Lindemans Gueuze | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
good
Read the review
Lindemans GueuzeLindemans Gueuze

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz green bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: orange in color, fairly clear with strong white head.

Smell: a very pungent smell of grains.

Taste: First thing is a very sweet malty taste then a hint of lemon tart. the yeast gives it a very pleasant nutty taste.

Mouthfeel: very effervescent, medium body, crisp and dry.

Drinkability: my first gueuze, i liked it and will search out others.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Nice clear orange with a decent (though not huge) white head that doesn't stick around long.

S- Fairly tart and a little funky. Somewhat vinous with sour grapes and vinegar along with a touch of barnyard. A metallic aroma lingers in the background.

T- Nice balance of sweet and sour. Vinegary tartness up front quickly gives way to a pleasant malty sweetness. Cherries and sour apples come through in the flavor, with just a hint of that barnyard funk in the background to give it some character.

M- Smooth and even a little creamy. Could use some more carbonation.

D- One will do me just fine. It's only 4%, but I wouldn't want to drink a whole lot of it. A little too sweet I think.

Not bad at all. I'm not overly familiar with the style, but this was pretty good. I haven't had any of the more traditional gueuzes, so I don't know how this one stacks up. The flavor reminded me a lot of Duchesse de Bourgogne. I'd recommend it to fans of that beer and as a decent intro to sour beers.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Opened this 12 oz. green corked and capped bottle with a satisfying pop. Gently poured this undated green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. A 1/2" of white head sat atop a clear dull yet pale amber body. The small head faded to a ring that left no lacing.

Smell was cotton candy. There was a faint vinegar aroma. Lambic-lite.

Taste was sugary sweet yet somewhat balanced by a fruity sourness. Peaches and apple cider. Drying finish.

Mouthfeel was sparkling and medium/full bodied.

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%

App: Clear golden beer look with white bubbles, great lacing and good carbonation.

Smell: Almost skunky, rubber tire, slight fruitiness.

Taste: Crisp, cidery and a little like the dentist's office.

Mouthfeel: Tart, smooth, good carbonation and crisp. Pretty fantastic as it cleans itself off the palate. I'm impressed.

Drinkability: This is a very appealing geuze (it doesn't smell like farts like others i've tried). I'd try this on tap, and imagine it's much better aged even.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: your traditional amber color, go figure. lacing along the sides of the glass as you drink. a nice thin ring of head and a steady trickling of carbonation rises.

smell: first whiff - i got skunk. second - distinct mary jane. third - a good party. seriously though... smells a lot like how i remember my dad's house smelling when i was a kid - mix of sweetness, beer and good ole mj.

taste: sweet and sour that makes me want chinese food.

mouthfeel: a tiny bit bitter, but nothing to shake a stick at. nice carbonation - fizz feels fun.

drinkability: great overall balance making it pretty drinkable.

3.44/5  rDev -5%

No psssst or plop when I removed the cork.

Poured from the bottle into a champagne flute. Slightly hazy. Little fizz. Smells sugary and spoiled like overly ripe fruit.

Tastes good through. Nice and tart. Little or no hops. Very brisk, crisp, and clean. Maybe a little bit of old sock.

Feels light and drinks OK.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

While I enjoy Lindemans' flavoured lambics, most of them seem little more to me than flavoured soda for adults. Because of this, I was unsure of how "true to the style" their gueuze would be. I was delightfully surprised with it. Its colour was a bit darker than I was expecting, pouring and orange copper with a very slight haze to it. The head was slightly off-white and loosely knit. It faded away rather quickly leaving behind a ring of lace around the edges and an abstract patch work of frost over the surface. CO2 streamed quickly upward, and for quite some time, actually. Smell seemed very typical for the most part, with special attention paid to the "sour" element that always seems to be present. Taste, too, seemed particularly sour, and delightfully sweet. Not bad. I'm sure there are much better examples of this style out there, but this is decent. Thanks to Ding for bringing me this.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Honey in color, nice white two finger head that has decent retention but leaves behind not much in the way of lacing - maybe my glass was still wet from washing when I poured. Attractive color.

Smell: Slightly sweet, slightly sour smelling... A bit worrying, I'm not a big fan of the super-sweet lambics I've had so far. Not much in the way of hops or malt character, but a hint of barnyard saison-like funk.

Taste: Sweet at the tip of the palate, but quickly supplanted by sourness and bitterness. Brett character at the finish that definitely reminds of Orval. Hops just for bittering (and perhaps preservative!), not for flavor. Finishes dry, which I appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light. Well-carbonated.

Drinkability: I was a bit nervous, as this is the first gueuze I've had. Much more drinkable than the other lambics I've had. I'll have to explore this style in more depth when the opportunity arises... I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this served as a good introduction for me and left me with a favorable impression of the style.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Very nice. Much more friendly than I expected. Last week I enjoyed the Cantillon Vigneronne and I expected more similarities. There not even remotely close. I have had the Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René and Cantillon Gueuze Monk's Café Cuvee, and both of these were quite intense. This Gueuze is actually quite approachable and rather sweet in its own tart dryness.

Allowed to warm and then served in a snifter.

Presentation: Cork cap foil the works, just on a 12oz bottle instead. ("cute" says my wife).

Appearance: A careful pour yields a clear body that appears copperish caramel on the table but when back lit becomes even more transparent and red hues stand out. It has a decent sudsy off white head that fade to a frothy partial cap covering some of the beer far into it. The lacing is here and there spotty.

Smell: Effervescent. Musky and tart but with a surprising sweet malt wood and apple attribute showing through in the nose as well.

Taste: It seems to have a candy like caramel yeasty base upon which the tart Lambic attributes play with the palate and the pucker reflex in the cheeks. It has tart apple and damp woody attributes along with some Gueuze funkiness. After the swallow I keep smacking my lips as if they were sticky. There are loads of flavors in the aftertaste as well as running across the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Little carbonation gives it a slick smooth feeling in the mouth. Medium body. Leaves behind a dry stickiness that is also somehow sweet and pleasant. Puzzling, but nice.

Drinkability: I have enjoyed all the Gueuze I have had so far. This is nothing like the others though. This one is certainly more drinkable than some in the style but it is simply a style built for sipping not session drinking.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a clear golden honey color with a creamy head that quickly diminishes to a ring. The smell is a combination of citrusy fruit combined with an earthy, hay aroma. The taste is a pleasant balance of sour/acidic (green apple) and mildly sweet (honey). The Lindeman's Gueuze is light bodied but the carbonation is a little low for this style, giving it a slightly thicker mouthfeel. The finish is dry with an enjoyable tartness that lingers between sips. Overall a good beer that is very drinkable, but not one you're going to have a lot of in one sitting. I think it would go well with a light shellfish meal.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Been wanting to try this style. Bought at a Whole Foods Store. Light Amber in Color not wat i was expecting. Light head. Smells like most Lambics I have ever had. Begins light and sweet, finishs with a heavier grapefruit like sourness. Very light carbonation. Very easy to drink.

Crazy wild and tart. A very nice dessert beer with a different flavor. I really enjoyed this beer. I would like to try more from this style. Wild yeast still in the bottle.

Not as funky as I expected, but very sweet and tart. Very nice funky smell. It was worth the 5 bucks I paid for it.

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

Very light hint of sour brettanomyces aroma. Otherwise there's a lot of sugary sweetness in the nose. Seems way too "clean" for gueze.

Deep orange color with a great white head that leaves nice lacing. Lots of rising carbonation bubbles, a very good looking beer.

Well, first thing I taste is sugary, table sugar, not malt, not malt syrup, but sugar. All that sugar is hiding a low level lambic sourness that comes through on the back end. The aftertaste is also sugary. Hop flavor and bittering seems non-existing. There's non of the bacterial or funk flavors that I'm really looking for in a lambic. Really, that sugary flavor is unpleasant.

Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Very lively in the mouth.

Drinkability is pretty low. I can't think of a food I'd want to pair this with except maybe ice cream. If I wanted a soda, I'd drink one. If I wanted an alcopop (which this tastes quite a bit like) I'd have my head examined. If I want a lambic, I'd buy something else.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a brilliant coppered amber with a wonderful white lacing and thin head that clings to the glass. Aroma wreaks strongly of brie cheese and mildly of battery acid and candied sugar. Not nearly as funky as most Geuze. Taste is very sweet and faro like, almost like I would imagine a lemon faro would be. Candied sugar and citrus are dominant. Funk is so mild. Very tasty and nice but not terribly gauze like. Not funky and nasty enough for me. Mouthfeel is creamy and sweet rather than dirty and sour. Back of the palate gets hit with carbonation and some pleasant sourness. Overall, very enjoyable but not too exciting nor authentic. Also, too costly.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Never seen a beer that is both corked AND capped. This was.

Poured into champagne flute.

A: Hazy golden-yellow with a steady stream of carbonation. Decent head that caps off the last finger of available glass. Starts to recede quickly, then becomes a thin blanket of foam.

S: Unmistakably Belgian. Has a yeasty kick at first that gives way to a more vinous-like aroma. There are hints of oak and some apparent sourness, as well. Has a very outdoors-y aroma, like grass, hay, straw, flowers.

T: Slight grassiness up front, and you can already tell that there's some tartness building. Bit of an oakiness as the sourness/tartness builds in intensity. You can tell you'll feel this in that "sensitive sour zone" down where your lower jaw meets your ear. Finish is very rustic, pleasantly sour, but mostly fruity and tart. Fruit is vague, but it's got a hint of crisp apple, some white wine grape, and a bit of ripe melon. There's no hop bitterness at all (despite the fact these beers are ridiculously hopped, albeit with aged hops), but there's a long tail that's part fruit, part wood, and part saison-y funkiness.

M: Crisp, dry, and wonderful.

D: True story: the fruit flies that were hanging around the bunches of grapes in my kitchen immediately gravitated to this beer once I had it open. And it was immediate, like within seconds.

Now on to the beer. As with many Belgian beers, I'm torn when I get to the "Drinkability" part. I would absolutely not drink a ton of these, despite the low abv%. But it's crisp, pleasant, very complex, well-made, and relatively easy to find. I'd get it again for sure.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not the biggest gueuze/lambic fan, though I appreciate the yeasty/sour element. It's when they get ultra-tart, like bad vinegar, that I turn off. But this one is about as good an ambassador for the style as any I've had.

Nice cloudiness with a thin head. A large population of bubbles in the hazy golden sea.

Aroma is incredibly subtle. A musty odor masks a citrusy component that tries to find its way through.

The flavors are much more friendly to the palate than some of the harsher, more sour gueuzes I've tried. There's an excellent balance of sweetness and sourness, with just a touch of that sweaty yeastiness that helps define the style. Nothing overly acidic, but nothing overly saccharine either. Along with a wonderfully creamy mouthfeel, I would most definitely pick this up again. I did rank it a bit low on the drinkability meter, as I find these hard to drink any more frequently than every now and then, no matter how good the flavor (and this particular offering delivers well on that front).

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Brew pours copper with a large, quickly disippating white head. Brilliant clarity.

Aroma: Winelike, some lactic acid notes. Malt is noticible as well. Plums and pears are abundant in the background.

Taste: Sweet malt presence initially, acidity follows towards the end of the sip and into the aftertaste. The lactic character helps to bring out fruitlike characteristics (noticably grape and plum--think the tartness of a plum close to the skin). Bitterness really doesn't come through until the aftertaste, and it mingles well with the acidity.

Mouthfeel: Seems to have a bit of body for a gueuze. I was also expecting a bit more acidity and carbonation to the brew.

Drinkability: The maltiness balances well with the acidic bite, and the low abv makes it a refreshing hot-day brew.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle into a snifter, ingredients on label.

Pours with deep amber hues, slightly cloudy. Decent egg-shell colored head with mediocre retention. Settles into a rim along the glass.

Very sour aromas come from the glass, almost like vinegar. Somewhat of a musty cellar smell.

Very intense tartness with a light fruity trail. Sweet flavors tango with bitter flavors, creating complexity.

Very crisp feeling which leads to a dry finish with no lingering flavors. Slightly acidic.

Not as strong as other beers in the style, making it a good introduction for someone new to the style.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a dark amber with worm high lights just beneath the head, which slowly dissipates. I was expecting Champagne like effervescence, which this does not produce. The smell is pleasant, slight sent of grapes, like fermented cider, citrus and apple skins. The sent also has a minor metallic note, however this is not over powering or displeasing. The taste seems more tame than other lambics I've had. The others I've had seem more vinegary, or kombucha like, which I am told is desirable. Maybe my taste is just under developed, but this is more my speed at this time. I've also been told that this lambic is made particulary to be sold to wider commercial market. All and all this is a pleasant beer light and pleasing. I would buy this again.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

This is my first lambic experience, so I will try to be as open-minded as possible in this review. Poured into a matching Lindemans flute with a clear gold and thin white lacing for a head. Lots of bubbles throughout.

Nose is strong bitter and sour yeasts. Very grassy but a hint of sweet caramel as well. Very tarty citrus notes also.

I was a little shocked by my first taste, but in a good way. Very warm tarty and crispy lemon perfectly balanced by a sweet malt. Sour, but not overly so.

Very warm and smooth mouthfeel. Somewhat creamy, yet very sharp at the same time. High carbonation and easily drinkable. I think I'm the newest convert to lambics. Would definitely recommend this to any beer drinker. It's different, but good.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer pours out of the smaller bottle a dark clear orange with a thin film of white head.

Smells of dry pasty wheat, both powdered and brown sugar and a funky sour yeast. I’m also getting a little sour pear and plumb.

Tastes of a cherry and apple sweetness with a musky, cider-like sour plumb and tart cherry. As I drink, a dry earthy and woody fruity dryness drifts up into my nose. Finishes with some under ripe pear. Also, I’m getting a distinct olive oil here too.

The mouth feel is light in bodied with a tingly miniature carbonation that leaves my mouth dry in the finish.

This one’s a good sipper, but nothing too amazing.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Clear, copper orange in color with a puffy white head that sticks like billowy spiderwebs in my Allagash chalice.

Aroma is very lively with tart apple vinegarette, apricot, lemon peel, damp basement mustiness, some light farmy notes, and cidery ripe fruit.

Taste is much gentler than some other examples of Gueuze, yet maintrains nice complexity. Sweet and sour cider vinegarette, mild malty sweetness, apricot, melon, and light citrus. There's just enough funky/pungent lambic character and wet celler notes to keep you interested. It's just a little less sweet than something like Dutchesse de Borgogne, which makes it pretty sweet for the style. But is is delicious anyway, I actually like the balance on display here. Mondo delish with huge drinkability.

Body is rather light and thin, with a bubbly, prickly texture and slick, wet mouthfeel.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

Bottle corked and capped, foil wrapped. Pours a clean copper orange color with very little, if any, yeast particles visible. Big white head that lasts ... fine lacing in the goblet I've poured into. Nose is complex and strange, but in a good way. Definitely a musty (read: old damp room) smell, that actually works for this style. Sweet as well ... bittersweet fruits and straw. Palate is sweet and sour, but maybe the sweet wins out here. Slight Vinegar-like character which causes the mouth to water ... something I actually love in a Lambic. Fruity and quite smooth through the vinegar acidity. Warms to a smoother malt backbone. Finishes quite dry and lively with aggressive carbonation levels. Not being an expert in the Gueuze style, I can't say how it stacks up to it's competition, but I do know I like this on it's own merits. Best Lindeman's product I've had, by far. Makes me want more and that's got to be a good thing. If you're not familiar with a Gueuze, this is probably a good, safe place to start the journey.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Capped and corked green glass bottle, I hope it is fresh so it isn't skunked though with the three year old hops it might not be an issue.
Poured a clear amber with a thin white head that subsided quickly.
The aroma was full of acetaldehyde and smelled of Brett as well. Lots of green apple and barnyard character with a slight sourness.
The flavor is very clean for a lambic as there is very little lactic sourness but it is still very complex. It begins with a sharp sour bite that segues into an applelike flavor and then a light sweetness blends into the barnyard flavor and the beer finishes clean with a touch of the green apple flavor. The finish is very sharp and lends a clean finish. This is a very mild lambic but it is still a good lambic as it allows an approchable introduction to the style.

Appearance: Medium golden-copper color, very clear, with a moderate, persistent white head, thick broken lacing, and slight slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Spicy aroma, with sweet apple rind being prominent, and lesser notes of yeast, honey, and earth.

Taste: Long having been a fan of Lindeman's Framboise, I clearly recognize the earthy yeast undercurrent of this beer. The taste challenges the powers of description, it is slightly earthy, with prominent yeast notes, dark grape skins, and an undercurrent of honey and spices. An apple cider-like presence is present throughout the taste, that is sweet more than tart. There are also wood and citrus notes. In all, remarkably complex and beguiling.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and very full.

Drinkability/notes: A fine example of the style, certainly not to be missed..

Presentation: Packaged in a custom 355 ml (12 ounce) embossed green glass bottle with a cork and pry-off cap, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice

Lindemans Gueuze from Brouwerij Lindemans