Framboise

SCORE
Very Good
FramboiseFramboise
Notes: 2.5-4.0% ABV

The appearance of this exceptional beer is matched only by its taste! To make our Framboise, we add raspberry juice to our lambic. That gives it a delicate fruity aroma and a beautiful dark pink colour, just like the dress I wore to our cousin Willy's wedding. (But that's of no interest to you since you undoubtedly don't know Willy). Framboise is served as an aperitif, but I also use it in cooking. And when I don't finish the bottle in my preparations, I finish it in my glass.
Reviews: 1,075 | Ratings: 2,910
Reviews by Premo88:
4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

25.4 oz. bottle poured into tulip

L: gorgeous dark rasberry red that's 100% opaque -- light can't pass through it; 1-inch head of pink-red foam that sticks a little; keeps a very pretty collar and almost full skin of foam; if you like red, this beer is a work of art; slight bit of lacing ... great-looking brew ... halfway into the glass it's clearing up only on the very edges

S: light tart rasberries, very sweet but also with a vague hint of something sour; if you try hard, you can imagine a bit of barn must, but it's only barely there; tart apples, cranberries

T: tart, sweet rasberries ... almost sugary sweet but balanced by a huge sour presence, especially on the back end; like a rasberry-lemonade soda, no alcohol presence at all; at times the sweet is almost too much, but it's consistently backed up by the big sour flavor; everything comes very clean ... there's no obvious farmhouse/wild ale kind of musty barn or funk flavor showing up

F: fantastic ... what I'd expect out of a good Belgian ale, lots of carbonation to fill out a relatively light brew

O: I'm not ashamed to admit I love it ... very fruity, full of rasberry flavor, bordering on rasberry candy sweetness, with just enough sour flavor to remind you it is, after all, beer; it's plenty good enough that I'll try more of Lindemans beers, including this one from time to time ... and definitely during the summer -- this would pair perfectly with our Texas heat

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours ruby red with pinkish foamy head. Smells like raspberry extract. Tastes like a sour raspberry gummy, very tart. I love sour candy and this is very similar.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured dark red with a small pink colored head. A thin layer of bubbles remained on the surface. A light to moderate amount of carbonation is evident from the rising bubbles.
S: There's a moderate aroma of sweet raspberries.
T: Like the smell, there are sweet flavors of raspberries. The sweetness in the taste is not overpowering and there's even a bit of sourness in the finish.
M: It feels rather light-bodied on the palate and somewhat bubbly (not that syrupy).
D: This beer is very easy to drink. I would definitely have this again and pair it with a dessert at dinner or some Belgian waffles at Sunday brunch.

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

Someone brought this bottle over awhile back, finally decided to bite the bullet and pop it. Initial aroma makes me instantly question my decision.

Dark red body yields tons of white head. Great retention; sticky lace. Honestly gorgeous for a lambic.

Unfortunately there are more qualities to this beer than appearance. And my god is that smell offensive. Strong aroma of fruit extract blended with cherry & raspberry cough syrup. Abhorrent.

Taste is much better, but still not good. Way overly sweet; tastes like a liquified Jolly Rancher. Sugary, fake fruits dominate. Please god, make it end.

The sad truth is that this is what most people think of when mention the word Lambic. My usual response is this: "Lindemans is to Lambics as Chef Boyardee is to Italian Food." I stand by this assertion.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It tastes good, but as a dessert beer I can't consider it a beer. My friends who truly hate beer enjoyed it, saying it was almost like a champagne/wine cooler. Easy to drink and a crowd pleaser for *most* women (excluding me, I prefer more classic beer).

3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The beer in general is very sweet and syrupy of artificial raspberry, not even jam. Lacking in tart quality and depth, this is a beginner brew, but unsatisfying for most.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

There is a lot of similarities between this beer on tap and in the bottle. But, there are some distinct differences. The beer is just as tart, sour, sweet, and tangy as ever, but the bottle version seems to hold a more viscous body, mainly to the lack of induced carbonation that I get from the tap. Less fresh, but more musky. More of a Flander's red flavor and texture in general. A little more dusty, woodsy, vineous, and earthy; maybe from the cork and complex cellering. Though fresher and ripe with fruit from the tap, I prefer the older and more raw flavor from the bottle. Both are winners.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: frothy, bright, but deep red
Aroma: exactly like raspberry jam
Taste: raspberry jam, sparkling, but not overpowering. good sweet vs. tart balance.
Definitely would drink this again.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

A - Pours a beautiful deep raspberry red color with a fizzy 1 inch light red head. There is nice ring lacing present as the beer is sipped.

S - Smells of rich raspberry, funky earth notes, and slight vinegar.

T - Delicious sweet/sour raspberry with a slight vinegar acidic flavor.

M - Good fizzy carbonation makes for a very crisp and smooth drinking beer.

D - A most excellent fruit lambic. I buy this one very often. I know that a lot of people have said that this is too sweet but I don't agree. I think that overall this is the best fruit lambic made by Lindemans and probably my favorite overall example of the style.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an opaque dark pink with a frothy pink head that fades to nothing.

Raspberry and sour cherry in the nose.

Tastes like liquid pie filling, raspberry, slightly sour finish.

Medium-thick mouthfeel.

Nice blend of flavors here, a good change from my usual fare.

1.73/5  rDev -55.9%

I feel like a freshman in college again. Pours a mostly cloudy dark ruby red color. A very pinkish red head that was a bit fizzy. Decent retention though did not last through the tasting and no lace to speak of.

The nose is sweet with an almost imitational raspberry smell to it. More along the lines of a wine cooler than anything else. The raspberries dominate any malt or yeast aroma. Some minor vinegar notes but very limited and one dimensional overall.

The taste is very wine cooler-esk as well. Very sweet up front that just lingers into the finish. A big under attenuation note for sure. The raspberries comes out but does blend with a imitational furity note. Some minor malty notes but limited and really cant pick out anything minus the fruit. Some sour notes more along the acidic side but limited. Looking for more for a lambic.

The body is sweet, way to sweet. Looking for a much drier body.

I understand that this is a very low gravity beer and emphasizes the fruit aspect, but overall this is note enjoyable at all. Way too sweet, fake fruit notes, and limited beer notes makes this a drain pour.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

My thoughts on this "beer..." I would more classify this drink as a slightly alcoholic soda. Don't get me wrong, the taste is VERY good. Very sweet, very good dessert drink. This would be a great gift to a person that does not like beer, but you insist that there is one they would like and buy them this. As long as you insist to call this beer, you win that argument.

However, the reason I give it a 3.5 overall is because this barely qualifies as beer. I wouldn't even call it beer. Yea yea, lambic yeast, blah blah. Drink it and look me in the eye and call it beer. Do you like alcohol with your beer? Then don't buy this.

As a mildly alcoholic drink, this is one of the best. As a beer, not great!

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer pours a dark raspberry red color with a thin pink head that stays on the beer. The aroma is raspberries but there is a hint of some complex esters in the background. Taste is sweet raspberries balanced with an acidity tartness. This is sweeter than your typical lambic, the fruit flavor covers up the funk you usually find in a lambic. This beer is too sweet for me to drink them all night long. A decent beer, and a great introduction for the style. True sour fiends will find it too sweet though.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle poured into a flute

Bottle had red foil over the top, pop top, and then a cork hidden underneath the cap. Pretty cool. First time having this in a bottle, that was a neat little surprise.

Pours a rich, opaque, hazy purple with a big pink head that bubbles up to at least two fingers. Settles down nicely and has some staying power.

Smells of rich, fresh raspberries, with a sweet yet tart smell that lingers in the background.

Lip smacking tart! Fresh sweet raspberries with a sweet malty presence. Finish is dry with a light sour slick that coats the mouth.

Very light and bubbly on the tongue. Kinda has a spritzy feeling.

This is a very drinkable beer as long as you can handle the tartness.

This should be a staple in your beer cellar.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

From notes - enjoyed this earlier in the week with my sister-in-law while on vacation.

A-Pours a clear reddish brown with one finger pinkish head that leaves modest lacing on the glass.

S-Raspberries, ripe, sweet raspberries.

T-Nice balance of tart and sweet raspberry with some mild hop bitterness. Very fruity and festive.

M-Very smooth and well carbonated. Feels too good to be beer.

D-I like the lambic style, especially framboise. This is very good. Beer-thirty can be very early in the day with this beer. Heck, I could drink this with breakfast. Yum. Wish it weren't so expensive.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a small bottle into a proper Lindemans glass. Color is clear and dark reddish-amber with a really fine, tight pinkish-white head that leaves some outstanding lacing on the sides of the glass. The nose has some strong raspberry notes. They hit me hard the moment the cork was out of the bottle. I don't get any funk or barnyard notes as the nose is incredibly sweet - almost like raspberry pancake syrup. I can almost taste it just from the nose.

The mouthfeel is firm and lively from high carbonation and the flavor is super intense. There's a slight wheaty graininess that supports sweet and tart fruity flavors. The sweetness and the tartness are wonderfully balanced, with the sweetness coming out just a bit ahead and lending a bubble-gum like flavor. In the back of the palate, the flavors get a little woody and the tartness starts to take over, leading to a fairly acidic, mouth-drying finish. As the beer warms, the sourness becomes a little more assertive.

I have had this beer a few times over the years and finally got around to reviewing it. It might not appeal to fans of super sour lambics (or people for whom availability equals mediocrity), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a marvelous mid-afternoon treat on a hot Saturday afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%

One of my last beverages on a world tour of beers, I normally wouldn’t give this a go. Served in a Lindeman’s champagne flute and had a luminous claret, mild haze, fluffy pink head.

Hefty grenadine and raspberry aroma filled my nostrils.

Syrup sweet raspberry flavor up front with a tartness that added certain likeability. The finish is syrupy sweet, very overpowering and reminds me why I don’t dig lambics.

The feel was velvet. Drinkabilty? I didn’t finish this and gave it to a friend. I’m not saying it was terrible just not my liking. I try to be fair even with my displeasure in Lambics.

Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans