Lindemans Framboise | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
Read the review
Lindemans FramboiseLindemans Framboise

Added by Todd on 11-01-2000

Reviews: 1,030 | Ratings: 2,736
4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Served on tap @ Pipers Pub

A: Served in a slender fluted glass. Color is a cloudy ruby color that seems, I don't know, lit from within somehow? Head was thin, but it lingers and leaves nice lacing.

S: Strong raspberry aromas with hints of cherries. Fruit smells are natural but strong. I know that lambics are supposed to smell like a wet barn or something, but I'm happy with this one. No barnyard smells. Very very faint funk is present, but so low it seems just there to say "yes, I'm a lambic".

T: Powerful raspberry/cherry flavors. Sweet with just a hint of tartness to keep it from becoming cloyingly sweet. Again, tastes natural. Very little pucker factor like in the "real" lambics, but hey, I like this.

M: Mouth coating sweetness, Low feel of carbonation. No alcoholic warmth. Hard to believe this actually has any in it.

D&N: I like this stuff. A lot. It doesn't smell like a hay pile on top of a wet saddle, it doesn't make my mouth pucker so tight I have to use a straw, but this is a really enjoyable experience for me.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - Hazy, but with a pretty deep red color. Decent head and retention, rocky head.

Smell - Raspberries galore. There is a background funk in there, too - sort of like a "barnyard" or "horse" aroma.

Taste - This beer is really sweet, but has a background tartness. The raspberry flavor is great, and there is an underlying funkiness (probably attributable to wild yeast).

Mouthfeel - Thick and sweet. Not a beginner beer, unless you are a candy freak.

Drinkability - Too sweet for my tastes to consume en masse. A good beer, but one is enough.

Comments - This is a beer that is worth a try. Other Lindemans are also good, but this style is somewhat of an acquired taste, in my opinion.

This was a nice lambic and the first beer my girlfriend actually likes! It poured a nice ruby red color with a small reddish froth on the top that laced a little down the glass. The smell was quite sweet and smelt of the raspberries and not much else. The flavor was quite good with a good dose of lambic tartness and raspberry sweetness. The great carbonation made for a very nice mouthfeel and the dry aftertaste made me want another sip. This was good stuff, no Cantillon but pretty damn good.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've sipped this a number of times but finally gave in to ordering one myself. Fantastic, regardless that it tastes more like a Capri Sun than a beer. Raspberries were overwhelming in a good way, very sweet and easy to drink. Looks like cranberry jucie and seltzer mixed together. Though nor for everyone and every occassion, this is a great dessert beer and worth a try. The colder the better with this one.

First lambic ever tasted,

Pours a rasberry red, not a typical beer color at all. Pink tinged head that dissapates quickly but leaves some spottage on the glass.

Enters the mouth with a slight maltiness and maybe some wheat twang but the main flavor is rasberries. Sweet and a touch tangy sour at the finish. No hops whatsoever.

Active carbonation, medium bodied. Very pleasant and sweet. Reminds me of a wine cooler. Overall pretty drinkable and delicious.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

This is an odd bottle of beer. The cork under the cap thing is different. The beer pours a dark reddish color and had a head that left quickly. It smells of raspberries... well actually it smells like raspberry Altoids. It nearly tastes like them too. It seems more like a sour fruit drink than a beer, but I assume that is what lambics are all about. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I do like this beer and think it is beyond what I expected of it's style. Now I need to expand my knowledge of Lambics. My curiosity has been stirred.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

Aromas of plastic, raspberries, woody hints and earth make up the nose. Once again, this is a pinky red colored beer, in which an insane amount of residual sweetness resides and hunts your wildest unbeery fantasies. Strong overwhelming raspberries, balance is inexistent. You just need tartness in that kind of beer, typical sticky palate, very low carbonation.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

(Served in a Lindemans flute strange glass)
A-Deep red body with a high carbonations of tiny bubbles. The head is a rocky red that fades within a few minutes.

S- Bold smell of raspberries and a little goaty hay aroma. Mostly tart raspberries stand out in the nose. It also has a nose of floral hops hidden behind the fruit.

T- The taste starts off with a nice sour raspberry flavor and gets more tart as it develops Some floral hops and cherry flavors develop with a hint of red licorice flavor. A subtle sweetness is also present.

M- A light mouthfeel with a little champagne fizziness to follow. No pucker or alcohol warmth in this brew.

D- I think this is a beautiful example of a young lambic framboise. I have had the " real" lambics and I do like their tart pungent characteristics but I think this beer is also nice in its own regards. It is not real sweet but it has big fruit flavors. Very nice.

3.21/5  rDev -18.3%

Looks good, pink, somewhat purple brew topped by a fluffy, pinkish head. Some distinct lacing clings to the glass.

Smells like raspberries, obviously. Quite sweet with some tardness trying to balance out the sugary aspect.

The taste is has a base of lambic sourness, but the sweet somewhat artificial raspberry flavours dominate the brew. Some notes of sour apple and earthiness are there to accompany the raspberries to a tart finish. The raspeberry flavour isn't exactly presented in a subtle way, and is somewhat overwhelming though. I will not deny that I really like the taste, but the intenseness of it adds to the soda-factor of the beer.

Syrupy mouthfeel, good carbonation though.
Quite drinkable, especially if you're thirsty. Would be a good pick on a hot day.(Although it's quite expensive, even here in Belgium)

This beer walks the thin line line between tasting like beer and tasting like soda, and in my opinion crosses it. The added artificial ingredients and aroma's somewhat ruin my appreciation for the brew. Everyone who's ever had Fanta "Red Fruits" will agree that the taste of the two shows a remarkable resemblance. Hence the lower score.

2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

A very attractive bottle that’s corked, capped and foiled (odd). A deep red… uh… beer? Only a very small, pink, fully-diminishing head and hardly any lacing to speak of. OK, so lambics aren’t your typical brew, but it was the raspberry that dominated everything from start to finish and made this beer so memorable. The aroma is wicked sweet of raspberry, but as it warms up it smells more like roses. The taste is strong of raspberry sweetness, and there’s a sourness that builds as the bottle goes down. You know, I think this is just overkill. Too much berry, too sweet, too acidic. It started out interesting and pleasant, but it really wore me out quickly. If you’re really into fruit beers, it’s worth a try. Otherwise, I’m going to have to disagree with the majority of the reviews and say it really not worth trying, especially when you take price into account. Well, I’m glad I tried it, but doubt I’ll have it again.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

From the bottle:

Pours a brilliant clear red with a pinkish head that bubbles up quickly and disappears just as fast. Smell is very sweet, not surprisingly, with an aroma that just screams "fresh-off-the-bush rasperries". Taste: rasperry essence assaults the tastebuds, with a fair amount of sweetness, which is then balanced out by the intense tartness of this brew. A very simple, yet pleasing flavor experience. Aftertaste is dry and slightly sour, not in a bad way at all. Drinkability is not too high unless you can handle a bit of sweetness. I have used this beer to get people who are in the "I don't like beer because it tastes bad" category to cross over into the world of better beer.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours out light crimson with a frothy pink ring of carbonation. Smell is intensely sweet and raspberry like, I almost hesitate to rate it so highly, but it is very appealing and hence, it gets the good score despite the lack of character.

Flavour is very similar to the nose, a strong wallop of sweetness with a varying raspberry tone that makes several subtle changes as it swirls in one's mouth. Tartness is also present. I can see how this beer could be seen as one dimensional, or too sweet for some people, but I really enjoy this kind of flavour, and hence, high marks again.

Mouthfeel is what I would call full yet bubbly. It's not oily at all, yet it does feel full in the mouth. Drikability meanwhile is exceptional, this is a hard drink to set down.

Overall, another enjoyable lambic by Lindamens...

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearence: Pours a wonderful dark red with a foamy, almost pink head.

Smell: The smell is of strong, tart, fresh raspberries. Nothing really else.

Taste and Mouthfeel: An incredibly sweet and fresh raspberry taste immeadiately greets your mouth. It says "Hello" and then leaves, leaving behind an incredibly tart flavor that clings forever. The raspberry flavor is incredibly complex, and quite enjoyable. The mouthfeel is full bodied and smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: This is another excellent lambic from Lindemans. They can do no wrong I feel. The flavor of this is incredibly tart, but not overbearing, which really ups the drinkability. This is a wonderful beer.

Bottle: Poured a dark pink beer with a huge bubbly head that leaves mark throughout my glass. Aroma is totally overpowered by raspberry syrup with extreme sweetness. Taste is mostly covered by the sweetness of the syrup and with some subtle sourness coming from the lambic base. This is one of my guilty pleasure beer because even thought I agree that is doesn’t respect all traditional guideline of lambic-fruit, the syrup is real good and refreshing…

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

The head is a sick, strawberry ice cream color. It's thick and foamy. The beer is a hazy, dark, rosy red. Lacing is filmy, thin but sticky with weirdly shaped sheets. The aroma is far too sweet: sugary raspberry syrup all but completely masks a little barnyard funk. Front is syrupy sweet raspberries and flowers. A little green apple, maybe. Raspberry syrup again dominates the middle; some melons poke through. Feel is full and spritzy. Finish is a little tart, but is again overpowered by sugary raspberries. This is just kind of gross. I have a slight sweetness intolerance to begin with, so this just hurts. Definitely the weakest of the Lindemans in my book.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

On-tap at steal the glass night at CAH (along with the peche). Served in the official Lindemans footed flute, this beer is an opaque berry red just dying to be stain someone's white linen tablecloth. Pinkish head retained well in the appropriate glass.

Smells of raspberry, like a sorbet. Taste is tart and fruity. This isn't meant for February. This beer screams Sundays in summer. Fruit coats the mouth, carbonation is fine to carry it through to a reasonable finish. The tartness, like the bitterness in other beers, is a taste to be acquired, I'm sure.

This is drinkable, but it really should be paired with a sweet desert, such as a chocolate cake or a tray of Oreo cookies.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

Honestly, it's hard to see how this classifies as beer if you just judge from the taste alone, I doubt I'd ever have guessed! That having been said however, this is one tasty concoction!

Pours a deep soda-like red from it's capped and corked bottle. (If you are familiar with it, this looks exactly like Faygo Rock n' Rye) The smell is gorgeous, like juicy ripe raspberries. You can literally smell it across the room! The taste is that of a frothy raspberry smoothie almost with only traces of it's beer-like nature off in the background. This is one sweet and syrupy brew! Though that isn't a bad thing as it still remains on the lighter side in the mouthfeel department.

I've got to say I've never had anything quite like this, but it's definatly delicious and if I'm in the mood for dessert, I know right where to look.

Uncle Hamish says: "Wha?! Whut ye dew waith moi' bier lud? Whut tha' 'ell ais thais sweet crrraap!"

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Whether or not lambics are your thing - this beer is the absolute best in its class, hands down. Everything about it says raspberry.

I pours a deep purple red topped off by a healthy pink head reminiscent of champagne. The smell rising from this beer is unlike anything I have ever smelled before – it’s the concentrated essence of raspberries. Not fake raspberry perfume smell, but the freshness of real berries plucked straight from the bush. The nose of this beer carries the feeling of summer days in it.

The taste is all that is promised by the nose. A strong raspberry sweetness hit first, quickly giving way to a tart flavor. The raspberry taste is backed up very subtlety with more traditional beer flavors, most notably a mild earthiness. The mouthfeel of the beer is bright and highly carbonated with just a tad of syrup thickness to provide some body.

This beer is not for everyone, and it's certianly not something I would drink everyday, but it is the top dog in the world of raspberry lambics.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Deep red-purple, big head, tons of lace down the glass.

Nice aroma, tart raspberries coated in sugar.

Very crisp, nice and smooth. Juice like feel, candy sweetness. Doesn't really taste like beer. Pleasant tartness with a moderate sweetness. Sour-horsey flavor fades in and out. Faint raspberry aftertaste.

Very pleasant beer. Very unlike other raspberry beers.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

This beer is totally different than every other beer that I have ever tried. It is very sweet....almost too much. I would like to try this in a Chocolate Stout to mute the sugary flavor. I could only drink this once in a while and when I do, in small amounts. The bros described it as being champagne like. I totally agree! That is the best way to describe this beer.

--Joey

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

7 oz in a wine glass served on-tap at The Sanctuary in Iowa City (Iowa) in January 2005. Pinkish bubbles only around the rim of the glass over a cloudy ruby red liquid. Smells fresh clean raspberry. Some citrus (lime and lemon) and perhaps some pineapple, too. Tastes very sweet raspberry initially which quickly turns to citrus mildly sour and finishes quite dry. Raspberry prevails, but lime and lemon are clear and some pineapple with searching. I think I can even taste raspberry seeds. Very mild carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Good thing this has such a dry finish, because it keeps the beverage from being cloyingly sweet.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer pours a dark raspberry red color with a thin pink head that stays on the beer. The aroma is raspberries but there is a hint of some complex esters in the background. Taste is sweet raspberries balanced with an acidity tartness. This is sweeter than your typical lambic, the fruit flavor covers up the funk you usually find in a lambic. This beer is too sweet for me to drink them all night long. A decent beer, and a great introduction for the style. True sour fiends will find it too sweet though.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Red body and pink head that stays well and gives good lace. Decent carbonation.
Smell is incredible, fresh sweet/tart raspberries all over the place.
Taste is even better than the smell, it's like a mouthful of fresh raspberries with a tartness that somehow comes off as mostly sweet. Aftertaste is fading sweet/tart, quite pleasant.
Mouthfeel is clean and simple, good body, fuller than I expected and leaves just the slightest coating.
Definitely a beer I could drink several of and the low abv makes it an easy brew to have more of.
This beer has amazing focus, it never strays from the raspberry theme, not in the look, smell or taste, very well done.

-Oelergud

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

My first Lambic - poured dark red with a short lived pink, yes pink, head. The last bubble poured seemed to dance around the glass, fooling me into thinking something was alive in there for a moment. Aroma is powerful, very tart raspberry. Veryy fizzy in the mouthful. First sip reveals serious tartness. 1 sip lasts a long, long time. But I want more. the flavors are playing with every inch of my tonge. It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited. Long lasting raspberry tart and sourness in the finish.

I went into this not knowing if I'd like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Will definitely be seeking out more of this style.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a cloudy muted burgundy with an off white head that diminishes down to a thin layer quickly. The nose is moderately of tart raspberries. The taste is a nice belance between the tart and sweet raspberries. Moderately carbonated mouthfeel. I've never been a big fan of the framboise style but this one is quite palatable to me. I have heard that there are better ones out there, though. Must seek them out.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans