Lindemans Framboise | Brouwerij Lindemans

good
Read the review
Lindemans FramboiseLindemans Framboise

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

2.5-4.0% ABV

Added by Todd on 11-01-2000

Reviews: 1,038 | Ratings: 2,762
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Whether or not lambics are your thing - this beer is the absolute best in its class, hands down. Everything about it says raspberry.

I pours a deep purple red topped off by a healthy pink head reminiscent of champagne. The smell rising from this beer is unlike anything I have ever smelled before – it’s the concentrated essence of raspberries. Not fake raspberry perfume smell, but the freshness of real berries plucked straight from the bush. The nose of this beer carries the feeling of summer days in it.

The taste is all that is promised by the nose. A strong raspberry sweetness hit first, quickly giving way to a tart flavor. The raspberry taste is backed up very subtlety with more traditional beer flavors, most notably a mild earthiness. The mouthfeel of the beer is bright and highly carbonated with just a tad of syrup thickness to provide some body.

This beer is not for everyone, and it's certianly not something I would drink everyday, but it is the top dog in the world of raspberry lambics.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Deep red-purple, big head, tons of lace down the glass.

Nice aroma, tart raspberries coated in sugar.

Very crisp, nice and smooth. Juice like feel, candy sweetness. Doesn't really taste like beer. Pleasant tartness with a moderate sweetness. Sour-horsey flavor fades in and out. Faint raspberry aftertaste.

Very pleasant beer. Very unlike other raspberry beers.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

This beer is totally different than every other beer that I have ever tried. It is very sweet....almost too much. I would like to try this in a Chocolate Stout to mute the sugary flavor. I could only drink this once in a while and when I do, in small amounts. The bros described it as being champagne like. I totally agree! That is the best way to describe this beer.

--Joey

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

7 oz in a wine glass served on-tap at The Sanctuary in Iowa City (Iowa) in January 2005. Pinkish bubbles only around the rim of the glass over a cloudy ruby red liquid. Smells fresh clean raspberry. Some citrus (lime and lemon) and perhaps some pineapple, too. Tastes very sweet raspberry initially which quickly turns to citrus mildly sour and finishes quite dry. Raspberry prevails, but lime and lemon are clear and some pineapple with searching. I think I can even taste raspberry seeds. Very mild carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Good thing this has such a dry finish, because it keeps the beverage from being cloyingly sweet.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer pours a dark raspberry red color with a thin pink head that stays on the beer. The aroma is raspberries but there is a hint of some complex esters in the background. Taste is sweet raspberries balanced with an acidity tartness. This is sweeter than your typical lambic, the fruit flavor covers up the funk you usually find in a lambic. This beer is too sweet for me to drink them all night long. A decent beer, and a great introduction for the style. True sour fiends will find it too sweet though.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Red body and pink head that stays well and gives good lace. Decent carbonation.
Smell is incredible, fresh sweet/tart raspberries all over the place.
Taste is even better than the smell, it's like a mouthful of fresh raspberries with a tartness that somehow comes off as mostly sweet. Aftertaste is fading sweet/tart, quite pleasant.
Mouthfeel is clean and simple, good body, fuller than I expected and leaves just the slightest coating.
Definitely a beer I could drink several of and the low abv makes it an easy brew to have more of.
This beer has amazing focus, it never strays from the raspberry theme, not in the look, smell or taste, very well done.

-Oelergud

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

My first Lambic - poured dark red with a short lived pink, yes pink, head. The last bubble poured seemed to dance around the glass, fooling me into thinking something was alive in there for a moment. Aroma is powerful, very tart raspberry. Veryy fizzy in the mouthful. First sip reveals serious tartness. 1 sip lasts a long, long time. But I want more. the flavors are playing with every inch of my tonge. It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited. Long lasting raspberry tart and sourness in the finish.

I went into this not knowing if I'd like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Will definitely be seeking out more of this style.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a cloudy muted burgundy with an off white head that diminishes down to a thin layer quickly. The nose is moderately of tart raspberries. The taste is a nice belance between the tart and sweet raspberries. Moderately carbonated mouthfeel. I've never been a big fan of the framboise style but this one is quite palatable to me. I have heard that there are better ones out there, though. Must seek them out.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours burgundy with no head and some rope-like pink lacing. The aroma is very fruity - mostly raspberries. The taste is full of raspberry flavor but the battle between sweet and tart rages all the way through the sip to the finish( almost a candy like - sweetarts - quality to it. It is medium bodied and moderately carbonated. This beer is very drinkable if in the right mood for it.

Reflection: This is a great beer to introduce someone to lambic's.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Was better on tap. Sweet, syrupy raspberry ice-cream like, only less bitter and more syrupy sweet. Raspberry aroma. Dessert jammy. Sweet fizzy more than offsetting sourness of it all. Up from a soda at a steep price. Only medium mouthfeel. Drank it, done that.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Aroma is sweet, fresh, raspberry fruitiness. A touch of sourness. There is a dull flat quality.
Raspberry red. Pink/red one inch head of some duration. Lacing.
Not as sweet as I had anticipated. It is sweet, but not ridiculous. Touch of sourness is nice.
Terrifically soft carbonation, despite the large amount. Soft yet hefty.
Not necessarily a strong lambic quality to it. Fruit dominates, but this is pleasuable.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours slightly murky cranberry and blood-red around the edges when it catches the light just right. The head is dense, well over an inch tall, nice retention -- light purple with hints of pink.

Smell:

Raspberries doused in sugar and left to marinate over night. The base is a musty "horse blanket."

Taste:

Not sure I was prepared for the sweetness -- wow. Huge, tart raspberry sweetness, followed by a hearty kick of malt that at moments smacks of strong blue cheese.

Mouthfeel:

A little syrupy, lots of carbonation.

Sorta like a wine cooler, but with a lot more character.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

This is the first lambic that I have ever had, not counting that nonsense from Sam Adams. I have to say, I was extremely suprised.

Appearance- Dark pink / red color to the beer with a pinkish head. Very nice looking, certainly as a raspberry beer should look.
Smell- Raspberries! Not suprising, considering the beer, very pleasant, I happen to like the smell of raspberries.
Taste- An explosion of raspberry taste, a slight tartness to the finish. Tasty, very tasty, the wheat base to this beer provides a nice baseline for the raspberries.
Mouthfeel- Pretty strong carbonation, slgihtly acidic feeling. Nothing wrong with it.
Drinkability- Delicious, I wanted another one badly when I was done. It was a joy to drink this 750ml bottle.

All in all an excellent beer. This is a great introduction to the style, I would highly recommend it, and I cannot wait to try the other Lindemans offerings.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Presentation: 355 ml bottle, in a tall pilsner glass.

Appearance: Bright red color, with an initially big head of reddish-pink foam (that settles down pretty quickly.

Aroma: Reminds me of the raspberry Otterpops popcicle more than it does raspberries.

Flavor: Very tart raspberry flavor, but with good woody, slightly vegetal undertones. Acidity shines through at the end, with a good lingering sourness.

Body: Highly carbonated, medium-low body.

I taste more lambic flavors in this than in the other fruit beers from Lindemans. It's still a little sweet for my taste, but there's a lot left to love about this beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this one on tap at the Bad Dog tavern on Lincoln Ave in Chicago. It is really more of a restaurant than a bar, but they have a great tap selection. I had this one served with the desert course.

The beer was poured into a 10 oz marked flute. The beer is a nice metallic red with a decent slightly pink head,

Big nose of raspberry and a bit of malt. The fruit aroma smells like fresh berries instead of syrup.

The taste is fruity but not overly sweet. While the raspberry dominates, there is some malt backbone that keeps things in check. The taste stays very consistent as you work your way through the beer.

The mouthfeel is slightly thin, but the carbonation level seems well suited to this beer. Easy enough beer to drink, but one or two is plenty for me. The beer goes very well with chocolate, key lime pie, cheese cake, well you get the idea, but it is also very tasty on its own.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

One of my last beverages on a world tour of beers, I normally wouldn’t give this a go. Served in a Lindeman’s champagne flute and had a luminous claret, mild haze, fluffy pink head.

Hefty grenadine and raspberry aroma filled my nostrils.

Syrup sweet raspberry flavor up front with a tartness that added certain likeability. The finish is syrupy sweet, very overpowering and reminds me why I don’t dig lambics.

The feel was velvet. Drinkabilty? I didn’t finish this and gave it to a friend. I’m not saying it was terrible just not my liking. I try to be fair even with my displeasure in Lambics.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

my first sampling (that i can recall) within the lambic style (no the SA cranberry lambic does not count). it pours a nice reddish-purple raspberry colour with a mild bubby pink head that leaves only a touch of residue on the glass. the smell is strong but nice: sweet and sour with raspberry dominiating. reminds me of sweet tarts. the flavour is that of a fruit punch gone awry, but in a good way. raspberry once again dominates this fruity brew that, if i hadn't known so and was just handed it blind, wouldn't have suspected this to be a beer at all. the mouthfeel has a bubbly champagne like quality to it at times (though maybe not that carbonated, but you get the idea). i can't think of many other ways to describe this one aside from sweet and sour and full of raspberry fruit flavour. it's different but good and makes for a nice after dinner/dessert drink. i'd need to have it in small quantity, but i'd sample this one again.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Dark purple color with a fizzy lavender head. A very sour aroma rises from the glass with a nice hint of rassberries in the background. Has a nice carbonation that creates a fizzy counterpoint that goes well with the sourness in the flavor. Except for the strong interplay from sweet to sour and back again the mouthfeel is light and makes for easy drinking.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce, green bottle, comes with a small cork and cap. Pours a lush,muddy and cloudy tone of plum. Reddish tiny bubble head, leaves well articulated lacing. Nose is pure fruity rasberries and hints of cherries. Simple lovely stuff, fresh, complex, tons of fruit sweetness. its crisp, refreshing and all together differant from what we usually associate with "Beer" This is a style that can take a while to warm up to but I'm slowly getting there. Looking foward to more future tasty and interesting Lambic.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Deep scarlet with maraschino cherry highlights. The light pink head is exceptionally small due to a gentle caress of a pour. My second and final pour was vigorous and I received a frothy one finger cap for my efforts. Framboise looks for all the world like red pop. The nose is intensely fruity and smells like concentrated essence of crushed, sweetened raspberries. It is, by far, the most powerfully fruity nose of any beer that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff.

Thankfully, the beer tastes exactly like it smells. There's only one flavor here and that is... raspberries! It's simple, it's direct, it's flavorful, it's the liquid essence of the fruit. There's a delightful balance between sweet and tart, making it marginally less sweet than the Melbourne Bros. fruit beers. I think I like it better for that very reason. My sense is that I'd prefer a lambic that's even more tart and less sweet. The energetic carbonation lightens what could otherwise have been a heavy, syrupy mouthfeel.

Like all such beers, Lindemans Framboise is probably best consumed in single bottle portions due to the high sugar content. The price is also limiting; I think I paid in the neighborhood of $6 for this 12 oz. bottle. Since my lambic knowledge/experience is still in its infancy, I thought that I'd start here. I'm really looking forward to taking the training wheels off and getting into the 'racing bike' lambics as soon as possible. It should be a fun ride.

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz bottle served in a tradition tulip ale glass

This was my first adventure into the realm of belgian lambics. With no idea of what to expect, I poured this beer into a glass.

Before I could even get an ounce poured into the glass, the overpowering aroma of rasberries hit me like a slap across the face. Overpoweringly sweet and strong aroma. Are lambics supposed to be this sweet?

Color was a dark cloudy red. Not amber like many ales, not mahogany like a good barleywine. RED. shockingly RED.

With some trepidation, I took the first sip. Not bad, not bad at all. It is sweet and does taste overpoweingly of rasberries. Smooth flavor all the way through and the sweetness does not become cloying, as I sort of expected it to. They undertones of the malt and other beer flavors are very very faint, but if you're patient, they are there.

Thank god the carbonation is at a minimum. Otherwise, this would seem more like a rasberry soda pop.

I think I would would like it a little better with a little less rasberry.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a beautiful bright dark red violet. It is slightly translucent and brimming with sediment. The smell is straightforward of a spritzy rasberry punch. The taste delivers a full bodied smooth sweet beer with plenty of rasberry with a good bit of effervesence. It is smooth and oily in the mouth with a nice bubble to it. A great sweet fruit beer and when I'm in the mood a definate choice.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased for my wife the other night while out at dinner. $8 for any lambics at Red Star here in Baltimore. She hadn't had any of these since she was in Belgium a few years back. Presentation was in the bottle as pictured; foil and cork with no freshness date. The waiter actually opened and presented the beer like a fine wine.

Poured a deep ruby red with a large bubbled purple head. It quickly dissipated into a clinging ring around the edge of the wine glass. (After that presentation, and their limited glass selection, we stuck with the theme.)

Deep raspberry sugar aroma. The flavor is a nice raspberry sweetness upfront, with a nice tart finish. If someone made a perfect raspberry cola, this is exactly the way it should taste. One wouldn't know that this necessary was a beer. Nice carbonation with a clean mouthfeel and finish. Very drinkable. I think I need to take her back to Europe...

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle was both corked and capped. Interesting.

After application of both sides of my bottle opener I was able to get to the beer.

It pours a rich purple in color, with a small head of tight purplish bubbles. Frothy but quick to dissipate.

The smell is luxuriant. Fresh sweet raspberries, Jolly Rancher candies, and the barest whiff of malt.

Taste is little different than fruit juice. Crisp, refreshing notes of fruit settle on the tongue immediately. There is a subtle texture to this that allows the taste to cling to the tongue and lips, providing a nice aftertaste. The malt is subtle but it manages to speak up in the swallow, coming out less like a beer and more like cereal. But the overwhelming influence is the berries.

The style is unusual, that's for sure. I found it difficult to decide if I was really drinking an alcoholic beverage and not just fizzy fruit juice (and the cost was too prohibitive to buy several and see the results of drinking them all at once), but for a change of pace this is nice. I think I'd rather have a cider when push comes to shove, but this is tasty enough.

4.95/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: Crystal-clear ruby color with a small pink (!) head, fast rising champagne-like carbonation and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Absolutely profound aroma of freshly-picked raspberries and cream with an ancillary musty, sour note, possibly an artifact of the lambic process.

Taste: Sharp, tangy, mouth-watering juicy raspberries dominate with an underlying tart, sour note. Finishes with a slightly musty note and a fairly strong wave of alcohol.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very full, almost syrupy, with a distinct puckering quality from the tart and sour flavors.

Drinkability/notes: An utterly superb lambic. Words fail to convey the grandeur of this spectacular beer. This is most assuredly not a session beer, rather it shines as an aperitif or dessert selection and will dazzle the ladies. Thanks to BA Hardtarget for sharing this wonderful beer.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans