Lindemans Framboise | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 11-01-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,844 |  Reviews: 1,055
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

a: very attractive velvet red beer with a nice pink foam with tiny and closely packed bubbles for a head. decent retention and very little lacing, though the bubbles stick slightly on a swirl. Reminds me more of a champagne than a beer, though the color of the head and beer is begging me to drink it regardless.

s: fruity and sweet. sour notes from raspberry tartness. slight yeastiness, though very little anything other than sweet and sour fruit.

t: follows the nose quite well. this is sugar in the raw here. It is a tremendous raspberry taste and reminds me slightly of a strawberry daiquiri despite this being raspberry. not a whole lot going on, but the taste is splendid. I could see the sweetness getting old. slight breadiness to it from the yeast though it is trapped beneath a heap of berry. Very nice aftertaste of berry muffin after I've sat for a few minutes.

m: very crisp, very refreshing. Very thin, though. Sourness makes me pucker a touch but I keep going back for more.

o: Very nice, flavorful beer. They pack a ton of berry in here and it is a great taste. reminds me of those pure fruit popsicles...the mixed berry one. I'm loving this for what it is, though I could only have so many. I would love to use this to replace wine or champagne...but the low abv is a turn off if you're looking to actually get a little buzz from this. A great thing to drink if your just looking to relax with something mild.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

A-dark maroon with a thick ruby head. very pretty

S-a nice thick and strong scent of raspberries and sugar. very strong

T-it comes in with a perfectly smooth taste of raspberries and a slight tartness. the tartness lasts with a hint of raspberries in to a decent after-taste. the flavors are all very strong

M-medium creamy carbonation with a fairly dry finish

O-the quintessential lambic. its really tasty. the sugar will get to you before the alcohol will, but i might be able to drink this all night. i always fall back to this when i want a tasty fruit beer. it can get pretty expensive, but i appreciate how easy it is to find.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%

Have had this numerous times, but the review was on draft at Winking Lizard. This is often the beer we'll crack on New Years Eve instead of Champagne.

The beer is a deep red, like the color of smeared lipstick. The head is bright neon pink. Or, in the lingo of my childhood, "hot pink." Very soft pillowy lace was drooping down the branded flute.

The smell is of candied raspberries. It is super sweet, which I know is supremely off-putting to many people. I don't mind it, so long as that's what I am in the mood for. Obviously this beer is not a traditional or "true" spontaneously fermented, funky lambic. When this is taken into account, I find it to be a very pleasant and tasty beer. There are some leafy green aromas beneath all of the sugary sweetness if you are willing to look for it.

The flavor is also syrupy sweet, but as a desert beer it does well. The extremely low abv make this beer sessionably tasty. The nicest thing about all of the general Lindemans incarnations is the really potent fruit flavor. Raspberry is not shy in this beer like it can be in many others.

Medium to high carbonation with some mild tartness on the end.

Overall very drinkable, though not quite appropriate for the style. Rating purely to style this deserves a C or lower, but on it's own I'll stand by my higher ranking. The biggest downfall for the beer in my eyes is the steep price tag ($10.99 usually for a 750ml bottle).

Note: I recently had some sorbet at Jenni's Ice Cream in Columbus that was made with this beer. I believe that this is now my all-time favorite ice cream flavor. Also it was much more tart than the beer alone which was a plus for me.

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

584th Review on BA
Draft to Lambic glass
@ La Creperie in Chino Hills

App- Take some fresh squeezed raspberries and add a little bit of water to thin it out and then some kool aid mix, add some bubbles and voila. Nice 1/2 in head, no lace. Pretty looking.

Smell- Way to sugary sweet. It can be a lambic with Raspberres, but doesnt need to be like Minute Maid canned juice concentrate.

Taste- Just too sweet without an ABV or another flavor or ingredient to balance this out. Was spritzy and bright and paired well with the rich full flavored dessert I had.

Mouth- Almost light bodied, but really was a high carbed beer. Nice fruit flavors remained.

Drink- For what it is, a great intro fruit beer or lambic for the general public. Its needs to be balanced a lot more.

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle (750ml, capped/corked) into a champagne flute. I've had this a few times, so let's review it.

A - Nice fluffy 2-finger pink head takes a little while to go down. Clear dark red, looks like raspberry juice! Lots of lacing sticks around.

S - Raspberries, obviously. A hint of funk. Not really much else. Smells delicious, but could be more interesting.

T - tart raspberries, but not too tart. Definitely sweet enough not to overwhelm or pucker. Like the smell, good but not that interesting.

M - carbonation is appropriate for what it is. It's like drinking carbonated raspberry juice. ABV is low, so low you might not realize this is an alcoholic beverage.

D/O - What can I say? It's a hot summer day, & a gal can only drink so many heavy beers. This goes down fantastic. If you have a friend who says "I don't like beer" (especially if it's a girl friend -- sorry ladies, but I feel I can say this because once upon a time, I was that girl!), give them this. As a beer drinker, it's great for dessert or a hot day, if you go for the style. If you don't like raspberries, well, don't drink a raspberry lambic. This is definitely a fun thing to drink from time to time!

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a flute glass. Thick two finger pink head with ample frothy lacing. The body is dark rasberry/craberry colored. The smell is of tart rasberry with a slight sweetness. Slight vanilla and just a hint of malt. The taste is tart, but sweet. Rasberry dominates with just a touch of malt backbone. Mouthfeel is juice like. Overall a great beer for a hot summer day.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

From a 355mL bottle, the beer poured a dark, but clear red with a nice fluffy pink head. The head was decently retained, but don't recall much lacing. The aroma of the beer was nice, sweet and tart due to the raspberries. The taste of the beer was better than expected, much stronger than expected, but as expected at the same time as the beer had a nice raspberry flavor, sweet and tart. The beer had a nice feel to it, light and finished with a nice dry aftertaste. The beer is very easy to drink, but I am not sure that I would drink a lot of it at any one time. Overall, I enjoyed the beer and I will probably buy it every so often, just to mix it up.

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

355 mL green bottle pours a dark red color with a frothy pink head. Big bubbles, not much lacing or retention.

Nose is raspberries and sweetness, thats about all really.

Taste is of course sweeter than an fruited lambic should be, but it is mighty tasty and there is enough tartness to make it interesting. Perhaps a bit too carbonated, but still is very easy to drink. Its a dessert beer though, make no doubt about it. Tastes good over some vanilla ice cream. I wonder why the framboise is way less ABV than the other Lindemans offerings? Worth a try, thats for sure.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Bright red with a pink head that lingers and then fade into a lacing on the top of the beer.

Aroma: Fresh tart raspberries and sweet fruit dominate the nose with subtle hints of acidic hints.

Taste: Tart raspberries with a very sweet finish. As it warms up the sweeter it become, this makes it a little difficult to finish. There is a subtle tart depth that is not too tart or too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Dry finish with a sweet mouthfeel, its light bodied, but keeps you coming back for more.

Overall: I enjoyed it. The closest thing I had drunk before this that was similar was New Glarus Raspberry tart. Personally I thought the NG version was a little more berry forward, but that beer is not a limbic, so no real base for comparison.

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich burgundy with gentle hints of brown. The head looks like champagne, with small fizzy bubbles, but they're pink. Almost doesn't look like a beer.

Smells like raspberries. End of story.

Tastes like sour berries. Sweet early on, then extremely sour/tart, enough that my mouth puckered on almost every sip.

It's hard to keep in your mouth for very long due to the tartness. There are times when it's sweet, but the sourness always takes over immediately.

Not a very good fruit beer, just too sour for me. Apparently, I don't like lambics.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

My wife has been drinking this one for years, and I have never had more than a sip. The other night schmittymack brought a bottle over, and I partook. Poured a blood red color with a thin pinkish head. Aromas of raspberry jam, tart raspberries and raspberry. Light to medium bodied, with a lot more raspberry on the palate. Not bad, but too sweet for me.

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a really pretty dark purple with a small head that hangs around well. The smell is of raspberries and carbonation. The first thing that strikes me is how different this is from the peche lambic. The taste is straight up tart/ sweet raspberries. No yeasty beer flavor to speak of. Nice tartness and spectacular bubbly, light mouthfeel. I have to admit I love this. It's a hot day and the tartness and fizziness is very refreshing.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Pours a dark red with a faint pink head. About one half finger of head after an aggressive pour by the bartender. Head disappears about after 5 minutes.

Smell - Very sweet and tart smelling. You can really smell the raspberries coming through in this brew.

Taste - Very tart and sour at the first sip leading into a pleasant sweetness near the end. Taste can get a little sickening sweet after nearing the end of a glass. Some carbonation taste in the mouth with also strong taste of raspberries.

Mouthfeel - As stated earlier, there is some carbonation characteristic to this lambic. Very sticky feeling in the mouth from all of the sugar. Goes down rather dry.

Overall - Used to be my favorite lambic, before I had tried any others. After refining my palate a little bit, I realize that this is an above average lambic, but is not the best one out there. Probably prefer the Cantillons (of course) and the Oud Beersel lambics over this brand, but I will still gladly drink some when the other two aren't around.

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A pours a deep red color with a thick red head.

S tart raspberries and not much else.

T more raspberries and a lingering sourness.

M thin and heavily carbonated. Not bad though.

Overall this is a decent beer. I've never had a lambic before so I don't have a basis for comparison but it seems pretty good for the style.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter at 45-50 degrees. Picked it up at a store that doesn't move/order many Belgians, so I would imagine that this is at least a year old.

A: Pours a deep red/purple hue. Small pink head that fades to a good bit of lacing around the edges.

S: Raspberry candies. Not fake crappy ones, but rather a natural raspberry candy made with fresh raspberries. Very strong. Nothing else in the nose that would indicate that this is actually a beer

T: Very sweet raspberries initially. Then a light vinegar/musky finish. Mouth feel is very crisp, tart and refreshing but the flavor fades pretty quickly. Makes you want to come back for another sip. The flavors are good, but a little overwhelming and one dimensional.

O: I don't think this beer deserves the amount of hate it gets. Its no cantillon and it is really sweet, but this is a beer that I have found in almost every beer store and its awfully refreshing. It can get a bit overwhelming towards the end, but it makes for a really solid dessert beer. Its worth a try if you're a raspberry fan.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Enjoyed 4/22/11 Reviewed from notes

A: Pours a light red w/ 2+ fingers of head

S: Lots of raspberry sugar smells

T: Raspberry and grape sugar flavors. Very sweet.

M: Nice light feel, almost refreshing. A subtle but strong carbonation

O: Sugary sweet. That's about it. Enjoyed as dessert it can be appreciated for what it is.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Really doesn't resemble a "conventional" beer at all, so if you're not familiar with the style (not that this is really a traditional lambic), it might throw you off. Pours bright magenta in color, with a short-lingering, foamy, white head; well carbonated. Raspberry candy in the nose, and and the raspberry overtakes any other flavor that might be present, so basically the fruit sweetness is the only thing you get. And I'm not saying that as a bad thing. Kind of sucks when you find out this is a flavored lambic and doesn't use real fruit, but it's still a tasty treat. Light mouthfeel, but can leave a filmy aftertaste. Drinkable. Save it for dessert.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

This is my first Lambic review. So excuse any dumb remarks...

Appearance-It was real odd pouring out a bottle and seeing a red, raspberry color. The head was about 2 inches of a reddish/pink. Suprisingly I thought this looked pretty nice. Nice body, Nice Head, Nice carbonation...I think a 4 is fair.

Smell-Raspberries are my favorite fruit, so I thought this smelt amazing, but it's just strange smelling your beer and getting raspberries.

Taste-Once again, raspberries with a bit of tartness and bitterness. If I were to drink a 12oz bottle of raspberry soda with a 1/2 scoop of vanilla ice cream this is what it would taste like.

Mouthfeel-Smooth, lots of carbonation.

Overall-It's tasty, but it's hard to consider this a beer considering I'm not much of a Framboise drinker. Either way, this is very tasty and when in the mood, this will be purchased again.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Hideous raspberry jam color, not what I want my beer to look like. Looks thick and sweet. The nose is of fresh raspberries, very cool effect here, smells like a puree. Taste is not as sweet as preconceived. A nice balance of sweet fruit and tart finish. Quite drinkable actually, but only in small doses. Mouthfeel is mellow and easy, overall a solid Framboise, but I prefer less fruit in the blend.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

A - Transparent shimmering ruby - raspberry goodness. A white finger head foams up for a short amount of time, before it recedes to a thin ring and a few bubbles here and there.

S - sweet, sugary raspberries, grapes, a little funky attic in the back end.

T - sweet, sweet, sweet fresh raspberries with a solid tartness you'd get by actually eating a raspberry. The sweetness also lends itself to grapes, green & red apples, blackberries. I can't overstate how sweet this is, but it gets away without being cloying.

M - The mouthfeel is shockingly similar to what it'd be like to eat a handful of raspberries; the tartness leaves a slightly acidic and sticky-on-the-palate texture and the low carbonation doesn't help scrub any of that texture from my mouth.

O - As a dessert beer, this is phenomenal - something you could easily share with a non craft drinker and not even tell them it's beer, you could probably get away with telling them it's one of those non-alcoholic sparking juices. This is very much like a juice. Also would be incredible to pair with a piece of berry cheesecake or something richly chocolate. This is my girlfriends' go-to beer, so if you can't get your significant other to share beer with you, reach for a lindemans.

Poured a 12 ounce bottle to a tulip glass. This is my first lambic, so take the review for what it's worth. Pours an opaque raspberry color with a frothy pinkish head.

The dominant smells are raspberry and sugar, with some acidity coming through. Raspberry dominates the taste, as well as sweetness, followed by a pleasantly puckering tartness in the sides of the mouth. No bitterness though. There is no noticeable alcohol smell or taste or mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel is fizzy from fairly high carbonation, plus sticky sweet on a medium-bodied base. This is a burp inducing raspberry pie in a bottle. Or tasty sour candy.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was perfect for an evening on my deck during a spring heat wave.

12oz bottle poured into a Lindeman's Lambic flute. No date on the bottle that I could find.

Appearance: Careful pour yielded a clear dark raspberry red-purple with a persistent 1/8" pink head. Sheets and islands of lacing noted.

Smell: Mostly raspberries with a hint of something musty at the end. The mustiness reminds me and the Mrs. of an old book.

Taste: Tart raspberry sweetness (almost liquor like) with a tart/sour finish blending into something else sweet...maybe even a hint of honey at the end. The mustiness noted in the smell doesn't show up until the beer is fully at room temperature, and even then it's barely notable over the raspberry. If I didn't know this was a beer I never would have guessed it. Tasty and unique.

Mouthfeel: Almost exactly like a sparkling cider or spumante but not as fizzy. Juicy but doesn't stick to the teeth.

Overall / Drinkability: Very interesting beer, but so fruity that it's a special occasion beer for me. Glad I tried it and I will definitely look into the other flavors out there. Would definitely go well with dessert, but is a nice after-dinner treat all on its own.

3.72/5  rDev -4.1%

Bright vibrant red color. Thinner, extremely red head. A very red beer. Smell is dominated by sour strawberries, sweet raspberries and a mild sour, wild aroma. Very strong, tart and mildly sweet. Taste is balanced fairly well between sweet and sour. Lots of fruit character, vinous tastes, long sour and mildly sweet finish. A little flat and not too dynamic. Not bad, good dessert beer.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle poured out a hazy dark red body with a two finger high pink head. The head dissipated to a frothy and sticky lace that smothered the glass. The initial aromas were of cork, musty overtones, fresh raspberries, earthy tones and eventually I started to get the inevitable funky foot smell. The initial flavors were of fresh raspberries, earthy tones, sweet sugars and a light wheat finish. The brew was tart and sweet, with a light body and medium carbonation.

Boy was this refreshing! The flavors and smell smelt like the brew was just made. This was a really interesting experience and now I want to give some more Lambics a go.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%

Bright beet-pink two finger head over garnet body.

Nose is harsh, tart and sour raspberry.

Taste follows the nose, *huge* hit of tart raspberry, not much else, but it does this part right.

Mouthfeel is nice, strong prickly carbonation to clean up the finish on this strong-tasting lambic.

Overall nice, if this is your thing. And if it's not, probably not so nice.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans