Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,268 |  Reviews: 533

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : gueuze à la robe rouge foncé, mousse compacte mais faible rosée et peu tenace, dégagement gazeux faible
Smell : nez fruité de cerise et sucré (sirop)
Taste and mouthfeel : très douce en bouche, acidulée, trop sucré et n'offre aucune amertume
Drinkability : une bière lambic moyenne

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

I have had this a few times in the US. I bought this bottle at Asda (Walmart in the UK) and it had a different label and was only 3.5% alcohol. So I am not sure what the deal with this is but there was nothing else on the label to make me think it is a different beer as I have nothing else to compare it to.

A - Deep cherry red with a pretty pink head that left a really nice lacing.

S -Sweet smell of Maraschino Cherries, a bit artificial.

T - Slightly sour Ludens cherry cough drops. I loved these as a kid, but if I want candy I'll buy candy. Also I could deal with an overly sweet cherry beer, but overly sweet artificial cherry flavoring is not what I am looking for.

M&D - Not overly carbonated compared to most lambics. Went down well. Way too sweet for me to drink more than one.

I actually used the rest of this to blend with a stout that I thought was a bit bland and the two went well together.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

forst 25cl bottle only 3.5 ABV and two months over date (which i dare risk with lambic style beers)

A: Hazy, dark red colour, almost no head (not that strange for a lambic)

S: Cherries a bit sweet but still real cherries, some tartiness

T: Way sweeter than I expected, tastes more artificial then it smells, not doing it for me

M: It could do with a bit more gas, a bit too sticky

O: It's a no for me, i like my cherrie beers sour, i knew this was more on the sweet side, but it is really at the end of the spectre. Not my thing

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

Too sugary, reminds me of cough syrup.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Reddish-pink color in both the beer and the very rocky head. Nose is all sour cherries - little hint of lambic aromas. Palate has an acidic attack but this is quickly subsumed by a wavy of sweet cherry/cotton candy. There is some length, but little complexity. My sample seemed a bit over-carbonated for the style as well. This is a beer to serve with a fruit tart or strawberry shortcake.

Bias-disclosure: I like my lambics/krieks/geuze very traditional. I want bracing acidity and sourness and I, most of all, want to taste the complexity of the lambic(s). This had none of these elements. The cherries should be just a part of the palate of a Kriek, not its sole compenent. It kills me that Lindeman's markets a beer this sweet - I wish they'd make a more traditional kriek as well because I know that the under-lying lambic is a quality product but here it is completely obliterated by the cherries and, especially, the sugar.

2.66/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

appearance: poured red with orange tint around the edge with a 1 inch fizzy pink head.

smell: very fruit, such as pear, pineapple and cherry. Got scent of vinegar and a hint of dough.

taste and mouthfeel: light body, watery, fizzy carbonated with a sweet start and a very acidic aftertaste.

drinkability: very light and easy to pound.

Overall, I thought this brew was alittle off. The strong vinegar scent and taste reminded me off drinking kambuca ( a fermented tea drink drank in South America and Japan).

2.69/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in a fluted strange)

A- This beer pours a slightly dense crystal clear glowing deep red body with a microfizz that races toward the surface. There is a ping foam head that last for most of the beer.

S- The sharp smell of Luden's cherry cough drops finish with a medicinal bite the grows as the beer opens.

T- The dark sweet cherry flavor is very artificial tasting with a chemical cough syrup taste to follow and a dark medicinal tonic bitterness in the finish.

M- The medium mouthfeel has no astringency or alcohol heat and a soft tight fizz in the finish.

O- This beer has a syrupy cherry taste that is not fresh fruit at all but just all artificial. I haven't had Luden's cough drops since I was a kid but one sip of this beer and I fell like I was sick in bed. I couldn't find any other characters in this beer.

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%

375ml bottle, poured into my Duvel Tulip. Pours a cherry red color, red foam fills the glass. Immediately when I popped the cork, cherry pie filling fills my nostrils. On a deeper smell inspection, I get an almost artificial cherry pie aroma. Taste- super super tart cherries. Nauseating. No funk, just pure tart. I feel like I'm eating cherry pie filling out of a can. Its overwhelming. This is going to be painful to finish...I am into Sours, Lambics, Gueze, Wilds, but either this is a crappy version of Kriek, or I don't like Kriek. Drinkability- brutal, unless you like Cherry pie filling out of a can.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

I couldn't tell if this was beer or salad dressing. I realize I'm well in the minority here, but I just couldn't enjoy this beer. Still, it had some redeeming qualities.

The smell was sweet, full of cherries. And it didn't seem like artificial cherries, like some beers.

The taste started similarly sweet, but goes tart very fast. Sour cherries take over, like an unstoppable rebel force. It leaves me feeling like I just sucked on a vinegar popsicle.

It felt nice, with some smooth fizzyness, but I really couldn't drink much of this.

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%

nice two finger foam. retention lasts a few minutes. lacing is nice. clear ruby color.

smells like cherry flavored cough syrup

tastes like sweet cherry flavored cough syrup with a mix of cherry flavored smirnoff's ice. very sweet.

mouthfeel is velvety. decent carbonation.

mediciney taste is not very good. would not buy again. might drink as part of a fruit punch bowl.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Bright red color with a smallish fizzy pink head. Smell reminds me of New Glarus Belgian Red, which I didn't like. Cherry fruit gushers. Where's that Lambic quality. It's also missing in the taste. There's just a lot of juicy sweetness to it. It tastes like cherry juice. A bit syruppy. Finish is drier though which makes it somewhat drinkable. I guess I just don't care for cherry beers too much, but this seems to have almost no lambic qualities.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

I was honestly disappointed. The appearance was fine. Smell, strong cherry. The taste was faintly like cherry cough syrup. Mouthfeel, light carbonation. Overall, anti-climatic. Starts out decently, but leaves the cheery cough syrup aftertaste on the palette.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

As I pop the cork from this beer a strong note of sticky, sweet cherry hits my nose. The beer pours with a thickish dirty pink colored head. The beer is a red color with a pinkish tinge to it. The aroma has nothing but a sweet cherry drop candy note. The cherry is rich smelling but is missing the cherry pit note that is in good Krieks.

The taste has an over the top sweetness to it that really just dominates this beer in both palate and flavor. There is a strong cherry note as well, and perhaps a bit of cherry skin complexity thrown in as well, but overall this does not even have the fruit character that the Lindemans Framboise has. Simplistic and straight forward, it is perhaps a bit easier to drink than the Framboise, but I do like cherries better than raspberries. There is also a bit of tartness in the finish here, but this wisp of a flavor is all that says that this might be something that is Lambic base.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans