Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,271 |  Reviews: 533

2.04/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Purchased at Woodmans Markets (Madison, WI)

Appearance: The pour is a dark maroon and crimson color with a light pink and crimson head. If the color wasn't such a dark red I think it'd be pretty clear. It's also quite effervescent. When I popped the cork a bit of foam was starting to build up near the top of the bottle. Each pour also releases a big wave of carbon dioxide. For how sweet this smells there isn't much lace on the side of my glass.

Smell: The nose is of extremely sweet cherries. There's a little bit of cherry cough medicine in there too, along with some chalky calcium carbonate aroma. On top of the sweetness sits a little bit of sour, perhaps from the skin of the cherries. It smells just a little bit tart. Personally, I don't care for a nose this sweet. It smells like I just poured a glass of fruit juice.

Taste: The palate isn't much better than the nose. A very sweet cherry flavor up front with a little bit of tartness as well. Throughout the entire tasting it was like there was a sweet syrup making up the entire flavor. Just like how Coke is made with that syrup and carbonated water, this tasted like carbonated water with a dash of alcohol pumped with fruit syrup.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied beer, but the carbonation on it is pleasant right from the beginning.

Drinkability: Not what I was really in the mood for. It was just too sweet of a beer, and I didn't really think it was a true lambic. Absolutely no funk and over the top sweet. This is candy, not beer.

2.09/5  rDev -46.1%

It seems to me that I tried this many years ago and was quite indifferent about it, while thinking its not really my style. Tried this again at a beer tasting last evening.

The appearance is bright reddish purple with a thin lighter colored head. The smell is off putting, not because of the cherry but the quality. It's an obviously artificially contrived scent reminiscent of ludens cough drops. The taste follows, sticky sweet cherry soda mixed with aspartame. The aftertaste of this sweetner lingers. Surprisingly and perhaps disappointingly there is not much sourness here. I'll be fair and keep appearance and drinkability at the average mark. Kool Aid and cheap wine coolers are big sellers. This is easy to drink with no big boozy taste. I just don't know why anyone would opt for this? To me craft beer is all about the best ingredients, not artificial crap!

2.32/5  rDev -40.2%

Okay, I should know better I have had other beer (if you could call it that) by Lindemans. It almost tastes like cough syrup that is chilled and carbonated. My mom usually does not drink beer, so on the advice of some friends I bought a bottle, she said it was way too sweet and I tend to agree with her. I some how keep trying to get her to drink beer when I see her, but she never goes for it, and this one did not seem to help.

2.39/5  rDev -38.4%

poured 12oz bottle into tulip

A- poured a plumb color with a thin lighter purple head that didn't stay around long. there was a loud fizz reminiscent of a soda

S- actually like the smell. very sweet cherry aroma with a hint of alcohol that reminds you that it is a beer

T- cherry is obviously the dominate note. very sweet as it hits the palate then turns to tangy on the aftertaste. a very sour taste that is not enjoyable for me

M- too much fizz and carbonation. couldn't let it sit in the mouth very long because of the overpowering sweetness

D- I don't want to be too unfair because I am not a fan of lambics but have a real hard time even considering this a beer. reminds me of a Zima with a life savor that my girlfriend use to try to get me to drink in college

2.43/5  rDev -37.4%

Uh-oh...is it the evening, me, or this beer? Ruby red with a dissapointing head...unmistakeable scent of cherry--almost cherry cola!....syrupy sweet...I'm thinking Sucrets?...fizzy palate--to the point of acidic throat attack....cherrys in taste, yes--robust, almost seething with cherries, but not in a Ms. Pacman kind of way...so strange to have such a drastic swing in experiences between the framboise and the kriek....perhaps in between both is the better review, but this kriek seems to be intruding my taste buds with a medicinal taste that doesn't leave me with a "beer" experience...perhaps a future re-reviewer...

2.49/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Pours a cloudy red color with no lacing and no head. Has a strong cherry aroma with a little sourness but more like old sweat socks. Not appeasing to me. A very sweet cherry taste. Too much. Sourness more akin to the old sweat socks. It is medium bodied with no carbonation. Not really a beer I enjoy. Not a lambic fan overall. Couldn't finish the little bit I poured.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a cloudy red Kool Aid color with a thin pink head that doesn't hold up too well. No lacing. Smells like cherry Pixie Stick poured into a mix of cherry cough syrup and cherry freezer pop. Way too sweet and artificial smelling with no real lambic characteristics. The cough medicine aspect is pretty well absent in the flavor, thankfully, but the Pixie Stick and Flav-R-Ice or whatever is still there in abundance. Really sweet and artificial tasting, but has a bit of a tart edge towards the middle that lasts to the finish: which then holds some hints at lambic funk, but it is drowned out by the sugar. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and syrupy and has a spritzy carbonation. This is really too sweet to enjoy fully, especially since I know in the back of my head that for the exact same price, one can have a really good traditional lambic that isn't cut with other stuff to make it more accessible and boring. Overall, this is like someone mixed some raspberry cordial in with my beer. Not bad altogether, but not what I would call a good lambic.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans