Lindemans Framboise | Brouwerij Lindemans

2.5-4.0% ABV

Added by Todd on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 2,834 |  Reviews: 1,054
3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

12 fl oz, poured into a tulip glass.

I've been quite sick of late, so since I'm feeling a little better, I figured I'd give myself a small test with a beer that's not too high in the ABV department. Off we go...

A: Nice enough - raspberry colored with a 3 cm pink head that dissolves quickly into lace.It definitely looks like a framboise. And now, to see if the nose knows...

S: It smells of rasberries and sugar. The sweetness is malty, rather than definitive of raspberry.

T: Wow, this is sweet. Immediately after, wow, this is reasonably tart. The sweetness and tartness of the raspberry is overcome by the thickness of sweet, as it were. But it's not just raspberry; the tartness also seems to be lemony in nature. It's kind of like when people kill champagne by adding different fruits to it.

M: Light- to medium-bodied, reasonable carbonation, sweet/tart finish, rolls over the palate in a thick way.

O: Good, not outstanding. It has a lot going for it, but there are better framboise lambics out there. It would have gone well with a nice grilled cheese sandwich or a chili dog.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

A - An Amber Red color with a huge pinkish head and a snowstorm of bubbles.

S - Extremely fruity raspberry aroma. Has the smell of fresh picked raspberries.

T - Has a champagne-like flavor with light and refreshing raspberry flavor and a slight sourness.

M - Very light bodied and very dry. The bubbles almost dance on your tongue.

O - A very nice change of pace from your typical craft beer. Has a nice raspberry sweetness to it, but the amount of carbonation in this lambic balances the sweetness very nicely. Many fruit beers are so sweet and have very little carbonation to balance out the sweetness, so they just feel so heavy and the sweetness is almost unbearable. Not the case with this beer. It is very light and refreshing. Nice Job Lindemans

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 2" pink head. Dark body looks pretty much like raspberry syrup. Smells mildly of raspberries but nothing else. Taste is pretty strongly of sour raspberry and it's strong enough to strike me as syrupy. Raspberry lovers must go nuts for this, but to me this is more raspberry syrup than it is a beer. It's interesting that compared to their Kriek scores in BA the Kriek scored higher among the BA management than the BA users, and the Framboise had it reversed. I'd side with the BA management. I think the Kriek is a little more interesting, whereas this example is pretty much just fruit syrup.

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured (repeatedly) into a champagne flute from a 750 ml bottle.

Appearance: Deep red with a foamy, pink head. Nice, almost champagne level of carbonation initially, which decreased fairly quickly.

Smell: Sweet raspberry, just a hint of sourness.

Taste: Solid but not overwhelming raspberry flavor. Sweet, but balanced well by the sourness. Lingering notes of something slightly tart which built as I drank more.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy to drink.

Overall: I found this to be a pleasant beer to drink with a lot of interesting character. I liked this less well, however, than the New Glarus Raspberry Tart which I had recently. I found the raspberry flavor in that to be more pronounced and the feel of the beer to be less cloying.

Appearance: Raspberry red with no light shinning in with a frothy white-red frothy head that goes down to a lacing that clings tight to the edge.

Smell: Sweet raspberry and lambic sourness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet and delicious with a lighter body that seems to get sweeter the more you drink it. Sourness blends equally well with the sweetness. Smooth and light with an even taste.

Overall: I've never meet a girl who did not like this beer and those women who say they hate beer, I'm quick to recommend this to. Has never failed as they always leave with a smile on their face. As for men, I drink this on a regular basis when I don't want to fell bogged down with beer carbs...I guess you could say that this is my "light" beer. Oh so lovely!

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sets the standard for this style. Pours a deep ruby raspberry red with a thin pink head, high carbonation, and fast fade. Sticky pink lace.

The aroma is amazing. Pure raspberry with some funky yeast notes.

Full on raspberry, champaign, and hints of funk. Tart and richly sweet.

This would be awesome on some vanilla ice cream.

A definite rich and sweet tart sipper. The example of its style.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lindeman's is the standard-bearer of lambic brewers, and their framboise is no exception. Tasting like a delicious combination of champagne and raspberries, this beer is the perfect drink to order almost any girl on a date. And if you're like me, it's pretty difficult to resist stealing a sip or two for yourself!

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've never realized before just how lot the ABV on this is, interesting.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Lindeman's Fluted glass. no freshness date.

This pours a darker reddish color with a nice light reddish white head. The smell is sweet, and fruity, I'm not sure it reminds me of raspberries. The feel is light. The taste is sweet and tart, a little bit of raspberries, a little artificial, but good enough, I do like the tartness. I get it maybe once a year, its too sweet for me to have anymore than that, but its not in any way bad.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%

Served into a tulip. very dark cherry color with a purple tinted head. not real foamy just bubbly from high carbonation.

Smell sweet sugar and berry.

taste is sweet and raspberry like that finished with sharp tart notes. pretty good.

mouth feel was light to medium bodied and very fizzy.

overall i liked it. more like a sparking wine... not really in my opinion a "BEER" but was worth trying it and it was good.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Had on tap in a slender glass at Mahar's Public Bar (Albany, NY) on 7/26/11.

I've never been crazy about lambics, because they're often far too sweet for me, but at the end of the evening I decided to have a sip of the bold crimson stuff that is Lindemans Framboise.

A- Deep purple/crimson with pink head/lacing. Very attractive stuff.

S- Raspberries, raspberries, and more raspberries abound in the aroma. Tart and sugar.

T- Essentially, it is exactly as one would expect based on the color and nose of this brew. Sweet raspberries with a hint of tart, juice, and young wine flavors. There is no hint of alcohol taste. In fact, you'd likely not believe the drink was alcoholic if you didn't know what it was. This is very much a dessert beverage; I can't imagine anyone making this his or her "regular" libation.

M- Light and bubbly.

O- I rarely drink lambics, but this is the one I'd look for were I craving one.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance - hazy fizzy ruby color with one finger of pale pink head that subsides quickly.

Smell - vibrant fruity pomegranate, raspberries, blackberries and cranberries. You can smell the sugar and the sour/tartness. Yeast has an almost yogurty aroma.

Taste - acidic, tart, sweet, and nothing like any beer I've ever had. I've had lambics before but because of the low alcohol content and abundance of fruit this drinks like sparkling juice mixed with raspberries. The yeast profile is like that of a sparkling wine. Begins both fruity, sour, and tart with tons of jollly rancher like raspberry and pomegranate, grows sweeter in the middle and finishes tart and slightly dry/tannic with a touch of funkiness.

Mouthfeel - feel is bubbly and effervescent with lots of carbonation. The body is light and young

Overall - I'm relatively new to lambics but I quite enjoyed this one. It was not particularly complex but it was supremely refreshing in a small quantities and very unbeer-like.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

I have tasted Fruit Lambics during tastings at various places. Many of them tasted like carbonated Kool-Aid. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one where I drank the whole bottle.

Poured from a capped and corked bottle with red tinfoil around the neck into my Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel flute. Pours a dense dark red with a big delicately bubbling pink head. Good retention and good patchy lacing.

Huge aroma of fresh raspberries...could smell it without even picking up the glass. That was a good thing because without the aroma, the only thing I would be focusing on would be the pink head and its resemblance to Bud Chelada (a truly foul brew).

The taste is as good as the smell. Fresh raspberries up front, sweet but not annoyingly so. Early on, the tartness kicks in to make this a nicely balanced and very tasty drink.

Mouthfeel is good...carbonation is spot on...crisp but yet delicate feel. Tartness is just right on the tongue.

Overall this is a very refreshing, light and tasty summertime beer. It would go well with light snacks or dessert.

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Handed off to me a very nice deep ruby or pomegranate with an inch blush head, which proved to have pretty decent longevity and cling. The beer is fairly clear with lots of carbonation. It has an extremely fruity nose filled with the strawberry, but also cherry and raspberry notes. There's a bit of wheat cracker in the mix, as well. There's very tart strawberry and raspberry flavors right out of the gate, striking the sides of the tongue especially hard. Very bright fruit all the way through, with a moderately clean finish and just a suggestion of bitter at the back of the tongue at the close--likely a result of the acidity. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with plenty of carbonation and nice crispness and acidic brightness. There's a suggestion of syrup on the tongue that I could do without, but a pleasant mouthfeel overall.

The detractors of this lambic all seem lament that this doesn't drink more like a "regular" beer. Well, I'm not a huge fan of lambics, but I find very little to criticize about this one. It is dense with flavor, it has a great appearance, and the bouquet is almost as engaging as the taste. Certainly not something I could drink a lot of in one sitting, but that's almost the point. Well worth trying (or trying again).

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

7/9/2011

My sister ordered this at The Barrel Room today on her birthday before she heads out of state for law school so I helped myself to a small pour. Thanks!

A: A very attractive light crimson with a light pink head. Looks nice.

S: Raspberries, sweet malt, and sugar but not much else. It smells really sweet.

T: Tastes like sugary raspberry juice. Far too sweet. Maybe a hint of tartness, maybe not. Blah.

M: Lower medium body with lower high carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy.

Overall: A far too sweet raspberry juice masquerading as a beer. All the women at the table loved it, and I loved them for loving it and held my tongue. This is a great beer for someone who doesn't like beer but enjoys sugary raspberry drinks, and I think most
people enjoy such drinks to some extent. Judged as a beer, it's a bit ridiculous.

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

Framboise lambic lindemans

A: There is a deep ruby red purple color with a fuchsia head with no lacing, it just sits there, nonplussed.

S: There is a huge raspberry and skittles nose with juicy berries and roses. Far more juice and sweetness than maltiness and beer. This seems to be a flaw as the nose is just sweet with nothing else to offer.

T: There is a huge juicy presence with no alcohol waft just complete wine profile with no oak just juicy juice that is kinda cloying after a bit. I wonder if this would be better as a cuvee or maybe just not ordered at all. It is difficult to say.

M The mouthfeel is thin with no hops, the only thing that I notice is a sticky coating with weak tannins. This is that birthday party for beer elements where if a real beer showed up, it would feel all awkward because 11 year old dudes were playing Mall Madness.

D The profile is not meant for long sessions. Even my 12oz romp was enough for me. This “beer” was weak and far too sweet. I know I am supposed to judge on style but this is just nonsense, don’t drink this. Go drink a cup of juice and save your liver the paperwork.

Narrative: Eliza’s 6th grade science project seemed to be going to well. She had an impeccable tristand board with exhibits and visuals and graphs. The hypothesis seemed well ordered and- what the, “WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF PINOT NOIR ON AN 11 YEAR OLD?” Ok, that is when things maybe took a downtown. Eliza showed up visibly drunk, not unlike a Portugese schoolgirl. Her teeth were stained blackberry purple and she kept leaning on the judges, physically not figuratively. While her study was technically sound, her parents shook their heads in disbelief when she began crying and attempting to go through her phone. Notwithstanding, she confirmed that Pinot Grigio made girls of all ages and dispositions emotional wrecks. She took second place to a Vietnamese child whose water acidity exhibit was clearly put together by his parents. Also, they were not drunk.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

a: very attractive velvet red beer with a nice pink foam with tiny and closely packed bubbles for a head. decent retention and very little lacing, though the bubbles stick slightly on a swirl. Reminds me more of a champagne than a beer, though the color of the head and beer is begging me to drink it regardless.

s: fruity and sweet. sour notes from raspberry tartness. slight yeastiness, though very little anything other than sweet and sour fruit.

t: follows the nose quite well. this is sugar in the raw here. It is a tremendous raspberry taste and reminds me slightly of a strawberry daiquiri despite this being raspberry. not a whole lot going on, but the taste is splendid. I could see the sweetness getting old. slight breadiness to it from the yeast though it is trapped beneath a heap of berry. Very nice aftertaste of berry muffin after I've sat for a few minutes.

m: very crisp, very refreshing. Very thin, though. Sourness makes me pucker a touch but I keep going back for more.

o: Very nice, flavorful beer. They pack a ton of berry in here and it is a great taste. reminds me of those pure fruit popsicles...the mixed berry one. I'm loving this for what it is, though I could only have so many. I would love to use this to replace wine or champagne...but the low abv is a turn off if you're looking to actually get a little buzz from this. A great thing to drink if your just looking to relax with something mild.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

A-dark maroon with a thick ruby head. very pretty

S-a nice thick and strong scent of raspberries and sugar. very strong

T-it comes in with a perfectly smooth taste of raspberries and a slight tartness. the tartness lasts with a hint of raspberries in to a decent after-taste. the flavors are all very strong

M-medium creamy carbonation with a fairly dry finish

O-the quintessential lambic. its really tasty. the sugar will get to you before the alcohol will, but i might be able to drink this all night. i always fall back to this when i want a tasty fruit beer. it can get pretty expensive, but i appreciate how easy it is to find.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%

Have had this numerous times, but the review was on draft at Winking Lizard. This is often the beer we'll crack on New Years Eve instead of Champagne.

The beer is a deep red, like the color of smeared lipstick. The head is bright neon pink. Or, in the lingo of my childhood, "hot pink." Very soft pillowy lace was drooping down the branded flute.

The smell is of candied raspberries. It is super sweet, which I know is supremely off-putting to many people. I don't mind it, so long as that's what I am in the mood for. Obviously this beer is not a traditional or "true" spontaneously fermented, funky lambic. When this is taken into account, I find it to be a very pleasant and tasty beer. There are some leafy green aromas beneath all of the sugary sweetness if you are willing to look for it.

The flavor is also syrupy sweet, but as a desert beer it does well. The extremely low abv make this beer sessionably tasty. The nicest thing about all of the general Lindemans incarnations is the really potent fruit flavor. Raspberry is not shy in this beer like it can be in many others.

Medium to high carbonation with some mild tartness on the end.

Overall very drinkable, though not quite appropriate for the style. Rating purely to style this deserves a C or lower, but on it's own I'll stand by my higher ranking. The biggest downfall for the beer in my eyes is the steep price tag ($10.99 usually for a 750ml bottle).

Note: I recently had some sorbet at Jenni's Ice Cream in Columbus that was made with this beer. I believe that this is now my all-time favorite ice cream flavor. Also it was much more tart than the beer alone which was a plus for me.

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

584th Review on BA
Draft to Lambic glass
@ La Creperie in Chino Hills

App- Take some fresh squeezed raspberries and add a little bit of water to thin it out and then some kool aid mix, add some bubbles and voila. Nice 1/2 in head, no lace. Pretty looking.

Smell- Way to sugary sweet. It can be a lambic with Raspberres, but doesnt need to be like Minute Maid canned juice concentrate.

Taste- Just too sweet without an ABV or another flavor or ingredient to balance this out. Was spritzy and bright and paired well with the rich full flavored dessert I had.

Mouth- Almost light bodied, but really was a high carbed beer. Nice fruit flavors remained.

Drink- For what it is, a great intro fruit beer or lambic for the general public. Its needs to be balanced a lot more.

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle (750ml, capped/corked) into a champagne flute. I've had this a few times, so let's review it.

A - Nice fluffy 2-finger pink head takes a little while to go down. Clear dark red, looks like raspberry juice! Lots of lacing sticks around.

S - Raspberries, obviously. A hint of funk. Not really much else. Smells delicious, but could be more interesting.

T - tart raspberries, but not too tart. Definitely sweet enough not to overwhelm or pucker. Like the smell, good but not that interesting.

M - carbonation is appropriate for what it is. It's like drinking carbonated raspberry juice. ABV is low, so low you might not realize this is an alcoholic beverage.

D/O - What can I say? It's a hot summer day, & a gal can only drink so many heavy beers. This goes down fantastic. If you have a friend who says "I don't like beer" (especially if it's a girl friend -- sorry ladies, but I feel I can say this because once upon a time, I was that girl!), give them this. As a beer drinker, it's great for dessert or a hot day, if you go for the style. If you don't like raspberries, well, don't drink a raspberry lambic. This is definitely a fun thing to drink from time to time!

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a flute glass. Thick two finger pink head with ample frothy lacing. The body is dark rasberry/craberry colored. The smell is of tart rasberry with a slight sweetness. Slight vanilla and just a hint of malt. The taste is tart, but sweet. Rasberry dominates with just a touch of malt backbone. Mouthfeel is juice like. Overall a great beer for a hot summer day.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

From a 355mL bottle, the beer poured a dark, but clear red with a nice fluffy pink head. The head was decently retained, but don't recall much lacing. The aroma of the beer was nice, sweet and tart due to the raspberries. The taste of the beer was better than expected, much stronger than expected, but as expected at the same time as the beer had a nice raspberry flavor, sweet and tart. The beer had a nice feel to it, light and finished with a nice dry aftertaste. The beer is very easy to drink, but I am not sure that I would drink a lot of it at any one time. Overall, I enjoyed the beer and I will probably buy it every so often, just to mix it up.

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

355 mL green bottle pours a dark red color with a frothy pink head. Big bubbles, not much lacing or retention.

Nose is raspberries and sweetness, thats about all really.

Taste is of course sweeter than an fruited lambic should be, but it is mighty tasty and there is enough tartness to make it interesting. Perhaps a bit too carbonated, but still is very easy to drink. Its a dessert beer though, make no doubt about it. Tastes good over some vanilla ice cream. I wonder why the framboise is way less ABV than the other Lindemans offerings? Worth a try, thats for sure.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Bright red with a pink head that lingers and then fade into a lacing on the top of the beer.

Aroma: Fresh tart raspberries and sweet fruit dominate the nose with subtle hints of acidic hints.

Taste: Tart raspberries with a very sweet finish. As it warms up the sweeter it become, this makes it a little difficult to finish. There is a subtle tart depth that is not too tart or too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Dry finish with a sweet mouthfeel, its light bodied, but keeps you coming back for more.

Overall: I enjoyed it. The closest thing I had drunk before this that was similar was New Glarus Raspberry tart. Personally I thought the NG version was a little more berry forward, but that beer is not a limbic, so no real base for comparison.

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich burgundy with gentle hints of brown. The head looks like champagne, with small fizzy bubbles, but they're pink. Almost doesn't look like a beer.

Smells like raspberries. End of story.

Tastes like sour berries. Sweet early on, then extremely sour/tart, enough that my mouth puckered on almost every sip.

It's hard to keep in your mouth for very long due to the tartness. There are times when it's sweet, but the sourness always takes over immediately.

Not a very good fruit beer, just too sour for me. Apparently, I don't like lambics.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans