-dimensional for a gueuze; lacking in bracing sourness and barnyardy notes. Also seems to have some cork taint. Finishes with a fairly long, rhubarby sweet and sour flavor.

Medium body. Has a slightly syrupy, sugary mouthfeel. High carbonation. Lacks the tart/puckering finish the high acicity of a typical gueuze normally has.

Rather sweet and one-dimensional for a standard gueuze. Actually pretty drinkable aside from the cork taint, but, as with many Lindeman's beers, this is rather one-dimensional and sweet for its style.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

I am reviewing a bottle of the Lindemans Gueuze Foudroyante. The beer poured a clear golden color with a medium thickness head that runs away quickly and gives way to a little ring on the edge. Slight tart aroma, a bit funky but not too much. The taste is somewhat tart but a bit sweet as well. Sweeter that you usually get in a gueuze but drinkable and approachable for those not used to the style.

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A- A clear golden copper. Minimal head with a touch of lacing.

S- Sweet and tart. Citrus and green apple.

T- Extreme sweetness hits hard first. Green apple is what I can most take from it. Definitely some yeast character. Dry club soda like finish.

M- Full bodied and coating. Again, club soda like carbonation.

D- Not a favorite. My girlfriend liked it, but maybe because she loves Riesling wine.

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a virtually clear golden brown with a light tan head. Nose is an expected musty yeast with a sweet tone blanketing it. Flavor is sweeter than I expected with slight apple qualities as well. The sweet barely leans towards a tart edge...barely. Feel is decent. Nice carbonation. Drinkable, sure. I won’t be pouring it down the drain, but for gueuze, I’ll be going elsewhere in the future. Even with my limited experience on the style, I can tell that this one is not as "mature" or full in character as others are and can be.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Decanted carefully into a 3 Fontienen tumbler...hopefully that's not sacrilege. It has a fairly bright reddish amber tone, with flecks of suspended particles. A finger of foam bubbles up, and settles to a white skim, some lacing is present. The sediment gives it a slightly unrefined, dirty look. This isn't all bad considering the raw elements that are involved in it's production.

Sweet aroma, maybe some light wheat behind it, not much funk or sharpness at all. Very mild wet hay mustiness, possibly underripe berry also.

Mild tartness in the taste, but coupled with the sugar it reminds me of poorer versions of Flanders Reds, like Monk's Cafe or Petrus. It's really kind of dull, there's some honeyish taste in the aftertaste, but it's not dry like a traditional Oude Gueuze. Slightly doughy in the middle, but the taste is fleeting. Carbonation is light and fairly mellow. Dregs are like a shot of day-old apple cider. It could be quaffed, but that seems pretty out of character for a Gueuze. Seems like it's been back-sweetened.

The experience makes me wish I was drinking Cuvee Rene, as this was dull and underwhelming like plain yogurt. This "regular" Lindemans Gueuze is not so easy to find in Chicago, but not really worth drinking again, at $6/12 oz. bottle. Give me the Cantillon I crave for a dollar more.

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : gueuze, mousse faible et peu tenace, dégagement gazeux faible
Smell : nez fruité et sucré
Taste and mouthfeel : très douce au goût, acidulée et sucrée, peu d'amertume
Drinkability : une version de gueuze correcte mais sans plus

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Green 37.5cl bottle with a bright orange foil covering over the neck, dark and orange labels front and rear. Corked below the bottle top.

Poured into a Hougaerdse DAS tumbler.

Looks like a fizzy cider, amber with a small but solid white head, contsantly being replaced by the carbonisation below in the liquid.

Cooking apples aroma with the sugar already added and the mix is boiling. The appley aroma gets weaker as the beer warms, more subtle smells appear, sour notes, hops and yeast.

A lot sweeter than most Gueuze I have tried, which isn't a huge number. The apple aroma comes into the taste too, as do citric flavours, grapefruit and lemons, but not overly sour.

Tanginess of the citrus stays in the mouth and it is a fairly long stay, but there is an underlaying sweetness which for me takes away the normal Gueuze experience.

I have a feeling this has been produced for the mass market and is a not a Gueuze in the true sence of the style, drinkable without a doubt, but a long way from the sour, bitter old style Gueuze I like to think I can remember.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

Pours a relatively clear dark golden with just a slight head and no lacing to speak of. The nose is slightly sour with notes of grape must, lemon, and tangerine. A slight hit of sweetness on the end. Really quite sweet- much more so than the nose would suggest, approaching Faro territory. Sweet sour interplay, rather simple, with candi sugar, lemon and tangerine. Just the barest hit of funkiness. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly slick. Just okay, too sweet for the style and lacks complexity.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Definitely on the sweet side... and with a funkyness that is a tad off-putting... not as clean as other geuze's...

But pours from a 375ml bottle copper/straw, just slightly hazy.

The nose carries the distinctive lactic sour twang, just slightly vinegar-sweet, some caramel/toffee.

Taste is definitely on the sweet side, not quite cloying, but far from dry. Vinegar notes are present around the edges, green apple, sour cherries are faintly available, malt character very much in the background, complex, but just a tad too sweet.

Nicely carbonated, lifts relatively clean of the tongue, approaching spritzy... would work well as an aperitif, or as I served, with chicken with olives, tomato, and shallot in a gueuze reduction.

Drinkability would be higher if it weren't quite so sweet, this bottle went down quickly, but for the price I want something with this level of sophistication in the palate but without such a glaring weakness. That said, I'd love to have this around more often.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma: Grapefruit, caramel, toffee. Grapes, sour milk.

Looks: Copper in colour. Chunks floating... I'm going to assume that it is the yeast. Some head... then poof, it's gone, not even a thin cover left over.

Taste: Sweet & sour. This must have been sweetened. Tarte. Citrusy. Toffee. Buttery oak flavour.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Low carbonation.

Overall, I was sort of dissapointed in this, because I was hoping that it was not sweetened. It's not really my cup of tea... or Beer.

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

A - A solidly dense three finger head rises above this crystal clear amber brew. This is so purely clear, and so amber that I halfway expect to see a giant mesozoic mosquito frozen in time in my glass! Tons of lace sticks to the glass, and brings back a fat finger and a half of beautiful white foam. This is a beautiful beer!

S - I can smell the battery acid two feet from the glass, and as my nose approaches the glass, I can smell balsamic vinegar, beer battered fish, and some tart raspberry notes show up faintly in the background. This is much less astringent and harsh than other gueuzes that I've tried, and for some that may be seen as a weakness but I'm thankful for it. This also has the traditional gueuze barnyard notes(or what I think smells more like the big ape habitat at the zoo). This has enough nasal zing to make you wince, but not enough to make your eyes water.

T - Wow! This sure is sweet! I was expecting an overwhelming pucker, but this is not at all violent like I expect a gueuze to be. This is one of the most complex brews that I've had in quite a while. I can taste balsamic vinegar soaked beer battered fish (which is just about my favorite food on the planet), sugar cubes, under-ripe raspberry tartness, a load of zingy green apple skin, immature green grapes, sour-pucker candy, and a tiny dollop of honey. Damn! This is a world-class brew.

M - This is medium bodied with some really nice structure on the palate, and a very understated level of carbonation. This feels like a tannic red wine in my mouth, and the finish is surprisingly breif. This could use some more heft and astringency...it's very gentle.

D - This is scary. I could live on this stuff! I think that it would go well with anything from salads, chicken, steak, chocolate....this is one of the better food beers out there. I could down bottle after bottle of this stuff, but I'd be broke at these prices (I paid $4.99 for a 355ml bottle). If only I were a rich man...Sadly, price is a factor and the cost of this stuff will prevent me from buying it very often but I won't detract from the score just because I'm po'. Actually, this is so drinkable that I wish it had some characteristic that made me want to drink more slowly because at five bucks for this little bottle, I'm paying a dollar a minute at this rate.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Being a fan of the Gueuze I figured I would try this one which happens to be one of the most widely available.

A: Pours a nice cider brown kind of color. The head rushes to the top in tiny bubbles but dies down nicely. There is little fizz after the pour and tons of floaters in the bottle.

S: There is a nice fruity aroma. Green apples with a hint of sugar. There is a definite underlying sweetness which is pretty nice. Not really your usual Gueuze aroma..way more sweet.

T: Starts off with the sweetness of concentrated apple juice. There is a little tart funk in the background, but this is not the flavor of a good gueuze.

M: Despite the lack of bubbles after the pour it is still a lively brew. Pretty crisp and clean.

D: It is nice for one bottle and I actually liked the sweet taste. It is more of a fruit tasting beer than a gueuze.

Overall: Like I said I like the beer, too bad it’s not a traditional gueuze. If you want gueuze go elsewhere. If you want a nice sweet treat with a touch of funk give this one a try.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

I was in another gueuze mood, and this was what I could find.

Appearance was good - cidery looking, fizzy head.

Smell was quite nice...smelled like a tart caramel apple, and tastes like one too! Sour upfront with a good deal of residual sweetness competing against the nice oak-y drying. I don't know if I can pick out a great deal of Brett funk, but I get a yogurt-esque element, so perhaps some lactobacillus.

Carbonation was appropriate, maybe just a tad too sticky in the feel.

Easy-drinking gueuze, and an excellent intro into the style - definitely on the sweeter side of the style. That said, it goes down swimmingly, as does the other examples of the style I've tried. Hell, I'm tempted to never drink a white wine again. I wish more examples of gueuze were widely available over here!

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

this is my first lambic. i will start by saying i am not a fan of this time of beer. more of a carbonated champagne/wine to me. this did have good taste and carbonation and good mouthfeel. i just had to block out that i was expecting beer.

glad i tried it. always welcome new styles. i will not likely buy it or its style again. i have a bottle of Peche from them i will try but will not hold high expectations.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friend and I picked this lambic as an introduction to the style for two reasons: its availability in our area and its favorable mention in Oliver's "The Brewmaster's Table."

From our notes:

We popped the cork on this Belgian Lambic and were immediately hit by a sour/sweet aroma reminiscent of sparkling wine.

The carbonation was wonderful, filling the mouth with a tingle of bubbles and propelling aromatics of apple and honey tones.

It finished tart, but head a smooth overall mouthful.

At the end, we agreed that there was little point in serving wine when this is available. I didn't find the "funky" flavors that I was expecting from a lambic, so I am curious what I'll think once trying others.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a cloudy dark beige color lambic with a bunch of particle floating around and a medium foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of oak is more prominent then expected with some light tart note also noticeable. The barnyard factor is lighter then in the Cuvée René and is sorely miss. Taste is sweeter then I would have expected from a gueuze but it still provides a good deal of refreshment. Body is above average with low filtration and good carbonation. While being far from the real thing, this gueuze is still enjoyable on a hot summer day if maybe a tad too sweet.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

Amber colour, reminds me of some sherry generous oaked wines. Nice shades when you hold it to the light. Good head with a silky lace. Aroma is pungent and sour, barnyard, ripe fruits. something in it reminds of a blue cheese. Very complex, some fruits on it too, and champagne like. Tart flavor, mouth is dry and sour, some fruits, roasted almonds or hazelnuts, some barnyard too.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

12 oz. green champagne bottle. It pours into my flute glass orangey/bronze, with light carbonation and a thin, whitish head that leaves light lacing. Quite aromatic, with mouth-watering tart and acidic notes, along with tangy wheat and a light musty character. On the palate, it is tart and lightly sweet, with a crisp fruitiness (melon/apple?/grape?) a lemony bite, mild cork and oak, a dash of hops, salt?, and some wild/funky notes. The body is medium with light carbonation, smooth yet dry, and it has a sweet, lingering finish. Overall a quite drinkable, but mild gueuze - one packed with flavor, but it's not quite tart or wild enough to fully stimulate my senses.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Into a tulip glass, pours a bright, somewhat murky copper amber, a light white head recedes to a thin, sparse film, delicate lacing in streaks. The aroma is tart, sweet, and sour, but a bit sparse. Maybe interesting, but it doesn't come out much. The taste is much more expressive, lots of tart fruits, drying from the start for the mouth, some obvious Belgian yeastiness, lots of carbonation all adding to this effect of lambic-y goodness. I personally haven't had that many sour Belgians, but I'm definitely exploring it now, and am finding (surprisingly) that I like em, and this one isn't an exception, a pretty good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into the most suitable glass I could find (a Hennepin glass). Appearance is good, not great, but good. I like the ruby-tinted honey color, and the head was a good two fingers at first, receding to a nice sheet. No lacing. The smell is decent, with a good bit of wheat, some candi sugar and that classic wild tartness. The taste is not quite what I had hoped for. It has a bit of the real lambic 'bite' to it, but not enough for my taste, and it is further negated by an overbearing sweetness of apples and orange juice. The mouthfeel is very carbonated, and again a bit overly cloying with the sweets. It is pretty drinkable, aside from the (guess what) sweet. Overall good, not great.

Lindemans Gueuze from Brouwerij Lindemans