Lindemans Framboise | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
Read the review
Lindemans FramboiseLindemans Framboise

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

2.5-4.0% ABV

Added by Todd on 11-01-2000

Reviews: 1,040 | Ratings: 2,771
3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle was both corked and capped. Interesting.

After application of both sides of my bottle opener I was able to get to the beer.

It pours a rich purple in color, with a small head of tight purplish bubbles. Frothy but quick to dissipate.

The smell is luxuriant. Fresh sweet raspberries, Jolly Rancher candies, and the barest whiff of malt.

Taste is little different than fruit juice. Crisp, refreshing notes of fruit settle on the tongue immediately. There is a subtle texture to this that allows the taste to cling to the tongue and lips, providing a nice aftertaste. The malt is subtle but it manages to speak up in the swallow, coming out less like a beer and more like cereal. But the overwhelming influence is the berries.

The style is unusual, that's for sure. I found it difficult to decide if I was really drinking an alcoholic beverage and not just fizzy fruit juice (and the cost was too prohibitive to buy several and see the results of drinking them all at once), but for a change of pace this is nice. I think I'd rather have a cider when push comes to shove, but this is tasty enough.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: Crystal-clear ruby color with a small pink (!) head, fast rising champagne-like carbonation and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Absolutely profound aroma of freshly-picked raspberries and cream with an ancillary musty, sour note, possibly an artifact of the lambic process.

Taste: Sharp, tangy, mouth-watering juicy raspberries dominate with an underlying tart, sour note. Finishes with a slightly musty note and a fairly strong wave of alcohol.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very full, almost syrupy, with a distinct puckering quality from the tart and sour flavors.

Drinkability/notes: An utterly superb lambic. Words fail to convey the grandeur of this spectacular beer. This is most assuredly not a session beer, rather it shines as an aperitif or dessert selection and will dazzle the ladies. Thanks to BA Hardtarget for sharing this wonderful beer.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

This guy's been sitting around for quite a while--I guess it's time to explore the, er, fruity side.

Appearance: An almost glowing raspberry magenta with a slightly rocky, short-lived, pure white head. A bit silty. Some lacing and sticky legs on the glass wall.

Smell: Easiest thing I've ever reviewed: raspberries, blooming in all directions, slightly sweet, slightly tart. The last pour had some yeast funkiness, but it was fighting a losing battle.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again, no surprises: raspberries, plain and simple. A very (too?) sweet, syrupy flavor with a tart, sugar-sour finish. The yeast imparts very little flavor until the very end, where it adds a bit of complexity, although again, not much. The mouthfeel is light but quite sticky, with sharp, almost fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: It's very light and sweet with huge fruit flavor; I'm sure kids would love it. That said, it's way too sugary and sticky to drink much of.

Well, it certainly is what it proports to be. I was disappointed in its simplicity, though. For all that goes into it--wild yeast, spontaneous fermentation, corking--the end result isn't much different than a $1.25 raspberry wine cooler from the local 7-11. It's good, but there's not much to it.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Reddish pinkish with happy mild foam. Lindeman's is a sweet, raspberry treat of a beer. It may even be too sweet, but it seemed a pleasant desert compliment with the wafting raspberry aroma, and a more complex flavor profile with some interesting sour notes to compliment the full bore fruity sweetness. I dug it, and will again dig it.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

From the corked bottle pours a deep purple/burgundy cloudy liquid with a pinkish/lavender fluffy head. The head stayed for some time, and left a tremendous amount of lace on the glass. Smells like raspberries and a touch musty. The taste is a wonderful sweet and tart combo, with an abundance of berries. Dry aftertaste with no bitterness at all. Light body, with lots of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a real treat. Very sweet, so you might not drink this all night, but it sure seems to be a wonderful beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

I bought this again to try for review. Pours a brilliant ruby red with a small quickly fading head. smell is overwhelmingly raspberry.
taste is even more raspberries with a lot of carbonation. I'm glad that i like raspberries because tha tis exactly what i got. a little syrupy in the mouth but drinkable to say the least. a great dessert beer.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance:

Pours a brilliant cloudy red-pink with rapidly settling pink head.

Smell:

Fresh raspberries predominate.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mouth puckeringly tart, yet so delicious. Like feasting on fresh fruit. This is an extraordinary brew that has become a Christmas tradition due to its excellence.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

I really love this beer! Although I realize that it is a bit sweeter than most other lambics, I can't say no to it.
Nice red, almost maroon, color, bubbles build a head like champagne. No head remains after a moment and no lace to speak of.
The smell is amazing, a friend refers to it as a "nosegasm" and she's right. Absolutely one of the best things about it is the strong, sweet, obvious raspberry smell.
The first sip reinforces the smell, delivering exactly as promised. This beer drinks, and should be drunk like, champagne. A liquid dessert.
Mouthfeel is a bit weaker than expected but not overly so.
Drink this anytime you want to celebrate or just enjoy a treat for yourself. I have used this specific brew to introduce numerous people who "can't stand beer" to the grains we love. They all now spread the word of this fine brew.

4.4/5  rDev +12%

355 mL bottle. Capped, corked and wrapped in foil.

Appearance: Whoa. This is a deep purple beer, with a very effervescent body and a thin head of purple-stained white.

Smell: Absoultely drenching smell of fresh rasberries. I have a few rasberry bushes myself, and I actually think that it smelled more of a rancid, older berry that has stayed on the vine too long. Slight fermented smell, very rich and sweet.

Taste: Unlike anything else I've ever had. This reminds me of soda. Very light in mouth, almost champagne like carbonation. The incredible sweetness and syrupy feel is well balanced with a satisfying tartness. Difficult to discern other tastes, except for faint fermented earthiness/mold.

Mouthfeel: Light and lively, like champagne or soda.

Drinkability: These are very good. I would have as many as possible, but it really lacks the feel of beer. I could see this being a hit with the ladies. Not a session beer in any sense of the phrase. Tasty but expensive.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

A Corked & capped bottle with an interesting gunshot sound & gunsmoke when opened. Pours a deep, opaque ruby-purple. A medium-sized purple head collapses into a patchy covering in a few minutes. There is very little obvious carbonation. The aroma is sweet berries offset but a sour unripe berry nose. The flavor reminded me of Hansen's fruit juice/soda with raspberry and cranberry reminders. Berries, berries, and more berries with a sharp aftertaste and lingering tartness. Some fizzy soda pop notes.

A little goes a long way. Good enough, but not my style....

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Is this beer??? My tastes lie in the chocolate/nut/coffee category, but on a reccomendation I tried this beer. I can't really add anything more to what has been said about this beer, but I kept trying to figure out what it reminded me of. I couldn't keep saying rasberry champagne, yet that was a lot what it was like. Beautiful burgandy/merlot color with fizzle bubbles up the sides. I did pour it into a tulip glass, can't remember, was that correct? The smell was fresh picked rasberries. But the taste was described, finally, by another reviewer, they pegged it as koolaid without sugar. Yet it was sweet. But not too much so. Very smooth to drink. Tart, but not. Lingered on your lips too. And as it looks like everyone agrees, at $5.99 a bottle, it kicked! Glad I went with this one. A very special treat. I know what I'm giving for Christmas...

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

This was my first time trying lambic, and I must say, I was tremendously impressed. It poured a dark red burgundy/purple colour with a purple-ish grey head the faded away rather quickly. The smell is absolutley powerful of raspberry. Not just a hint of fruitiness or trace amounts of berries. It smells as though someone took a liquid filled berry scented air freshener, broke it open, and emptied the contents into the glass. Being a fan of fruit and berries, I really liked this quit alot. It is, however, certainly not for everyone. The taste was quite sweet and nearly equally strong of raspberries, as well. The only normal or otherwise typical beer-like characteristic I could detect was a bit of breadiness in the smell, and a tiny amount in the taste. This is certainly unlike anything I have every before tried in the way of beer and ale and certainly for the better.
It isn't too terribly carbonated and seems quite easy to drink. If you like fruity tasting things, I strongly recommend this one.

3.42/5  rDev -13%

This was my first foray into the Lambic arena. I love the appearance of the beer, as it was served (on tap) in a beautiful Lindeman's flute glass with a gold rimmed top and flowery artwork. Holding the beer up to the light reveals a brilliant majestic purple and red, truly remarkable. Smell is very strong raspberry, and the head dissipates quickly. Very bubbly, almost like champagne. Taste is very tart, in your face and not going away. I winced when I took my first sip, this is not a beer for the faint hearted. Mouthfeel was very sweet, almost reminded me of a kool aid with no sugar added. I could only drink one, it was tasty, but a little goes a long way.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Blood red appearance with a slight fizzy head. Loads of raspberries hit the nose and a very sweet fruity aroma. Tastes of candied fruits with a raspberry background that envelops the tastebuds. Very very sweet tastes and a clean feel that bites the tongue. For me this was overally sweet and sugary. The fizziness to this was almost too much to overcome as well. All in all this was too sweet for my liking but I'd still like to try the rest of their selection.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours out to a clear deep garnet, forming a thin pink head with minimal retention and no lacing. There is firmly cemented yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Aroma is of freshly-picked juicy red raspberries, not concentrate or syrup, but fresh-picked, followed by a dry dustiness. Not much else going in on the the aroma, but this alone is good enough. Carbonation is medium-strong. Mouthfeel is very spritzy and tart with a light body and tart finish. Taste is concentrated with tart red raspberries, followed by a firm sourness and a touch of earthiness. Finish is crisp, clean, and tart. No appreciable off-flavors. Adding the yeast makes the characteristic Belgium basement funk becomes appreciable.

Very simple, yet very good. It's hard to believe this is brewed with malt and hops, and hence would make a good introduction brew to "beer haters". This stuff is so concentrated and sweet, however, I would hard-pressed to drink more than one. Would go great over vanilla-bean ice-cream.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

beautiful beer, i didn't know that it poured a transparent deep red. i was expecting only hints of red. the smell is champange like. very fruity with sour apple.taste is the same. not as complex as i thought it might be. good raspberry and apple taste. i'd go into further detail, but at 5.99 a bottle i'd rather enjoy without distractions.

In all fairness I have never tried this style before this bottle, so my rating is being based on my taste. Not against others in the category.

That being said I was pleasantly surprised by this Lambic. The appearance was a beautiful deep ruby red, with a very small head that did not hang around more than a few seconds. The bubbles seemed almost artificial or soft drink like. The smell was raspberries and oh so light alcohol in the background. The taste was like raspberry perfume, and not only hit your tongue but also permeated your sinuses. There is also a bitter tart finish with a slight hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel was good, with a biting fizz that matched the tartness of the raspberry flavor. I gave the drinkability a good rating as well. This stuff goes down easy, although too sweet for my taste, but I would guess normal for the style. All in all a pleasant experience. I have always wanted to try this style, and was not disappointed in what I found.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

This brew is a deep red almost purple color, a cloudy body, and has a pink head on top. Theres lots of little bubbles rising to the top. Present is a massive rasberry scent, and the taste of this brew is mainly comprised of a very acidic rasberry flavor. The tounge comes alive when this brew hits it. If you like the taste of rasberrys, then you will definately enjoy this brew.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

on tap at Brew City

Served in a darling 8 oz flute with a gold rim and Lindeman emblems. Ruby glow and precious pink foam on top.

Everyone at the table can smell raspberries. Brilliant, fresh raspberry flavor with a sour finish. Ulimately, it's so sweet, you can't drink much, just sip. Just right for dessert.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

It pours a dark murky red, with too much purple and too vivid to be called ruby. There's a quick and short-lived head, the color of a Valentine's card. There's static, sticky lacing.

So, what is the aroma? Hmmmm...let me see....maybe...raspberry? It's tart and sweet, as though I crushed the fruit between my fingers and then brought them to my nose. And beyond raspberry, well, that's pretty much it. But it's a good raspberry!

The flavor is raspberries, first, last, and always! The pungent sweetness washes over the tongue and puckers the cheeks, dominating fully and sweetly. There's a slightly earthy, musky note about midway before the fruit tartness asserts all over again. At the finish is a faint, barely discernible sourness reminding you of the yeast's presence, but then is quickly gone.

Really just medium bodied, its dense sweetness leaves a thick, syrupy feel, and pretty much numbs the tongue to any competitive flavor elements.

It's really quite simple-if you don't like raspberries, you won't like this. It so happens, though, that I love them! Still, it's so sweet and tart that it could have some limits on how much I'd drink. Yet, the flavor is a wonderful departure from so many other beers, so I'd gladly enjoy this, in moderation, but not too stricly so, if only to keep my insulin level where it belongs. OK, I felt the need to brush my teeth after this beer to prevent instant decay, but the bottom line is it's tart and tasty, and I'll gladly partake whenever the mood strikes me.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance – I’m just starting to try this style so excuse my surprise, but man is this thing red. Purple-red, really, exactly like a raspberry. The head is the same damn color. It all looks cool as heck, though.

Smell – This has a very pungent aroma. The raspberries are pure and jump right out of the glass. I can’t smell anything except that strong raspberry aroma.

Taste – This is sweet and super sour raspberries, like a Shock Tart. I recently gave up eating hard candy, which I love, for dental reasons but this brings it all back. Terrific!

Mouthfeel – The lip-smacking cheek-sucking sweet and sour candy notes make you stand up and take note. This is light to medium in the body and a real “holder.”

Drinkability – I’m convinced! I loved this stuff.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

The fragrance is profound -- fresh and vibrant with LOTS of raspberry. The aroma begins to take over a small room shortly after cracking the corked and capped bottle. Bubbles are tiny and vigorous. The color of the brew is perfectly raspberry with a pink sunset colored head that leaves gently sporadic lacings on the glass. I am unable to discern any of the usual properties of beer in the smell. All the malt, wheat, hops, and yeast are masked by the rich infusion of fruit. There is perhaps a slight hint of grapefruit citrus and banana in the nose.

The taste is of tart fruit with a pleasantly sour finish. This beer is unique, celebratious and fun but I couldn't make a habit of it. For all its charm, it's not exactly a session beer, is it? I bet some good framboise would go well over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. An ice cream float perhaps? Ooooo...gotta try that.

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It be red. Really red, with a really small red tinged head.

Smells like chocolate, nuts, and bannana, J/K. I mean raspberry. A lot of raspberry.

Tastes like, well, raspberry. A lot of raspberry. Sickly sweet, but that is the nature of this beast. My wife loves it. I can take it in limited doses. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is like a coating of sugar. A great after dinner beverage.

Drinakable to the end. No perception of alcohol at all. Lots of fruit. Couldn't do this one often though.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

this has got to be one of my favorite fruit beers...pours a deep decadent red with a nice thick pink head ...the aroma of fresh berries jumps right up into your nose...the flavor is intense full bodied raspberry with just a aftertaste hint of malt to let you know you are still drinking beer....it is tart with a decent bite...this is defintely a good one to use as an alternative to an apartif or dessert wine....this one sort of has gotten the wrap of girly beer as we usually recommend it to our non-beer crazed friends of the female persuasion...and i have yet to have one of them not say they love it and order it all the time...i really love the true fruitiness of this beer though....i can imagine it making a nice spring picnic wine.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Very deep raspberry color with a small head that lasted throughout. Lace was present along the glass. The smell of this leaps out at me. Very strong fruity smell. The taste is intensely fruity. Very sweet upfront and tart in the finish. But the tartiness of the fruit isn't as strong as I would have thought. I think this is because of the yeast flavor that comes in the finish. It also brings out a dryness in the end. The flavor holds in my mouth well after I have finished drinking. The body is really smooth and the flavors work well. I could not drink this too often or too much at once because of the intensity of the fruit flavor (and the price) but it is good to have once in awhile. I don't know if these are beers or wines or what, but they are good.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans