Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Reviews: 523 | Ratings: 1,222
2.97/5  rDev -23.5%

Whew, this one was tough to get through for me... Very sweet...

Poured a very nice reddish color with a nice fluffy head but was full of sediment..

Aroma of sweet cherries...not much else...

Wow, this was way too sweet... I was hoping for a bit of a vinous quality but it tasted more like a cherry wine cooler...

Didn't care for this very much... Only made it halfway through the bottle before I had to give it up..

2.99/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If I want cherry juice, I buy cherry juice (or cherries!). If I want beer (yes, thank you, I don't mind if I do!), I buy beer. It might be a conservative attitude, but I see no reason to buy an over-priced combination of the two. Refreshing? Sure. Best cherry soda I've ever had? Indeed. But beer? Nooooo......!

2.99/5  rDev -22.9%

Purchased from Wayne's Package Store, near Warrior, AL.

A: Deep red color towards top, tends more light towards the bottom of the pilsener glass.

S & T: Cherry aroma, with a tart after. As the beer warms, the tartness becomes more prominent.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

D: Not too drinkable for my taste, but fans of lambics will enjoy it. My fiancee, who drinks lambics but no other type of beer, prefers Lindeman's Framboise to this.

Ever had a Ludens cherry cough drop? If you answered yes then you know exactly what this beer looks, smells, and tastes like. None of the tartness that I cherish in cherry beers is more then faintly present here. This one is pure sweet cherries and syrup. It’s very medicinal, not quite to the point where it would resemble cough syrup but close. I find this to be too sweet and artificial tasting for me. I also think that the head could be more impressive and the aromas bigger. Overall I think that this might do well as a desert beer for women with sweet teeth but otherwise it’s pretty mediocre.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that the colors of most Lineman's products especially the Framboise, and now the Kriek, seem downright un-natural? This stuff looks more like the color of a popscicle than a Kriek. Blazing cherry pie red with a nose that can only be jolly rancher red, the beer enters the mouth and even tastes like jolly rancher red-candied and very sweet, this is an after dinner drink or a dessert beer in my book. The beer has none of the sour that I love in the style. I guess this is just the ticket for the so called pepsi generation, but I'll throw my money at the likes of De Ranke, that offer a more complex, complete, challenging, and thirst quenching Kriek. This is pure sugar and would make a nice flavor for a kids breakfast cereal-perhaps one called "."Lindenberries." Maybe they could add little hop shaped crunchies?

Appearance - Purple with a creamy light purple head.

Aroma - Lots of black cherry and surar smells.

Mouthfeel - Thick body with fizzy carbonation.

Taste - Very sweet, lots of black cherry flavor.

Overall - Very one dimensional, but a nice desert beer.

3.01/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a very deep red color with a pink head. Smell has none of the usuall lambic funk that I expected, instead it smells sugary sweet. Taste is way too sweet with none of the expected sourness at all. Very strong cherry tasting, almost as if a sugary cherry syrup had been used and not real cherries. Mouthfeel is lacking on carbination. Drinkable, but there are better lambics out there.

3.02/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 750ml pressure cap/cork bottle into a tulip glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Pink head that dissolves very quickly. Purplish body, low clarity. Interesting looking beer, but not very appealing.

S- Black cherries, very sweet and slightly tart.

T- Tastes like grape juice. Some minor funk at the tail end. Not feeling it.

M- Vinous and bubbly.

O- This beer is a disappointment to me. I like Krieks but I just don't seem to like Lindemans.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - 4.5
Poured gently into my stange, three fingers of solid, thick, pink head formed over a burgundy-red body that is quite transparent and looks to be highly carbonated. The head retained well and left plenty of lacing.

Smell - 3.5
Sweet and jam like, big cherry aroma that is a little sour and a little vinegary. A powdery aroma similar to that of musk candy is also present.

Taste - 3.0
Not as sour and more sweet than a traditional lambic, but not to the point of making this a "girly drink", although many women will like this, no doubt. Very sweet upfront with stewed cherry being the predominant flavour, only very slightly sour and vinegary, finishes with a big hit of cough medicine. The aftertaste is sweet and fruity, quite pleasant. Becomes sweeter as it warms, so best drink it straight out of the fridge.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
The fine but lively carbonation died quickly, leaving the beer almost flat and quite syrupy.

Drinkability - 2.5
This became harder to drink the warmer it got. It was quite drinkable when very cold.

OVERALL - 3.3
The most important message with this beer is to drink it ice cold, when it is more sour, more carbonated and less sweet. Were it not for the oversweetness, this would score much higher. Not a bad beer, but its one big flaw really lets it down. Judging by some of the old reviews, I think this one has been dumbed down (i.e. sweetened up) for the masses.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Cloudy pinkish ruby hue. Light pinkish white head that turns into a film, but remain satisfying to look at. Explosion of cherries in the nose, extreme sweetness that approaches vanilla. Very mild wheat acidity, but seriously too sweet to refresh. Cloying finish, lively carbonation, medium soft body.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: incredible fluffy head on this thing that reminded me of a rootbeer float. bright clear red, definitely what you'd expect from a cherry beverage.

Smell: a hint of super sweet cherry cough syrup to this beautiful beer.

Taste: did i already mention cherry cough syrup? seriously, its not as strong as a cough syrup, which makes it easier to drink, but I find myself having to take dainty sips to keep from being overwhelmed. i dont get the goatish taste that dbalsock insists exists - and if anyone were to pick up goat, it'd be me.

Mouthfeel: creamy texture with a nice light carbonation. bitter as it moves back.

Drinkability: overall, good. if it were my only option, i could see myself easily having one or easily passing. i think i'm just not a fan of cherry.

355 ml bottle with cork and cap into a champagne flute:

Appearance: Beautiful, a deep cherry color and a pink head, nice retention, lacing on the side of the glass as I drink it.

Smell: Sweet/sour cherry candy, kind of syrupy. A little like cherry Nyquil.

Taste: Sweet like a cherry cough drop in the front, sour in a kind of medicinal way in the back.

Mouthfeel: More syrupy than I would have thought, kind of coats the mouth.

Drinkability: The flavor is a bit too much like cough syrup to make me want to have more than one glass. I would pass this over in favor of other Lindemans products (I was expecting more because I really enjoy the Framboise) .

Also of note: I reviewed this after reviewing the De Ranke Kriek earlier the same evening. I went back to the De Ranke after a glass of this.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Popped this open because I knew the ladies would like it. Cork was a bastard to extract in this case, but I eventually wriggled it out and it gave a loud pop.

Can't argue with the appearance. Deep red with a fluffy pink head that tends to stick around.

Aroma is of sweet black cherry, like a black cherry soda. I know full well this is a sweetened lambic, but even so I'd like to smell a bit more than just the base fruit syrup.

Unsurprisingly, the taste is mostly black cherry soda. I'm not going to bash the beer just because it's sweetened....these beers have a time and place. However, I still think you need a bit more than just sweet fruit. This is just not tart enough, there's nothing fighting the sweetness. Even with the Framboise, I find more tart going along with the sweet, I think that's overall a better drink than this Kriek.

Feel is very good, it's very smooth with ample light carbonation.

Sure, I can drink it. It's just that I feel there are better beers even within the Lindemans line of sweetened lambics. Still overall decent for what it is.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a dark cherry red color with a nice fizzy white head that lasted till the last sip.
The smell reminded me too much of a cherry flavored cough syrup. It was quite strong in cherry and a bit sour in the smell but it had a dominating medicine like smell to it. Hope the taste isnt like that.
The taste I was pleased by the fact that it wasnt medicine like the smell at all. It was of dark ripe cherries with a slight sour aftertatste that left the mouth watering for more.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

KREEK - tastes like creek water, just kidding. They call this beer?? These beers with corks should be called lite wines. Nothing like other beers, very fruity.. but very tame, subtle, and still a bit complex. Yes, its sugary, and tart, that doesn't neccessarily make it horrid, just very different. The overpowering (to me) yeasts and sour cherry flavor tell me to pass this one to the women.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Kriek gives off aromas full of cherry fragrances. It pours like a soda and looks like one too. There is a lot of carbonation which creates a thin sticky looking head. It really looks like a colored champagne. This tastes like a soft drink as well. Very full of tart cherry flavor and not much else. This is refreshing and I'll have to try out some other Lambics so I can get a basis for comparison.

Lindeman's Kriek Lambic pours out a fluffy pink
head over a cloudy ruby brew. The nose is of
black cherries (which is what the Belgians call
Kriek) and oak. Carbonation is moderate, and
the flavor is of black cherry and quite tart. I've
been trying to find a really dry Lambic- this is a
lot less sweet than some of Lindeman's other
Lambics but it's not quite there yet. In his Great
Beer Book, Michael Jackson mentions that to
appeal to more palates, Lindeman sweetens
their best selling Lambics, and no doubt this is
one of those. Still, the brew is pleasant to the
palate- it's just not my first choice of a beer to
pass around to the boys. It would be good with
certain desserts like cheesecake. The bottle
doesn't say, but I doubt the alcohol by volume
gets much above 5%.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Bottle has a nice classy cork under the cap, but the thing can get kind of dried out as I think most folks store beer upright not on its side like wine. The color is very red, almost like soda pop (like Big Red or Cherwine) and the head is pink and rocky. The aroma is very, very cherry along with a faint sour note that reminds me of cranberry juice. The beer lacks some of the more funky lambic type aromas, which may be good in some folks' opinions. The flavor is a blend of tartness, strong cherry notes, along with some slight puckery astringency and a pretty good dose of sweetness to counteract the tartness. The beer is tasty overall but it doesn't go out on a limb like some of the other lambics. Still it is pleasant and it may be a good beer to suggest to a friend who isn't really into other craft beers. In contrast to Cherish, another kriek, Lindeman's seems a little more aggressive with the sourness but not by much.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Live Review. Poured into my mini snifter.

Bottle was purchased for my fiancée, and I decided to snatch a little from her and review it. Thanks honey :)

A: Pours a deep purplish red with a tiny pink head that receded quickly and left very little lacing. Tiniest of rings of bubbles cap the beer.

S: Overly sweet cherry, a tiny hint of funk and acidity. Not a lot here, but not really all that bad.

T: Sweet cherry off the bat, but as it warms the sweetness lessened it's grip on the palate. Funk is light, earthy, damp hay, and a slight mustiness. Acidity is very light and towards the finish ALMOST turns sour. What malt that does peak it's hea through is dry, almost cracker like.

M: Thin, very lightly carbonated, slick on the palate.

O: This bottle is by far the least sweet I've tried. It's also the most noticeably funky bottle I've tried as well. Being the one beer my fiancée will drink, it's in the house a lot, and I'm grateful for that fact. As a fruit beer, it's average. If you get a bottle like this one, it's not overly sweet, slightly funky and acidic. If you get a bottle like most I've had, it's overly sweet almost to the point of tasting fake (with it being artificially sweetened, that should be expected though), with very little acidity and funk.

The regular bottles I'd rate more along the lines of 3/3/2.5/3/3. This one gets a little bit higher for being better. I hope every bottle I buy for her is like this one. I won't hold my breath.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

This one poured a very clear, deep ruby red with bright pink, fine bubbles. Good head retention with solid, sticky lacing. The aroma was quite strong of sweet cherries, crossing the border into cough syrup territory. Same in the flavour, but a little tartness and faint bitterness helped cut this character. The texture was alright, palate coating without being cloying, and the carbonation was quite mild. A fair offering, but nowhere near their cassis.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

pours a deep red with a pink wispy head. The aroma is dominated by cherries and oakyness. The taste is almost entirely of cherries with some tartness, but definitely not enough. Theres also iron, oak and sacharine sweetness in the middle. The finish is of sweetish cherries. An OK Lambic, but not nearly sour or tart enough. Maybe I got an old or bad bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Opened 12 ounce bottle, poured into snifter.

Pours a dark cherry red colored brew with little to no head... mostly lacing across top of brew, and sides of glass. Lots of bubbles.

Smell is of sweet dark cherry. Amazingly, for some odd reason (sarcasm) taste is of sweet cherry too. It does finish nice, but sweetness only leaves me wanting just one - if I finish the whole thing.

But, for many, these sweet lambics are a favorite.

3.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I really enjoyed the raspberry lambi (framboise) that I had the other night so I figured I would give this a shot. Was not as good in my opinion. Still enjoyed it though

3.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost like a semi-carbonated grape juice, hardly any lacing to speak of although it is at least an attractive shade of purple.

Smell is out of control. Almost an artificial cherry, like a Jolly Rancher or Big League Chew; this takes me back on a trip I didn't ask to go on.

Very sweet but with a welcome bit of tartness at the end. There are some actual beer qualities in this lambic unlike some of the other Lindemans offerings.

Not really that great. The kind of "beer" that you'd want to reccommend to that girlfriend who just has no interest in learning anything about beer but that would at least allow you to steer her away from Bartles & James.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Pours a deep red color with a nice full pink colored head that disappears slowly leaving a nice thin lace on the glass. Very bubbly.

S: Like cherries. Very fruity smell.

T: Again, like cherries. Strong fruit flavor.

M: Seems very carbonated, but enjoyable. Nice and bubbly on the tongue.

D: Good beer but not something I could drink all the time, the 750ml bottle was plenty at one sitting.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans